Question Automatic restarting

Dec 4, 2021
Visit site
Recently my PC ran into an automatic restarting problem,
At first, it was when I am working on a video editing project for 2 hours straight. And then it automatically turned off without displaying any output to the monitor, then it restarted again automatically while keeping all the fans of the system running at full speed (including GPU). Also, this happens before BIOS get loaded into the system. There's no sign when this happens as all the components are working as they should (Randomly happened) is there any solution to anyone
PC specs
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
MSI RTX 2070 super Ventus OC
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz
Corsair 850W 80+ Gold PSU
Corsair H115i Platinum CPU Cooler
Samsung 860 500GB SSD
WD 1TB HDD

Dec 4, 2021
Visit site
Welcome, my first thought was are you measuring the temperatures of your system while you are working.

When was the last time you cleaned and dusted everything out properly?

What case are you using where are the case fans installed?
Temperature is not affecting because last time it was happened after I cleaned the system. And it was cooling fro 1hour

Good that you have cleaned the system! But that does not mean temperature is not affecting if you dont know what the temperatures were when it shut down.

You could need new paste on your CPU or GPU, or you could live in a hot country and have a case with minimal airflow. You can use HWInfo to measure all temps while rendering or editing and report back.

Can also be a power issue, but before we start talking about switching PSU's its good to rule out easier things.

Dec 4, 2021
Visit site
Good that you have cleaned the system! But that does not mean temperature is not affecting if you dont know what the temperatures were when it shut down.

You could need new paste on your CPU or GPU, or you could live in a hot country and have a case with minimal airflow. You can use HWInfo to measure all temps while rendering or editing and report back.

Can also be a power issue, but before we start talking about switching PSU's its good to rule out easier things.
I measured all of them CPU is around 55-75
GPU is around 23-50

23-50c while under full load rendering video?

CPU temperature sounds OK if that is when its working 100% after half an hour. Temperatures on both can slowly creep up over time if the case is poorly ventilated.

Do you have a surge protector that your rig is plugged into? Power spikes from the wall can also cause shutdowns, that surge protectors or UPS would help prevent. Otherwsie sounds like it could be something with the power supply, try another one if you have access, or wait for someone else who might have another idea :)

Dec 4, 2021
Visit site
23-50c while under full load rendering video?

CPU temperature sounds OK if that is when its working 100% after half an hour. Temperatures on both can slowly creep up over time if the case is poorly ventilated.

Do you have a surge protector that your rig is plugged into? Power spikes from the wall can also cause shutdowns, that surge protectors or UPS would help prevent. Otherwsie sounds like it could be something with the power supply, try another one if you have access, or wait for someone else who might have another idea :)
The temps I mentioned are after some heavy tasks or during them, and I am using 1.2kw UPS.
I forgot to mention the case It's also CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES 450D MID-TOWER PC CASE is the casing I am using and it is a workstation casing that have perfect ventilation

During half an hour of heavy tasks would be better to be sure. If I fire up Prime 95 for 5 minutes I'd tell you my max temps were 75, but as soon as I hit a small FFT after 15 minutes or more it could spike to late 80's or even 90's.

Anyway if your sure its not your overheating, sounds like you have faulty power delivery to me. I'd say you might be triggering OCP on your PSU but a 2070 and a 3800 even at full whack is probably not drawing more than 450-500 watts.

Hopefully one of the other will be along with another idea for you. :)

Try a different monitor, to eliminate that cause.

Have you checked the seating and condition of the cables? Specifically those from graphics card to monitor, and from PSU to motherboard and graphics card. If you can, swap out the HDMI [I assume?] for another to eliminate that cause.

Reseat your RAM and cards.

Did you make any change, hardware or software, just before this started happening?

TRENDING THREADS