Solved Computer screen turns off while gaming

Aug 27, 2023
Visit site
Hello, I've recently upgraded my graphics card and there's an issue that I'm facing, it happened with the previous card as well.

My computer goes black while playing games. The LCD gives a no signal warning and then its off, I still hear the sound of the game for a while after which there's just noise. It doesn't start until I power it off and turn it on again. Another observation is that on newer games (Watch Dogs 3) it happens within 10-20 minutes of the gameplay, whereas on older games (CSGO), it takes about 40-50 mins to happen.

I've monitored CPU and GPU temperatures, GPU temperatures are around 85-86 C just before the crash and CPU temperatures are within the normal range.

What could be the possible issue? I've ruled out the card since it happened with the old card as well.

Specs
CPU- Core i5-10400
Board- ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4
GPU- RTX 3070 8GB
RAM- 16GB DDR4
also it's a 4k monitor

The PSU can't be an issue as well because I had a 600W with the previous card and 1000W now, since it happened with the previous card as well, I think PSU can be ruled out

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What is the make/model of your current PSU? Details matter.

What are your CPU and GPU operating temps at idle and under load?

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

Is your motherboard BIOS the most recent version available for it?

Reactions: Brian Boru
Aug 27, 2023
Visit site
What is the make/model of your current PSU? Details matter.

What are your CPU and GPU operating temps at idle and under load?

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

Is your motherboard BIOS the most recent version available for it?
Its a cooler master silent pro 1000W.

At idle, CPU = 26-28 C and GPU = 36 C
Under load, CPU = 52 and GPU = 85 (on avg, it peaked to 87 for GPU and 57 for CPU)
Before the crash, CPU = 55, GPU =87

I haven't overclocked anything and the BIOS is up-to-date.

Aug 27, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

A longshot here, but I've seen it happen: make sure your sound driver is up-to-date.

Update any other drivers too. They're bleeding edge software, and an apparently irrelevant one can interfere where you wouldn't expect it to.
I'll try that. Could it be a windows 11 problem?

Just a thought, is that 16GB of RAM all from the exact same kit 2x8GB or 4x4?

Also what model was the old 600W PSU? If it was a ropey one it could have caused issues with your motherboard over time. Also interested to know about the new PSU, its a pretty old model from around 2012 that came with a 5 year warranty. Did you buy it second hand?

Aug 27, 2023
Visit site
I couldn't say, I'm still on Win10. I've seen mixed reports on Win11 for gaming, nothing conclusive—but I haven't paid close attention.

Btw you should get drivers from the parts makers rather than from Windows Update—manufacturers will always have the most up-to-date, WU may not.
Sure, I'll do that

Aug 27, 2023
Visit site
Just a thought, is that 16GB of RAM all from the exact same kit 2x8GB or 4x4?

Also what model was the old 600W PSU? If it was a ropey one it could have caused issues with your motherboard over time. Also interested to know about the new PSU, its a pretty old model from around 2012 that came with a 5 year warranty. Did you buy it second hand?
RAM is 2x8 Corsair Vengeance DDR4.

The old PSU was Thermaltake toughpower 600W and I had GTX1060 6GB with that psu. The 1000W one was laying around and I just used it.

Not much of a clue I'm afraid. Could be the GPU, CPU or RAM causing the problem. Could also be the motherboard.

On the software side you do have the latest drivers for everything installed? Latest GPU drivers especially using DDU to make sure its a fresh install, but also any motherboard chipset drivers, audio and network from the ASrock website worth updating.

Was the RAM bought as a kit in the same packet?

Aug 27, 2023
Visit site
Not much of a clue I'm afraid. Could be the GPU, CPU or RAM causing the problem. Could also be the motherboard.

On the software side you do have the latest drivers for everything installed? Latest GPU drivers especially using DDU to make sure its a fresh install, but also any motherboard chipset drivers, audio and network from the ASrock website worth updating.

Was the RAM bought as a kit in the same packet?
I'm pretty sure I've the update drivers for everything, I'll check it again manually to make sure. The GPU drivers are definitely up-to-date.

Yes, the ram was bought as a kit.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Another point to note is that the monitor shows a "No signal" warning before going all black, after which I can't do anything except hard restart the PC. Music keeps on playing for about 10 minutes before changing into a noise.

@Kaamos_Llama @Brian Boru
This is a common symptom of a GPU/PSU failure. The old CM PSU very well could be the root of the issue. Do you have access to another system to test your GPU in?

The monitor is the same. I've switched cables from HDMI to D port, have also tried different cables but the result is the same.
I don't suppose you have an old monitor lying around or a TV you can test with? Sounds like your monitor is borked, probably the ports. If your connections were tight and pulling on the ports at all that could be the problem.

Another thing you could do is make sure Windows isn't trying to put your monitor into stasis. Get rid of all the power saving settings, and make sure these ports don't turn off when Windows thinks the aren't in use.

OR your cables could be old and not fully functioning

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023
Visit site
You may not get much more from us here, I'm afraid :(

Try our sister site Tom's Hardware, they have a lot of hardware gurus there. Link to this thread so they know your answers here.
Yeah, I've already asked on a couple of forums but haven't really found a way out, so.

This is a common symptom of a GPU/PSU failure. The old CM PSU very well could be the root of the issue. Do you have access to another system to test your GPU in?
I'm afraid I don't have any other PC with a 750W+ PSU. I'll see if I can manage one and try.

I don't suppose you have an old monitor lying around or a TV you can test with? Sounds like your monitor is borked, probably the ports. If your connections were tight and pulling on the ports at all that could be the problem.

Another thing you could do is make sure Windows isn't trying to put your monitor into stasis. Get rid of all the power saving settings, and make sure these ports don't turn off when Windows thinks the aren't in use.

OR your cables could be old and not fully functioning
I'll try it on a different monitor, thats my next step. Also If its a monitor related issue, the question is why does it happen while gaming and not while idling or any other stuff, and the timing of it is always different, sometimes it happens within 10 mins, sometimes 30-40mins.

I'm gonna try running Windows 10 instead. The settings are set to Balanced.

I've changed 3 cables (2 HDMIs, 1 DPort) but its still the same.

Aug 27, 2023
Visit site
Some additional information:

I did a GPU stress test, the display went off in like 20 seconds, tried it again with the case open, same result.
How can I know for sure if its a PSU problem or an overheating problem?

I'm gonna use the GTX 1060 with the same PSU and board, Do a stress test and then see what happens.

Aug 27, 2023
Visit site
Very unlikely to be Windows 11. Next step should be trying a different monitor. One thing at a time.
I just tried GTX 1060, and it runs fine.
My GPU (3070) temperatures go up a lot, till 88,89 under load, is that okay?

And I think this might be the problem, in addition to the temperatures

Aug 27, 2023
Visit site
Solved. It was after all an overheating issue (85-89°C). I changed the thermal paste, it was all dried up but it still didn't work. Turns out the paste was bad. Then I contacted a technician who applied a new "better" paste which lowered the temps down to 70s under 100% load. I also got 3 more fans installed, and then the temperature went down in the 60s. And the problem is resolved now. Thanks everyone for your input.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts