Coconut Monkey Cornerclub

Page 78 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Forgot to mention in my previous post that I did actually end-up going back to that emulated Windows 98 PC and found myself a Voodoo driver that worked and then updated the sound driver (SB Awe32) and got it working great.

Then I stared at it for a few minutes, then shut it down because...what do I do with this thing?

I poked around online to see what people play on their Retro PC's and they pretty much play everything that's already available and still working on Windows 11 thanks to GoG and Valve. I can't think of anything that doesn't really work on that I want to play (Maybe the original Carmageddon, but I can get that working with some effort), so I guess I'll just leave this emulator sitting on my server as a curiosity.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Why are car lights so often brighter than the drivers who are too dim to dim?
They ARE dim. The lights, I mean. Dim tends to mean 'shining down lower' - which means 'right in your face' if it's a truck or SUV. They are a just flat out a lot brighter than they used to be, too.

Help is on the way. I'm sure there will be a <ahem> nominal increase in price, of course.

They ARE dim. The lights, I mean. Dim tends to mean 'shining down lower' - which means 'right in your face' if it's a truck or SUV. They are a just flat out a lot brighter than they used to be, too.

Help is on the way. I'm sure there will be a <ahem> nominal increase in price, of course.

It's amazing how many poorly aimed headlights there are out there. My current cars are a subcompact and a minivan and I vastly prefer the van if only because it sits so much higher up that headlights in my eyes aren't as much of an issue.

And of course, with those new linked headlights, I'm sure when you get in a minor fender-bender, it'll only be $2000 per headlight to replace...technology, making our lives...easier(?) and...cheaper(?).

I've still been futzing with PCem here and there and I don't know why. I've found a few games here and there that don't really play nicely on Windows 11 (which I'm sure I could get working) that would necessitate a Windows 98 box, but are those games really worth playing? Sure I loved Motocross Madness back in the day, but am I really chomping at the bit to replay it 26 years later?

Regardless, this waste of time has me researching and poking around Craigslist and eBay for era appropriate machines. Thankfully, I'm what amounts to broke right now and can't stupidly spend my money on one.

Well, this is not Tennessee weather. It's pouring the snow and supposed to get down to a low of -1 F (-18 C) tomorrow night. I do have a backup kerosene heater that might work well in a confined area should the power go out. Supposed to get about 8 inches of snow, so not that much compared to some places, but 8 inches more than we're used to. Good thing is the snow will be very dry, so we probably won't lose power. Should have bought a generator. I do have a 48 hour battery backup for my CPAP machine. Forget breathing. I'll plug my laptop into it and play games :ROFLMAO:

Edited. I'm as bad as CoPilot. Had the wrong temps in because I was looking up South Dakota where I have some friends. Minus 1 is still plenty cold, though.

Last edited:
My mom makes homemade instant hot chocolate. Choclate milk powder + powdered milk + powdered cream (?). Add hot water and you have hot chocolate. Not the best hot chocolate, but so, so convenient. And there's something very American about "homemade instant"...
Never tried that. I like the instant hot chocolate packets you get at the store, but I have to shoot up insulin like a junkie if i drink it.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Edited. I'm as bad as CoPilot. Had the wrong temps in because I was looking up South Dakota where I have some friends. Minus 1 is still plenty cold, though.
I don't think we got UP to -1 F yesterday! But then, I've got coats, sweaters, lots of socks, lots of insulation for the house, an electric blanket, and a tiny bathroom that keeps its heat really well if I keep its door closed.

It's good self-cleaning-oven weather!

15 seconds of dancing robot:

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ihEOk_gV78o

Looks odd to me, does it look real to you?
Apparently an AI art program replaced a second human dancer with a robot.

Sort of on topic, I've been trying to watch tech videos lately, and I've noticed that YouTube is filled with hyperbolic, click-bait lies. I'm sure there are good people who cover tech advances accurately, but the ones that come up first on searches are usually trash. The quest for easy money already ruined Facebook years ago. I'd hate to see YouTube go down that path. They may need to start putting videos through some sort of AI moderation before letting them go live to maintain YouTube's credibility.

Sort of on topic, I've been trying to watch tech videos lately, and I've noticed that YouTube is filled with hyperbolic, click-bait lies. I'm sure there are good people who cover tech advances accurately, but the ones that come up first on searches are usually trash. The quest for easy money already ruined Facebook years ago. I'd hate to see YouTube go down that path. They may need to start putting videos through some sort of AI moderation before letting them go live to maintain YouTube's credibility.

I think they're at least 5 years too late with that. Clickbait trash has been the norm for a long time, though you wouldn't notice it if you don't stray too far from your subscribed channels. It's a lot more noticeable if you open YouTube in private browsing and go through the "explore" categories. Though it does seem a little bit more subtle than the last time I checked.

Clickbait trash has been the norm for a long time, though you wouldn't notice it if you don't stray too far from your subscribed channels

Agreed, that's why my YT shortcut goes straight to my subs, and I rarely get waylaid by one of the 'suggestions' down the rightmost column—especially now that ads have crept in there, some unsavory.

Clickbait, unsavory ads, Shorts… YT has been on a downward trend for a while. Guess Social Media in general is a race to the bottom tho, the format is generally so suited to that.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I think I have maybe two subscriptions. YT knows my tastes pretty well, though, after all these years. There's some really stupid junk that pops up, but it's mostly just stuff I'm not interested in. The ones making insane claims get the "do not recommend again" treatment.

But, if you need to watch something savory to get rid of that unsavory junk...
View: https://youtu.be/elL7BXE-VxI?si=mjxFBuTNiAYEm433&t=362

I think I have maybe two subscriptions. YT knows my tastes pretty well, though, after all these years. There's some really stupid junk that pops up, but it's mostly just stuff I'm not interested in. The ones making insane claims get the "do not recommend again" treatment.

But, if you need to watch something savory to get rid of that unsavory junk...
View: https://youtu.be/elL7BXE-VxI?si=mjxFBuTNiAYEm433&t=362
Now I need BBQ. My go to place completely closed down. Their food was great, but I think they picked where to open restaurants by watching a "Worst 10 Places for a Restaurant" video. Of course, there are still BBQ joints all over town. The most "famous" is probably Calhouns.

Tradition.jpg

I don't have any idea how they decided they were the "World Champions", maybe the same way I decided I was the "World's Sexiest Man", but I actually like Dead End BBQ better.

Agreed, that's why my YT shortcut goes straight to my subs, and I rarely get waylaid by one of the 'suggestions' down the rightmost column—especially now that ads have crept in there, some unsavory.

Clickbait, unsavory ads, Shorts… YT has been on a downward trend for a while. Guess Social Media in general is a race to the bottom tho, the format is generally so suited to that.

I've been meaning to subscribe to Nebula for awhile now, as many of the creators I like are already on it. That said, I think there's a dearth of wargaming and related content on there, so I can't get complete fulfillment from it, but at least I could feel like I'm supporting creators I like.

I'm a bad subscriber. I rarely Like videos and I block all ads.

Plus, where am I going to watch Computer Chronicles if I go away from Youtube?

I've finally taken to writing down my recipes. So far, I only have one written down, but it'll be a start, since all of them exist in my head and my head only. I don't really know who they're for, as my wife doesn't cook and the kids are too young, but I figure it'll be good to just have them written down in case someone wants to make one of my dishes after I get hit by a bus.

I've been trying to "convert" them into a readable format, as I'm the type where cooking is a creative exercise where I know general levels of ingredients, but don't measure anything.

Last edited:
Being a Patient Gamer is so hard sometimes. I just dropped $30 on the Cyberpunk DLC which I’ve just started but now Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth is over here teasing me. I’ve never even finished a Yakuza game before but this one seems like a game I can play forever… I spent quite a bit of money over the Winter sale and now I bought Phantom Liberty. I have a ton of games I can play but games like that and Palworld look so great! I’m sure they will both be on sale before I know it.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
So what is the situation with YouTube vs adblockers? Last week I heard it was AdBlock Plus’s fault for causing performance spikes and instability on YouTube. I don’t use that one, I use uBlock Origin which I know has had issues with YouTube for a few months but they provided a guide with a workaround. The guide said that YouTube regularly updates their detection scripts for detecting adblockers, but my latest issue came up exactly at the time of the whole AdBlock Plus situation last week.

Today, I am absolutely unable to access YouTube with uBlock installed. It used to give me the warning messages before I used the workaround guide, and now it loads the front page but immediately crashes the page. I paused uBlock, still had this issue. Whitelisted YouTube and paused it, still not working. It was only until I fully uninstalled the extension that YouTube started to load up again. I even made sure it was up to date which is was, but only worked when it was fully uninstalled.

Has YouTube finally had enough for Adblockers and is outright severing the connection to any browser it detects is using it? If so it’s a bit sad, Adblock has been a staple for most internet users for at least 10-15 years. I get the reason why corps are so up in arms about dismantling the use of adblockers, and they’re making it a lot harder for Adblock makers to get past their detection scripts, but browsing the internet without any form of adblocker is removing a major layer of internet security in my eyes. I want to keep using it but I also fear we’re getting to the end of Adblock being around as commonly as it has been.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Being a Patient Gamer is so hard sometimes

Oh fiddlesticks, you're not even trying—clearly a deep-fake PGer!

Core part of PG is saving on hardware—no need for the shiny super-expensive stuff. So a true PGer wouldn't be able to play those games your saliva is dripping on! I know, I've checked with a certain longing… :D

I need to dev PG Calendar™ which will have a reminder for CP2077 in 2077 2027.

I use uBlock Origin

Same here, just checked my YT, no problem.

I bypass home page, so try going straight to your subs.

It could of course be that your YT server has a new update which they're trialling, and mine doesn't.

Reactions: neogunhero

TRENDING THREADS