Coconut Monkey Cornerclub

Page 82 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Our little town is getting swarmed with tourists this weekend for the eclipse. We’re smack dab in the center of the eclipse path so apparently we will have one of the best views in the whole country. It’s very bizarre because nothing like this has happened in a very long time. We get lots of tourists every year because we have tons of nature all around and lots of good swimming and camping spots, but for this eclipse they’re expecting anywhere between a few thousand up to 20K people visiting this weekend. Not sure how they guessed those numbers, but all the hotels and campgrounds nearby being booked up for months prior makes it sound accurate.

I got myself set up so I don’t have to leave the house all weekend long, and we’re closing the office Monday in case of major traffic. I’m going to be happy relaxing at home playing video games all weekend, and even got myself some solar glasses to watch the eclipse. I just hope no one wants to try to camp in my yard unless they’d like to spend $100 a night with no bathroom or electricity and very spotty cell service.

Our little town is getting swarmed with tourists this weekend for the eclipse. We’re smack dab in the center of the eclipse path so apparently we will have one of the best views in the whole country. It’s very bizarre because nothing like this has happened in a very long time. We get lots of tourists every year because we have tons of nature all around and lots of good swimming and camping spots, but for this eclipse they’re expecting anywhere between a few thousand up to 20K people visiting this weekend. Not sure how they guessed those numbers, but all the hotels and campgrounds nearby being booked up for months prior makes it sound accurate.

I got myself set up so I don’t have to leave the house all weekend long, and we’re closing the office Monday in case of major traffic. I’m going to be happy relaxing at home playing video games all weekend, and even got myself some solar glasses to watch the eclipse. I just hope no one wants to try to camp in my yard unless they’d like to spend $100 a night with no bathroom or electricity and very spotty cell service.

Considering everything is booked you might actually be able to sell a spot in the yard for $100.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I saw the last one (I think there's even a post somewhere on this forum). Definitely cool stuff. I hope the clouds don't ruin it for you.

We should get to just short of 90% here. Neat, but not worth travelling to see.

And yeah, it seems that the last eclipse really spiked the accident rate, especially around totality. Lots of people looking up instead of where they're going. Road crews will likely be getting short days on Monday.

I should've stayed in Indy, in the middle of Eclipse Alley. Then again, I can get the same effect by going outside at night—you guys outside the Alley should try it, you can sit in my yard for $50 ;)

Australian World View

Found an example of the kind of map used in Oz, NZ etc:

fZ1zZyw.png

We were in the perfect spot a few years ago. Got some glasses and sat in the backyard. It was pretty cool, but what I personally think is more fun is watching the International Space Station go overhead. There's a site somewhere that will show you the best days/times in your area to watch it. You could actually see just with the naked eye what it was. I tried to zoom in with my camera to get a picture, but I'm not good enough with cameras to get the settings right for a picture of a bright object in the night sky, so the pictures came out wonky.

We were in the perfect spot a few years ago. Got some glasses and sat in the backyard. It was pretty cool, but what I personally think is more fun is watching the International Space Station go overhead. There's a site somewhere that will show you the best days/times in your area to watch it. You could actually see just with the naked eye what it was. I tried to zoom in with my camera to get a picture, but I'm not good enough with cameras to get the settings right for a picture of a bright object in the night sky, so the pictures came out wonky.

That sounds cool, I'm going to need to look that up.

We went sometime around 2017 to Wyoming, since it wasn't too bad of a drive from Denver, but my wife was heavily pregnant at the time. I do recall that after seeing it, we were stuck in traffic for hours and hours, just trying to get back to where we were staying at the time. Thankfully, we were in a small RV and I didn't have to drive. There were another 5 or so people in there too, too bad we didn't have any board games.

I need to stop overdosing on dextromethorphan and guaifenesin, but the sleep is much appreciated. Got up at my usual time this morning, but went back to sleep at about 7:30 am and slept for 4 hours. For someone with chronic insomnia, this is amazing. My cold symptoms are almost gone though, and it will be nice to fully wake up in a couple of days.
Lucky! I haven't slept right at all this week and got up at 1am this morning to wipe a butt. Can't wait to be able to sleep again.

Well, since my wife left me (hehe), I've been taking the opportunity to watch Band of Brothers, which I have yet to see. Damn, it's pretty good. Only been a few days now and I've watched 5 episodes, though it is partially responsible for why I haven't been getting enough sleep.

Really makes me want to work on my WW2 miniatures, but after cranking so hard from December to March, I have pretty much zero desire to work on anything. But I think when I do finally get back to it, I'm going to work on my terrain building skills and see if I can build some French/European buildings. I think they'll probably come out pretty terrible, but I won't know until I try.

I wanted to puke, but they didn't deserve my fluids!
GwPZvKX.png
Plus, it would be annoying to gather 17.99 krypton every month. How do you get .99 of a krypton? Particle collider? It's not realistic. So you ship 18 krypton in a special, sealed container with desiccant, all of which requires special documentation at the post office. Then six weeks later you have to drive back to the post office to pick up your change, .01 krypton, which Ubisoft ships in a 25 kilogram gas canister. Utterly ridiculous. Why not just make it 18 krypton? To hell with it. I'm not doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus, it would be annoying to gather 17.99 krypton every month. How do you get .99 of a krypton? Particle collider? It's not realistic. So you ship 18 krypton in a special, sealed container with desiccant, all of which requires special documentation at the post office. Then six weeks later you have to drive back to the post office to pick up your change, .01 krypton, which Ubisoft ships in a 25 kilogram gas canister. Utterly ridiculous. Why not just make it 18 krypton? To hell with it. I'm not doing it.
If only I could trade with spice 🤠

My in-laws have arrives today from the USA. They'll be staying with us for 3.5 weeks in our tiny apartment. We've given them our bedroom while we sleep on our sleep couch in the living room (which is the same room as the kitchen).

This sleep couch is probably the worst couch I've ever sat on and also the worst bed I've ever laid on, outside of the air mattresses we used when we went camping when I was a kid. The top mattress we got for it helps, but not nearly enough.

So I might be struggling with some insomnia myself, though it's probably going to be much harder for my wife who had been struggling with insomnia before this.

My in-laws have arrives today from the USA. They'll be staying with us for 3.5 weeks in our tiny apartment. We've given them our bedroom while we sleep on our sleep couch in the living room (which is the same room as the kitchen).

This sleep couch is probably the worst couch I've ever sat on and also the worst bed I've ever laid on, outside of the air mattresses we used when we went camping when I was a kid. The top mattress we got for it helps, but not nearly enough.

So I might be struggling with some insomnia myself, though it's probably going to be much harder for my wife who had been struggling with insomnia before this.
Well, I'll couch your expectations before I lay them to rest...

It's terrible. I had another bad night last night, in spite of being exhausted. My problem is a little bit of everything, but lack of exercise (which I already get barely any of) is definitely a component for me. Though last night at 3:30am, I randomly woke-up with my nose running and my throat feeling constricted. I think it's also too cold in my room without my wife sleeping next to me.

How do you like your In-Laws, at least?

Zloth

Community Contributor
I wanted to puke, but they didn't deserve my fluids! Ohh, and do take a CLOSE gander at their latest trailer, which shows soooo much promising gameplay.
Looks pretty sweet to me! Though the character animations and hair physics need some help. We already saw gameplay in a trailer from about a year ago.

Wait, how is the Kessel bonus pack a bonus if every version gets it!? Maybe it's for pre-orders. Yeah, that ain't happening. I'll want to see reviews and patches first.

How do you like your In-Laws, at least?

Oh ouch, that's not good :(
Sounds like just parents-in-law, or are there Bros-, Sisses-, and Dogs-in-law also involved?

You've played RTS if I recall correctly. The next month is a time to turtle—best of luck.

It's just my parents-in-law, we wouldn't have space for any more guests. I don't really mind them being around. My father in law is the type of guy who loves fixing stuff, so he immediately started working on fixing one of the broken legs of our couch despite being horribly jet-lagged, while my mother-in-law mostly cares about spending time with our daughter, who is more than happy showing off all of her skills.

My wife however is a lot more stressed about the entire thing. Getting the house ready was already stressful and we weren't really done yet by the time they showed up, plus she doesn't always get along with her parents very well, so we'll have to see how that goes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts