Question computer freezes

Aug 3, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
Since getting new PSU, mainboard, RAM and CPU my system often freezes for about 1 to 15 seconds.
mainboard: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti
RAM: G.Skill F4-2400C15-8GTZRX
PSU: some "Cooler Master" 550 watts

Temperatures and workload of CPU and GPU seem fine to me.
Chkdsk did not find problems.
No virus. No unnecessary programs.

What could be the cause and how to find out and fix?

Reactions: yuuuuuuu
Hi and welcome, I have a couple of basic suggestions/questions. There are other here who know Windows much better than me but I can start with some basics :)

If you log into Windows safe mode does the problem persist?

Is it a fresh install of Windows on the hard drive, or did you keep the same installation as your old system?

Have you installed chipset drivers from the Asus support page for your mobo, and fresh reinstalled Nvidia GPU drivers using DDU?

Have you got a lot of USB devices plugged in? Try unplugging everything except keyboard and mouse and see if it helps.

Reactions: Brian Boru
If you log into Windows safe mode does the problem persist?
That's the main first check for a software problem. If Safe Mode is ok, then go into Task Manager's Startup tab and uncheck everything there—one of them is likely to be the culprit. If a normal boot now works okay, add back any Startup apps you want, one at a time. When the problem recurs, it's the last app you added.

You don't say how much RAM you have—how much?

If suggestions so far don't help, it's worth putting your build in at PCpartPicker.com just in case there's some incompatibility lurking.

Aug 3, 2021
Visit site
In Windows safe mode I can not test whether problem persists because i can not open/use programs i normally would when the problem appears. Just clicking on folders in windows explorer in safe mode does not give me freezes.

Unplugging USB devices did not help the issue.

How do you know it's a software problem?

16 GB RAM

In Windows safe mode I can not test whether problem persists because i can not open/use programs i normally would when the problem appears. Just clicking on folders in windows explorer in safe mode does not give me freezes.

Unplugging USB devices did not help the issue.

16 GB RAM

We don't know anything but its always best to check software before you look at hardware.

What software are you running and when do these hangs occur?

Is it always at the same time or random?

Does it do it in all software or only certain programs?

One other thing, are you running the latest BIOS version on your motherboard? If not flash to the latest firmware from Asus and see if that helps.

Aug 3, 2021
Visit site
A game and google chrome only basically. Freezes occur especially when in game. Times of the freezes seem random. When the game is opened in background and i click something or scroll in chrome or win explorer, i get freezes as well sometimes but not all the time.
No, will try.

I would think so too, I'm afraid I dont have any direct experience with the game myself so I don't know whether there are any memory leaks or how demanding it is in general off the top of my head.

Does it happen with any other games, or with just Chrome running?

Any 3rd party Antivirus running you could disable to check if it helps?

I would imagine if it was faulty hardware you would have constant problems even on the desktop and across all programs and games. Otherwise it could be game specific, and you might be better off looking for other users of EFT to see if anyone else has had similar issues with similar hardware to yours.

As always someone else here may have other ideas to help too :)

Escape from Tarkov
Search for this…
Escape from Tarkov freeze
…there are plenty of threads & videos which might help—I'm not familiar with the game, but I recall we've had problem threads about it here too in the past, here's one:

4-20 tabs
Chrome has a history of wasting memory, altho it shouldn't eat 16GB or close to it. Try this search…
chrome browser freezes windows 10
…and see if one of the answers helps, eg:
Try a different browser, that will indicate if it's a Chrome problem or not.

Look in Task Manager, the Startup tab—disable any apps you don't need starting at boot time.

Look in Device Manager for any yellow warning icons—expand sections to see individual components.
Check Reliability Monitor and/or Event Viewer for any warnings around the times of the problem happening.

As @Kaamos_Llama said, I don't know. Troubleshooting is often a process of elimination, so it's usually best to tackle the easy-to-do stuff first.

Happened in other games as well but way more less and short. With only chrome open i don't think it has happened
My guess at this stage is it's mainly a Tarkov issue, but not exclusively so—the hope is fixing it for Tarkov will fix it for other cases also.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Aug 3, 2021
Visit site
thanks again!

Found two yellow warning icons in device manager: 2x "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Test Failed)"
Is this relevant to the issue? How to fix?

Yes, was using same GPU in older system just fine. Game was running poorly because the system was too weak but at least i had no freezes.

Aug 3, 2021
Visit site
I have now updated chipset-drivers and BIOS-version, deactivated some unnecessary programs in start up, tested SMART values of drives, run memtest and increased swap file size.
Now besides the old long freezes i am getting microstuttering in game, that is many very short freezes plus 2 times in an hour maybe i got a black screen and no sound with pc still running forcing me to hard reset. Event viewer is not showing anything related to it as far as i can tell. Any ideas? What to do?

Damn, sorry to hear none of that helped.

Are games and OS installed on an SSD or a hard drive? If its a hard drive is it a 7200 rpm model?

A few more basic things to try..

Try the GPU in another PCI-E slot.

Try swapping out PCI-E power cables for the GPU if possible, and try the card in the second slot.

If your storage is SATA, try a different/new data cable.

Roll back to an older set of Nvidia Drivers, install using DDU in safe mode.

Could also be worth clearing CMOS, I guess you updated BIOS already but its very easy to do and might help.

I'm looking at your RAM and wondering. I cant find your memory kit on the QVL list for your motherboard, and I know that earlier Ryzen was quite notorious for having memory compatibility problems with DDR4 kits tuned for Intel processors at the time. If you've transferred a kit over from an older Intel build it might be causing issues somewhere there with some of the lower timings not being quite right. That's a large part of why I suggested BIOS update as it can improve memory performance and compatibility.

Ryzen chips are also generally helped by faster RAM and the normal spec for 2000 series is 2933mt/s.

It is strange that updating to the latest of everything has made things worse somehow.

Cooler Master PSU's can be somewhat meh also, and power supply issues can do weird things, if you have a decent spare PSU or can borrow one would be worth checking if it changes anything to use another.

Bit of a splurge there, hopefully it turns out to be something on the easier side!

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
Found two yellow warning icons in device manager: 2x "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Test Failed)"
Is this relevant to the issue? How to fix?
Might be relevant, worth fixing just to eliminate. R-click and uninstall them—Windows will reinstall them on reboot if needed.

Do you run the game fullscreen? If so, change it to Windowed Fullscreen—that's helped me a couple of times with weird graphical problems.

Run sfc /scannow from an admin/elevated CMD window—could take up to an hour to complete, it checks the integrity of your system files.

i am getting microstuttering in game
Things are getting worse instead of better :(
It may be time to uninstall Tarkov and reinstall it.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama

TRENDING THREADS