Buzzing noise from the PSU itself, not the fans

Jan 15, 2023
Visit site
I just got a new Super Flower Leadex III Gold PSU today, and it’s making this extremely loud noise. I initially thought it goes away if the fan stops spinning and that it’s probably just coil whine then. However, I’m still hearing a buzzing sound even when my PSU fan is completely off: https://www.mediafire.com/file/eb0y49jn13rokdt/IMG_4025.MOV/file. Maybe it’s not actually completely off, but I certainly don’t hear a fan at all. I’m also getting an electrical sound when I plug my power cable into the PSU though maybe that’s normal. I’m not too worried if it’s just the fan, but I am worried if it’s the PSU itself. I’m worried it’ll catch on fire or just break down and destroy my other parts.
I had to get my first Leadex replaced, and it definitely never sounded like that; this seems abnormal then though that's a small sample size. I'm a bit worried I broke something since my PSU slid off my desk while my cables were plugged in. So, the bottom of my PSU hit the side of my desk. It seems to be unharmed other than some scratches though it definitely damaged my desk a bit. Could that have damaged anything like my fans or other components that could be causing this buzzing?

I just got a new Super Flower Leadex III Gold PSU today, and it’s making this extremely loud noise. I initially thought it goes away if the fan stops spinning and that it’s probably just coil whine then. However, I’m still hearing a buzzing sound even when my PSU fan is completely off: https://www.mediafire.com/file/eb0y49jn13rokdt/IMG_4025.MOV/file. Maybe it’s not actually completely off, but I certainly don’t hear a fan at all. I’m also getting an electrical sound when I plug my power cable into the PSU though maybe that’s normal. I’m not too worried if it’s just the fan, but I am worried if it’s the PSU itself. I’m worried it’ll catch on fire or just break down and destroy my other parts.
I had to get my first Leadex replaced, and it definitely never sounded like that; this seems abnormal then though that's a small sample size. I'm a bit worried I broke something since my PSU slid off my desk while my cables were plugged in. So, the bottom of my PSU hit the side of my desk. It seems to be unharmed other than some scratches though it definitely damaged my desk a bit. Could that have damaged anything like my fans or other components that could be causing this buzzing?

Coil whine would continue regardless of the fan as it comes from capacitors. Usually it would come and go depending on how much power is being used though AFAIK. At least that what I've heard from my own experience.

Its a good quality PSU model so it should have safeguards set that would prevent it blowing up any of your other parts. But if youre worried about it then just get it replaced under warranty before its too late. I dont think anyone can say 100% either way of its safe or not without opening it up, and you definitely shouldnt be doing that yourself.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS