Question Chipset temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2023
Visit site
It may not be a problem, but it is certainly a question.

My configuration is:
CPU Intel i7 11700KF
MB ASUS ROG Strix Z590-F
RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600 MHz 32 GB (2x16)
SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
GFX MSI Geforce RTX 4070 Ventus 3x 12GB OC (previously for a short time it was Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3050 Gaming OC 8 GB)
PSU Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W 80+ Gold
CASE LC-Power 984B Dragonslayer (2 fans came with the case, connected directly to the PSU and draw cold air at the front, 1 more fan is connected at the back for exhaust).

The temperatures that develop while the computer is idle are:

CPU 30-40 °C
CPU package 30-40 °C
MB 32 °C
RAM 38-40 °C
SSD around 35 °C
GFX 38-40 °C (approx. 1 degree more 4070 than 3050)
VRM Thermistor around 35 °C
Chipset 55-57 °C

While I had a 3050 graphics card, the chipset was 53-55 °C, I assume that this is because this graphics card is slightly longer in physical size and more demanding due to performance, so it heats up more.

When watching 4K video and some less demanding games, I noticed that the temperature rises by about 2-3 °C (chipset), I didn't try more demanding things that much. Other temperatures also rise by a few degrees, nothing significant.

My question is, is the temperature of the chipset ok? Everyone tells me that it is quite OK considering the components, but I wanted to ask here also what the experiences are.

Thank you!

My configuration is:
CPU Intel i7 11700KF
MB ASUS ROG Strix Z590-F
GFX MSI Geforce RTX 4070 Ventus 3x 12GB OC (previously for a short time it was Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3050 Gaming OC 8 GB)
CASE LC-Power 984B Dragonslayer (2 fans came with the case, connected directly to the PSU and draw cold air at the front, 1 more fan is connected at the back for exhaust).

CPU 30-40 °C
CPU package 30-40 °C
MB 32 °C
RAM 38-40 °C
SSD around 35 °C
Chipset 55-57 °C

While I had a 3050 graphics card, the chipset was 53-55 °C, I assume that this is because this graphics card is slightly longer in physical size and more demanding due to performance, so it heats up more.

When watching 4K video and some less demanding games, I noticed that the temperature rises by about 2-3 °C (chipset), I didn't try more demanding things that much. Other temperatures also rise by a few degrees, nothing significant.

My question is, is the temperature of the chipset ok? Everyone tells me that it is quite OK considering the components, but I wanted to ask here also what the experiences are.

Thank you!
I'm not seeing a cpu cooler in your post. What cpu cooler are you using?

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site

My configuration is:
CPU Intel i7 11700KF
MB ASUS ROG Strix Z590-F

CPU 30-40 °C
CPU package 30-40 °C
MB 32 °C
RAM 38-40 °C
SSD around 35 °C
Chipset 55-57 °C

Thank you!
The temperature of the chipset is a bit high, but not alarming. According to the product specifications of the Intel Z590 chipset, the maximum operating temperature is 100 °C, so you are well below that limit. However, it is always better to keep the temperatures as low as possible for optimal performance and longevity.

There are several factors that may contribute to the high chipset temperature, such as:

The location and orientation of the graphics card. As you mentioned, the RTX 4070 is longer and more powerful than the RTX 3050, so it may block the airflow and radiate more heat to the chipset area.
The case and fan configuration. The LC-Power 984B Dragonslayer case has a solid front panel that may restrict the intake of fresh air. The two front fans that are connected directly to the PSU may not spin fast enough to provide adequate cooling. The single rear fan may not be enough to exhaust the hot air from the case.
The ambient temperature and airflow in your room. If your room is warm or poorly ventilated, the temperature inside your case will also be higher.
To lower the chipset temperature, you can try some of these solutions:

Move the graphics card to a lower PCIe slot if possible. This will create more space between the card and the chipset, and allow more airflow to reach the chipset heatsink.
Add more fans to your case, especially at the top and side panels. This will improve the overall airflow and pressure inside your case, and help remove the hot air from the chipset area.
Adjust the fan curves of your case fans and graphics card using software like MSI Afterburner or ASUS AI Suite. You can set them to spin faster or slower depending on the temperature or load of your system.
Replace the thermal pads or paste on the chipset heatsink if you are comfortable with disassembling your motherboard. This will improve the thermal conductivity between the chipset and the heatsink, and lower the temperature by a few degrees.
Install a small fan on top of the chipset heatsink if there is enough clearance. This will provide direct cooling to the chipset and reduce its temperature significantly.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS