Computer freezes when idle, cant find the culprit

Jul 6, 2022
Visit site
Hello there, since the first week when I bought rig, it gave really really weird problems like, computer would out of nowhere would just hang/freeze when idle( I mean when I just browsing, listening to music, or just watching netflix for example), So I've tried every sorts of troubleshooting, from updating the bios to testing each component, ram showed no errors, cpu shower no errors, gpu showed no errors, ssd's showed no errors as well, so I figuried it that it could be PSU, CPU or the RAM all along(despite no errors) ,however, when I am gaming, it never freezes or hangs, like never, so I am really confused as to why it never happens during the intense work?I've updated all the drivers too, including windows updates.

Windows 11 64-bit
5600x
Corsair Vengeance 32GB XMP 3000 mHz
MSI B550M Pro Vdh
Manli 3060
Samsung 500GB NvME
Gygabyte 1TB NvME
AeroCool Lux RGB 750W

Welcome to the forum :)

when I just browsing, listening to music, or just watching netflix
Those sound like activities where you mightn't be interacting with mouse or KB.

Check your power plan settings, to see whic components—monitors, disks, GPU, CPU—are set to switch off or ramp down. Try increasing the timespan for any with short wait intervals.

If you have a screensaver enabled, disable it.

There should be an expert along soon with better suggestions :)

It could be PSU doesn't like how Ryzen CPU behave at idle.
When Ryzen CPU are asked to run a process, it will boost the core to the necessary speed and when finished it will rush to idle again. All the constant power changes can be too much for some PSU.
Yours isn't a good model, you might be better replacing it with one from Corsair or Seasonic

I don't expect the 750w is much better.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jul 6, 2022
Visit site
It could be PSU doesn't like how Ryzen CPU behave at idle.
When Ryzen CPU are asked to run a process, it will boost the core to the necessary speed and when finished it will rush to idle again. All the constant power changes can be too much for some PSU.
Yours isn't a good model, you might be better replacing it with one from Corsair or Seasonic

I don't expect the 750w is much better.

Yeah I figured it that it could be the PSU, and since I bought the prebuild, I guess have to take it back then. Besides the PSU, what would be your other thoughts ?

Jul 6, 2022
Visit site
Oh, I forgot to mention, that the first week of use, it did froze during gaming as well, and it looked like this. I had two monitors, one was for monitoring the readings, and the other one was for gaming, so while I was gaming, the first monitor froze already while I keep playing it, and then later one the game froze as well, but once I uninstalled the dragon center, I never ever had any freezes during the game, only when Idle use, does this tell you anythhing ?

Jul 6, 2022
Visit site
Apart from fact most motherboard makers software isn't worth installing, maybe not.

You seem to have done most of the tests I would suggest, apart from Prime and I expect you would have been getting BSOD if it was either of those.
Well, I did got some BSOD's from time to time, but not during those freezes, I had to manually restart the computer, and yeah, I done prime95, occt,memtest86, memtest64, not even single of them showed any errors or bsod's during testing, however, I ran all 8gb ram sticks with memtest86 via boot for around 8h~ hours or so and no error so far.

freezing isn't normally a software error. Windows will create a BSOD if its a software error

So I think its the PSU since everything else tests out ok. Only other thing you can't test is Motherboard itself. There aren't any for a motherboard. You either test everything else (which you have) or put all the other parts in another Motherboard and if it works, assume it was the Motherboard. Not very scientific really.

two ways to test a PSU
Multimeter https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583
but the BIOS just shows what CPU is doing at idle without even windows asking it to do anything, so might not be useful. Multimeter best way as can run it while PC actually working.

software like HWINFO can track this as well but its not accurate enough.

Jul 6, 2022
Visit site
Hmmm. I do monitor with HWINFO and also, that's what the BIOS showing me right now, and I'm actually thinking of using the paperclip and the multimeter, should I just measure it or measure it under load ?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022
Visit site
Update, just tested with multimeter, every rail shows ok, voltage as it should be, however for 12v rail it shows 11.50v instead of 12.00v , my guess you were right all along sir, gonna take it back to the shop, thank you kindly for your help.

Jul 6, 2022
Visit site
And then again, I am back to square one, since the rail (-12vDC) I've measured it, was supposed to show tolerance between 11.50v and 12.00v :D Also, I know I am gonna go on limb here, but, could it be that the Pcie sound card would cause these type of problems?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
If it's going to sleep M2 ssd are not great for this. I ran into same troubles. I set mine to gigh performance and never sleep or hibernate and no more problems.
Also try with one stick of ram at a time one maybe bad and not showing up with memtest.

Jul 6, 2022
Visit site
Hmm, even though HDD would be failing, I don't think it would be able to cause these sorts of issues, not to mention not being a system drive because if the system SSD drive was failing, I would still probably be able to get BSOD of some sort. Yeah, I thought about the sleep/power settings too, I just can't find anything in particular, since I've disabled the wake timers and monitor sleep, but my guess it would be the CPU, RAM could be as well, but, I've been using the same ram in my older system with no issues, it actually happened with the ram that came with the rig, so that would indicate that the ram has nothing to do with the problem, but yeah, I did memtest for about 8hours~ or so and no errors so far, I haven't tried to test stick by stick, slot by slot.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Hmm, even though HDD would be failing, I don't think it would be able to cause these sorts of issues, not to mention not being a system drive because if the system SSD drive was failing, I would still probably be able to get BSOD of some sort. Yeah, I thought about the sleep/power settings too, I just can't find anything in particular, since I've disabled the wake timers and monitor sleep, but my guess it would be the CPU, RAM could be as well, but, I've been using the same ram in my older system with no issues, it actually happened with the ram that came with the rig, so that would indicate that the ram has nothing to do with the problem, but yeah, I did memtest for about 8hours~ or so and no errors so far, I haven't tried to test stick by stick, slot by slot.
It sounds to me like you're on the right track. Also see if your mobo has any bios updates available. This can fix ram troubles.

TRENDING THREADS