Coconut Monkey Cornerclub

Page 16 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
If you're near a White Castle, that means you're from somewhere in the Midwest US, like I am. Unfortunately, there aren't too many states that have them. In the south, they have Krystal, but Krystal sucks compared to White Castle.

My wife was from there, this was when I visited her. White Castle was definitely my favourite fast food while I was there. It's a shame the rest of the states has to do without them.

That's actually another good question: what's your favourite fast food place?

Reactions: WoodenSaucer
This word "work" - I don't think it means what you think it means. ;)

Eh well you know, I kind of like working. :)

I do have to eat all dairy or make sure we have enough lactase. Cakes or pies aren't a problem at least, as I can use margerine for those.

Bacon ice cream does sound good...

You can use margarine, but somehow I always miss the taste of butter. Whats harder to replace is the wheat flour, oat flour doesnt quite work the same. Oat flour pancakes are pretty decent at least.

Bacon Ice cream I could maybe get with, but eggy tasting ice cream? Walkers did a limited run of bacon and egg flavoured crisps 10 or 15 years ago, it was pretty grim to smell coming out of a packet of chips. Not that eggs arent great in the right place.

Wings arent all that big in the UK or in Finland at least as far as I've seen, I've had them a few times in a chain called Nandos. They used to do a thing called Wing Roulette, which worked as you can imagine. 5 different spice levels of wings from lemon and herb to quite hot. There wasnt any dipping sauce and the bone was in, they were fine. I'd rather get almost any pizza or a good burger, maybe I just havent had the right wings

I'm always jealous of the food culture in the US, there's some pretty good stuff here if you look hard but not the range I always hear about when I hear people talking about food over there.

This is the greatest and maybe only Finnish contribution to fast food. Its a kind of savoury donut that you stuff with, mince, rice, hotdogs (basically) and add pickle salad, onions, ketchup and mustard. You can find them at all grill kiosks in the city centres around the country. Theyre good!

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
You can use margarine, but somehow I always miss the taste of butter. Whats harder to replace is the wheat flour, oat flour doesnt quite work the same. Oat flour pancakes are pretty decent at least.

Oh, I fully agree. My wife did keto for a while and the flour substitutes work for some stuff, but it's not a 1:1 replacement.

Bacon Ice cream I could maybe get with, but eggy tasting ice cream? Walkers did a limited run of bacon and egg flavoured crisps 10 or 15 years ago, it was pretty grim to smell coming out of a packet of chips. Not that eggs arent great in the right place.

I don't think the eggs add much in the bacon and egg combo in terms of taste. It's like making ham & cheese chips and adding toast flavour to it.

Wings arent all that big in the UK or in Finland at least as far as I've seen, I've had them a few times in a chain called Nandos. They used to do a thing called Wing Roulette, which worked as you can imagine. 5 different spice levels of wings from lemon and herb to quite hot. There wasnt any dipping sauce and the bone was in, they were fine. I'd rather get almost any pizza or a good burger, maybe I just havent had the right wings

I'm always jealous of the food culture in the US, there's some pretty good stuff here if you look hard but not the range I always hear about when I hear people talking about food over there.

My wife has brought some great recipes with her when she moved here. For example, the meal salad options here are fairly average, especially compared to a wildfire chicken salad. And while I won't say baked ziti is better than lasagna, it is a great addition to the "Italian" cuisine.

This is the greatest and maybe only Finnish contribution to fast food. Its a kind of savoury donut that you stuff with, mince, rice, hotdogs (basically) and add pickle salad, onions, ketchup and mustard. You can find them at all grill kiosks in the city centres around the country. Theyre good!

I haven't heard of adding rice to a hotdog before, but the rest of the fillings are all pretty standard stuff in the US.

Zloth

Community Contributor
If you're near a White Castle, that means you're from somewhere in the Midwest US, like I am. Unfortunately, there aren't too many states that have them.
I grew up not far from one, but it closed down and turned into something else (which turned into something else which...). The other one in the county closed some years later. Now I can only get them at the grocery store in the frozen food section.

Strangely enough, they taste the same when microwaved. I guess the way they electroplate the meat onto the bun has something to do with it. ;)

That would be a nope from me! Haha. I'm not a fan of hot dogs. If it had a brat or Italian sausage in it, then I might give it a go.

Theyve only just started to get good raw sausages here. Before that there was only Nakki (hotdog) or makkara (big hot dog) I dont mind them but I do miss good English sausages.

Oh, I fully agree. My wife did keto for a while and the flour substitutes work for some stuff, but it's not a 1:1 replacement.
Hence why I have to eat almost all of anything I bake, or give it away.

I don't think the eggs add much in the bacon and egg combo in terms of taste. It's like making ham & cheese chips and adding toast flavour to it.

Cant say I agree, cooked eggs have a pretty distinct taste and smell to me.

My wife has brought some great recipes with her when she moved here. For example, the meal salad options here are fairly average, especially compared to a wildfire chicken salad. And while I won't say baked ziti is better than lasagna, it is a great addition to the "Italian" cuisine.

That does look good! lucky for me pasta alternatives are not as hard to find as flours.

I haven't heard of adding rice to a hotdog before, but the rest of the fillings are all pretty standard stuff in the US.

Its a little more than that, but not much. The 'Lihis' bun is a bit spongy, and already comes with the rice mince mix in it. Thats why I say meat donut. You slice it open and stuff the spices and dogs in. Finnish mustard is darker and stronger than american yellow mustard, still not as strong as English. Some of the grills will also try and put mayonnaise in there, but not on my watch. You can get fried eggs in there, or other sausage amongst other stuff too, not exactly exotic but pretty good.

Strangely enough, they taste the same when microwaved. I guess the way they electroplate the meat onto the bun has something to do with it. ;)
The microwaved ones are good, but I'll have to disagree that they're as good as a fresh one at the restaurant. I think it's mainly the microwaved bun that is the problem. If you think they're just as good, your local restaurant must not have been too good. Lol

Reactions: Pifanjr
White Castle, that means you're from somewhere in the Midwest US
They've also got a few in Nevada & Arizona, plus you can buy in stores in Canada. I'm fairly sure all the international locations—mainly Asia—have closed.

what's your favourite fast food place?
Couple of mom & pop places in home town. Of the main franchises, toss up between Arby's and Subway. But I don't care, it's only fuel after all—totally unworthy of all the fuss ;)

98% reindeer meat with homemade bread, ketchup, and mustard. Does not get much better than this and it definitely tasted much better than the hot dogs I microwaved some years back.

BtR9OQW.png

Last edited:
Cant say I agree, cooked eggs have a pretty distinct taste and smell to me.

As does toast to me, but I wouldn't need it to be included.

Its a little more than that, but not much. The 'Lihis' bun is a bit spongy, and already comes with the rice mince mix in it. Thats why I say meat donut. You slice it open and stuff the spices and dogs in. Finnish mustard is darker and stronger than american yellow mustard, still not as strong as English. Some of the grills will also try and put mayonnaise in there, but not on my watch. You can get fried eggs in there, or other sausage amongst other stuff too, not exactly exotic but pretty good.

Yeah, the bun would be the most different part, though it's hard for me to say how different a doughnut bun would taste than a steamed bread bun. With enough filling, I doubt the difference would be too noticeable.

Couple of mom & pop places in home town. Of the main franchises, toss up between Arby's and Subway. But I don't care, it's only fuel after all—totally unworthy of all the fuss ;)

I do agree with that most of the time, as do Dutch people in general it seems, as they allegedly only spent an average of 18 minutes a day on cooking, the shortest average in the world.

98% reindeer meat with homemade bread, ketchup, and mustard. Does not get much better than this and it tasted much better than the hot dogs I microwaved some years back.
BtR9OQW.png

What's that sticking out of it?

As does toast to me, but I wouldn't need it to be included.

I think we are talking about different things here, the actual real ice cream that Heston Blumenthal made was bacon and egg flavoured. I can totally get with not including the egg at all :ROFLMAO:.

98% reindeer meat with homemade bread, ketchup, and mustard. Does not get much better than this and it definitely tasted much better than the hot dogs I microwaved some years back.
BtR9OQW.png

Reindeer is great, tasty steaks too. Not sure about the ketchup pipette though :D

@WoodenSaucer Hey Woody, about your sig:
"Pushing the Envelope of Mediocrity "

Pushing and envelope are more for 'excellence', aren't they? Mediocrity is more of a postcard nudging thing imo—so how about:
"Nudging the Postcard of Mediocrity"?

PS should things deteriorate:
"Cleaning up after the Pigeon of Failure"
Haha. It's meant to be ironic and contrary, though. That's the whole humor of it. (Notice I didn't put a 'u' in the word "humor.")

TRENDING THREADS