Coconut Monkey Cornerclub

Page 55 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
How often are people buying speakers for their computers?
Not in a long time, maybe 20 years ago for last set.

More benefit for me out of putting any spare fun money into other system parts
I care very little about audio quality
Yep, audio is at the back of my list—ie behind mouse mats, desk cleaning and cable ties.

My living arrangements require headset use, so I keep using some variation of Logitech H series—I have sissy ears so need sth lightweight like those.

I do like to have decent audio, its just one of the areas where the tech related to actual sound quality isnt improving decade on decade let alone year on year. Once you have a good set its not like theyll be obsolete in 5 or even 10 years.

This is totally off the top of my head and I havent really looked into it or thought about it before, but growing up I had a similar model of Midi system to this from about the age of 12 until my early/mid 20's. The kind of pokey Bluetooth speakers I see in shops now for hundreds of Euros must have worse sound quality overall based the size of the speakers involved. Especially when you consider people are often using Spotify on them at lower sampling rates vs CD quality.

Has average home audio quality actually devolved?

So here is a random question. How often are people buying speakers for their computers? I have been using the same Bose speakers for at least 12 years. Is there a better set of speakers out there?
I used to own a Logitech Z550 that one of my nephews now owns. Still works and is one of the best speakers for PC/TV I have ever owned. The only reason I switched was because I wanted something with fewer wires so I went for SoundBlaster Katana. The Katana is a really good soundbar with nice LED colors and really good bass. The Logitech is probably around 15+ years now and I gave it away four years ago.

Zloth

Community Contributor
So here is a random question. How often are people buying speakers for their computers? I have been using the same Bose speakers for at least 12 years. Is there a better set of speakers out there?
I've been using the same for at least 25 years, including a powered subwoofer. I need to do something about them, though. The speakers all still work great, but the central amplifier/receiver is getting really hard to use for anything. The center speaker isn't getting any signal, either. I dread going through all those many, many wires, though....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evwn435x0dM

Still have it, but never actually had any games to play with it. I did try out some type of demo for it, but it didn't really cut the cake for me. My favorite joystick (do tell me yours) will always be the Atari 520ST one. Built like a brick...or so I thought because the beast did not last long in my teenage hands. Still, I miss it, it was f.ing brilliant!. The second best joystick is the one from Amiga that a childhood friend of mine had. Really good controls and the buttons were awesome! We used to play Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 with that joystick like manaics. He was always better than me, goddamn!;)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evwn435x0dM

Still have it, but never actually had any games to play with it. I did try out some type of demo for it, but it didn't really cut the cake for me. My favorite joystick (do tell me yours) will always be the Atari 520ST one. Built like a brick...or so I thought because the beast did not last long in my teenage hands. Still, I miss it, it was f.ing brilliant!. The second best joystick is the one from Amiga that a childhood friend of mine had. Really good controls and the buttons were awesome! We used to play Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 with that joystick like manaics. He was always better than me, goddamn!;)
Lotus Espirit Turbo Challenge was a classic! I also really liked Toyota Celica GT, both of those played alright on a joystick.

I had a few different ones because I would always break them playing stuff like Carl Lewis Challenge or Daley Thompsons decatholon before that. The waggling was intense, if you know what I mean. That old Atari one was immortal though so I always went back to it.

My Edifier speakers are about as old as yours. They sound great, so I don't really see any reason to change them. I think speaker tech has about maxed out for now.

I don't suppose anyone has a Sleep by Number bed? If so, how do you like it? Can you get them really firm?

I was saving up for a Beautyrest mattress that I thought might help my back, but my dad wants to give me his Sleep by Number bed. I don't really know anything about them.

It's a little early to say for sure, but I may have, with zero assistance from all my many doctors, figured out both the causes and the cures for some of my major health issues. It appears that I have been living with severe vitamin D deficiency and also dehydration. Some of this information isn't easy to find. Even if you go to the NHS website under dehydration symptoms, you don't find the specific symptoms I suffer. Did you know that the symptoms of dehydration, for some people even before a dry mouth, are dizziness, fatigue and confusion?

It's a little early to say for sure, but I may have, with zero assistance from all my many doctors, figured out both the causes and the cures for some of my major health issues. It appears that I have been living with severe vitamin D deficiency and also dehydration. Some of this information isn't easy to find. Even if you go to the NHS website under dehydration symptoms, you don't find the specific symptoms I suffer. Did you know that the symptoms of dehydration, for some people even before a dry mouth, are dizziness, fatigue and confusion?
I go to a lab for a full suite of blood tests every year, they check all the vitamins, thyroid function, iron levels and more I cant remember. I take vitamin supplements but my Vit D is always pretty low whatever I do. If you didnt already its worth getting the tests and taking the info to a doc. Guess youve probably done this already, but just in case

*Im not a doctor, just to be clear.

Self-diagnosis off websites is pretty dubious, but some time outside reading a book with a glass of water is a mighty cheap cure. Might as well give it a try.
I didn't self-diagnose off of websites, but my medical history is rather good, as I've literally saved my life from doctors on two different occasions.

What I did was, for the vitamin D, go to a mobile clinic that was offering to test for vitamin/mineral deficiencies. For the dehydration, I was reading the prescribing literature of a medication prescribed to my wife when I just happened across their description of symptoms that would likely occur if the medication was causing dehydration.

Naturally, this all caused me to do more research online, but I'm hardly a research novice. I know where to go and what to read.

I need to make sure I drink more.
It's unlikely you would qualify as "some people" in my statement, as it's usually people with anemia. But there's little doubt staying well-hydrated does good things for you. Not scientific, of course, but there are a lot of people who say their energy levels go up when they are well-hydrated. For people with anemia, that's especially important as your body produces less blood when you are dehydrated.

I wouldn't have thought I was dehydrated, but I've seen those symptoms go away ever since I started drinking 20 ounces of Gatorade Zero three times a day. In retrospect, it makes sense because I spend so much time on a computer all the time and rarely get up to drink anything but a cup of coffee. I'll down some water a few times a day, but I don't think I was actually getting that much.

Tomorrow if you hear Battle Hymn of the Republic, but can't tell where it's coming from, and then you notice what appears to be The Hand of God moving in the direction of Tennessee, don't be concerned. That will just be me talking to my Walmart pharmacy. They are about to lose close to $10k monthly business from me.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
I honestly didn't go into that discussion intending to be rude, but through their general incompetence they cost me an extra $140 last month, and they were getting ready to do exactly the same thing. She kept saying her system wouldn't let me fill my prescription for 30 days that it had to be 15 days. I told her that was ridiculous and that she was doing it incorrectly. She then told me, out of the blue, that I had never picked up my prescription on September 14th. I apologized that my time machine was broken and asked to speak to the pharmacist, who immediately fixed the problem. The root problem is that they change pharmacy techs about once a month. I don't know if they all quit or what, but they are always new and make a ton of mistakes. Every month it's something. And to make matters worse, Walmart is constantly in negotiation with pharmaceutical companies to get better deals. For a number of reasons, this causes Walmart to be in a constant shortage. At my next Dr appointment, I'm going to switch to a local pharmacy.

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
The root problem is that they change pharmacy techs about once a month. I don't know if they all quit or what, but they are always new and make a ton of mistakes. Every month it's something.

Apparently pharmacy techs have a turnover rate of up to 41% and there is a major shortage, so your Walmart probably just sucks to work at and all the pharmacy techs who start there move onto something better within a month or two.

Apparently pharmacy techs have a turnover rate of up to 41% and there is a major shortage, so your Walmart probably just sucks to work at and all the pharmacy techs who start there move onto something better within a month or two.
That sounds right. Walmart probably pays next to nothing, too. The head pharmacist seems a little gruff, so she might be hard to get along with, and they certainly aren't making their lives easier by screwing up so often. I honestly wasn't rude, but I definitely wasn't pleasant, either. I'm just sick and tired of all the problems. Getting your medications shouldn't be a big ordeal every month, and they've turned it into a regular nightmare.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS