Question Issue with build, computer won't always start on first try and monitor turns off during gaming

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
As the title says, I'm having issues with a relatively new build. The PC won't always boot up properly on the first start, seems to get stuck in a different part of the boot sequence every time and I have to turn it off and back on again a few times to get it to fire up. The monitor issue is a problem for me as well, usually in an hour or two of gaming I'll have my screen disconnect and reconnect after a few seconds, leaving me with a black screen for the time it's out.

Build specs so you know what I'm working with here:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7700X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti (Gigabyte AORUS)
Mobo: ASUS TUF X670E-Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB 6000 MHz C36
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 P5

All the research I've done seems to target the PSU as the primary issue, but I'm having a hard time believing that a platinum PSU from a good manufacturer would be bad out of the box, unless something's changed regarding EVGA that I don't know about. Any suggestions? If you think it is the PSU, are there any tests I can do to confirm for myself? I have a multimeter, I'm just not sure what would be damning evidence. My benchmark scores seem in line with what I'd expect, my programs never crash... I'm at a loss.

Thanks for any help!

Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
this might help - https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Even good companies can make bad units.

the boot up thing, have you tried with a bare bones build? though looking at parts list, only thing you could remove is ram (I assume its 2 sticks). Could be a peripheral to blame... USB.
I'll definitely give that guide a shot tomorrow, might point to a PSU issue for me. Thanks!

As for barebones, it's a bit difficult. Only 2 RAM sticks as you said, and the issue is very intermittent. Maybe does it 25% of the time.

Speaking of, my monitor blacked out and came back as I was typing this lol. Only my main monitor... could be isolated to just being a monitor defect I guess.

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
can you look in reliability history and see if any errors show up at same time as the screen going off.

So you have 2 monitors? I would think if its a power problem, both would black out. not just one.
Nope, no problems reported since September actually.

Yeah, definitely thinking the monitor issue is due to the monitor. I'll have to contact Sony and see if I can warranty it. It's now blacked out again and it came back desaturated, everything's pale in color. Lovely time.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Nope, no problems reported since September actually.

Yeah, definitely thinking the monitor issue is due to the monitor. I'll have to contact Sony and see if I can warranty it. It's now blacked out again and it came back desaturated, everything's pale in color. Lovely time.

Have you tried switching the cables between the monitors? Then you can rule out if it's the monitor, or if it's the mobo port or the cable itself. Considering both monitors support the cables. By your answer I"m assuming you indeed do have 2 monitors?

Otherwise try swapping cables if you have a spare one. Or try to move between DP / HDMI and see if that resolves it. It could be your GPU connection as well.

I can't find quicly what you've already tried doing and what not anyway so it's a bit hard to tell for personally.

As in the issues with booting, have you tried to boot the PC outside yoru case with jump starting? I think I'll recommend that every time now ever since my PC gave me issues and booted without issues on a jumpstart from my mobo box :)

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
I just installed the second monitor, so I really haven't had any troubleshooting on it so far. What it has now revealed to me, however, is that I never had a boot issue. Just turned on my PC, and my main monitor does the thing it normally does when I think there's a "boot loop"... searches for a signal on all inputs, goes back to sleep, wakes up, and repeats the process endlessly. The entire time, my new second monitor stands there, showing my lock screen. Unbelievable. I'm gonna swap my video cables now for the next couple hours while I'm gaming, and see if the main still gives me issues. I appreciate the help, even if I was going down the completely wrong path lol. Good news, my PC is fine, apparently.

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
I just installed the second monitor, so I really haven't had any troubleshooting on it so far. What it has now revealed to me, however, is that I never had a boot issue. Just turned on my PC, and my main monitor does the thing it normally does when I think there's a "boot loop"... searches for a signal on all inputs, goes back to sleep, wakes up, and repeats the process endlessly. The entire time, my new second monitor stands there, showing my lock screen. Unbelievable. I'm gonna swap my video cables now for the next couple hours while I'm gaming, and see if the main still gives me issues. I appreciate the help, even if I was going down the completely wrong path lol. Good news, my PC is fine, apparently.
Main monitor is a Sony Inzone M9 that has been giving me all these issues for reference, I'm finding more and more about what I've been dealing with the more I search about it in regards to this monitor. Never came up before as I never suspected it could be the monitor. I'm gonna be very disappointed if there isn't a fix out for this for a monitor this expensive.

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Main monitor is a Sony Inzone M9 that has been giving me all these issues for reference, I'm finding more and more about what I've been dealing with the more I search about it in regards to this monitor. Never came up before as I never suspected it could be the monitor. I'm gonna be very disappointed if there isn't a fix out for this for a monitor this expensive.
Updating the monitor right now, I'll post an update on whether it acts funny again or not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts