Call of Duty Modern Warfare II impressions

I got a copy of the game, haven't played too much, didn't do early access campaign run or anything. So i will have to come back once I finish the campaign which i probably will. Graphically...it looks amazing, the first couple of missions show this off I think, and I get good FPS with a 3070ti @4k (80-90 average fps max settings/dlss on). The cinematics look well done too but, again, i dont think its worth the 70 price tag yet personally.

As for MP... havent played much yet, a couple TDM's, 1 3rd-person mode match and 1 "coop" match where me and another player had to take out SAM sites. Its... call of duty so not much different with how its MP plays out. I like the coop mission and i like the 3rd person view match that i played (if you like that view as a game style).

Its been kind of janky for me though with its launch. First off, i have had 2-3 crashes and 1 of them restarted my whole PC. Also, for me anyways (with COD on steam), if i want to play campaign, i have to launch the game, get to its menu, pick campaign, then have to "restart" the game for it to load into the campaign menu. Thats kind of annoying.

I'm interested in getting this. Pay day is Monday though so it will have to wait. Still got to decide whether to get it on PC or Xbox. I've heard things about an overly aggressive anti cheat coming up with false positives on PC and crashing problems on Steam reviews. Also my Xbox games in 4k, whereas my PC only 1440p.

Reactions: Lutfij
Update: Bought MW2 on Steam and don't recall having to use a phone number (and I can play online). I still don't have faith in humans and have stuck largely to the campaign and bots (in conjunction with my wife), but I do play Ground War just because it's chaotic and I really don't care if someone is cheating. The chaos and cool moments, as well as the toxicity from the opposing team, is hilarious.

Reactions: Brian Boru and Alm
Nov 7, 2022
Visit site
If we are talking about the game for 22 years, then it is certainly good, but a couple of soapy pictures are annoying. The updated graphics are a couple of amazing, the faces of the characters look better especially the ghost. It's very good that they added more ghost to the storyline, by the way, an example of beautiful scenes with a ghost.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I jumped on Warzone 2.0 last night. The gunplay feels more realistic and weighty than the previous iteration, but movement seems slower and overall the aesthetic seems a little more arcadey if that makes sense? I don't know what to make of it but I'm still getting used to it and I think it'll grow on me.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
As a follow up, here’s my Steam review for Warzone 2.0:

A battle royale game is only as good as its map. After they retired Verdansk, Caldera was a mediocre substitute featuring mostly low lying buildings and awkward terrain features. My friends and I, who had been playing multiple times a week, gradually stopped playing Warzone altogether. The combination of the weak map and the WW2 styled weapons just wasn’t enough to keep us interested.

Enter Al Mazrah and Warzone 2.0. Being a PUBG player dating back to its release, this desert map has some serious Miramar vibes (the desert map on PUBG). The points of interest are distinct and varied, and you get the feeling that you’re battling it out in a war torn middle eastern province. Verticality has a much better place here, whether its downtown in the two cities on the map, or perched atop a control tower or observatory.

It’s still early, and there’s a lot of weapon progression to come, but the guns feel balanced and the shooting feels great. The reworking of the contracts has given us some gameplay variance, and the new loot system is also a plus for me being familiar with other BRs that had backpack mechanics.

The new gulag kind of sucks when dropping solo, but with teammates you don’t have to depend on a random player’s ability. We’ll see how it evolves throughout the game’s life.

Finally, DMZ mode, the new loot, shoot, extract PVE/PVP game, is a great entry into Warzone for new players. You’re mostly battling AI waves as you do objectives, and it helps players learn contracts, the map, and gameplay tactics without having to deal with sweaty players who work you over when you’re still learning. The loot system is a bit bizarre and confusing (I get its supposed to be like tarkov but where does it explain what I can do with electrical parts or a wrench?) But overall a great addition as a warm up to BR mode.

Last note: I fortunately have only encountered one minor UI bug during a match, but I haven’t experienced the crashing and performance issues others are reporting. There’s a little stuttering off of the first plane drop, but by the time you’re on the ground its smooth as butter. I was able to crossplay with friends across two console generations as well, and Warzone being on Steam makes social features much easier to use than in the Activision/Blizzard launcher.

So is Warzone back? Hell yeah it’s back. Where we dropping boys?

The good:
  • Excellent gun sounds. Really packs a punch, especially when you enable bass boost for the headset in the menu.
  • The map got a lot of high ground which is quite nice. For the most part, it looks good. Would have been cool if they implement sandstorms similar to that of Metal Gear Solid V.
  • Water is fun to dive in, can't say that with most BR games.
  • The BR Unhinged mode that let you team up with up to six people is absolutely hilarious at times. Try to coordinate a team of six randoms. Spoiler: You can't.
  • The proximity chat is both cancer and a lot of fun. To be honest, it is a bit of fresh breath to be able to shait- talk a little, kind of like you can do in Rust, but just on a whole other level of shait-talk.
  • The movements are good, even the mantling got a nice fresh paint. No more slide canceling and bunny hopping which I think is great.
  • The recon bomb drop is soooo sexy to use! I recently killed two snipers in a radio tower using it. One of the guys managed to turn around and look straight at my lovely drone before getting blown to pieces. The cluster bomb is also cool to use and got a good impact sound.

The bad:
  • Picking up items on the ground can be a big hassle, especially if you do the mistake of dropping an equipped weapon and then trying to pick it up again while there are other weapons on the ground.
  • Car mechanics are pretty bad, but it is like that with most BR games.
  • The Gulag version I like a lot, but what I don't like are those AI bots that should not be there and that you often can't team up with your friend even if you die at the same time. If you are really unlucky you'll team up with one of those AFK players OR have to wait a whole minute because nobody entered the Gulag. It is nice to be released, but the waiting could have been cut down in half.
  • Being able to shield up underwater is perhaps a little OP?

The ugly:
  • The UI is dog shait for the most part. Why they would ever change up the UI from Warzone that WORKED, I don't know.
  • Crashing at times, not much but enough for it to be annoying when you are deep in a match. They should implement a way for you to get back to the game the way you can in PUBG when you crash or have a disconnection.
@McStabStab All those items are just for selling at the buy station, but wrench and electrical parts are worth absolutely nothing and would just take up space. Imagine Miramar looking like this map and you could still use a glider. That would have been mind-bogglingly insane! There is a dev talking about gliders potentially coming to Deston map in the future, so there might be some gliding between and landing on skyscrapers after all.

Last edited:

McStabStab

Community Contributor
@McStabStab All those items are just for selling at the buy station, but wrench and electrical parts are worth absolutely nothing and would just take up space. Imagine Miramar looking like this map and you could still use a glider. That would have been mind-bogglingly insane! There is a dev talking about gliders potentially coming to Deston map in the future, so there might be some gliding between and landing on skyscrapers after all.

Good to know. I’m used to just selling off random crap to fence in tarkov that grabbing whatever extra to fill inventory before extract is in my blood.

Gliders are a great idea for PUBG. The freedom to deploy a chute whenever is part of the fun in warzone, why not share the love?

TRENDING THREADS