Atlas (free Windows modification)

Years ago I used to use one called Alacrity PC. There's nothing new about these kind of tools, there's been several of them over time, especially since Windows started getting severely bloated.

Anymore I find just turning off all telemetry with a tool like O&O suffices. However, I find every now and then I still have to chase after things that build up, like old drivers, etc. Otherwise my C: partition can get overloaded.

As far as Atlas goes, yeah, it seems incredible, until you realize the security threat for lack of being able to update it. If they ever make that possible though, it's going to be a top anti bloat contender for sure.

Last edited:
I haven't seen Atlas, or used similar. If I was to consider such—eg for an old PC with only 2-4 GB RAM—my first look would be at the "Tiny" options. They look interesting to me and seem to work well with Windows components and updates—but I haven't studied them, so only for what it's worth.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Alm
  • it removes Windows Defender so if you are going to use it, use another anti virus as you would be crazy running unprotected on the internet now.
  • It removes Spectre protections. This can make older CPU run faster but newer ones are built in a way it can make them slower.
  • it disables some security measures Anti cheat programs require.
  • it disables UAC meaning everything is essentially working in admin mode. No need to confirm any changes... anything can install whatever it likes. It won't even ask you.
That and other reasons you might not want this are shown in video:

looks like a trap to me. Removing defender and UAC opens entire system up to the world.

edit: 1st pinned comment on video is from people who made Atlas, they are reverting the turning off of UAC in a new version. This is a good thing.

Last edited:
The bottom line is, if it removes updates, meaning you get no security updates, you're at risk every time you get on the net.

The sad realty is, IF Atlas gets to the point where it DOES allow updates, it's likely going to drop it's performance hugely, as updates are always a big part of Windows bloat.

This is why I find just disabling all telemetry is the best compromise. Of course it also disables any apps that use telemetry, and Windows 10 and up has plenty of them, but a tool like O&O can with one click turn off all telemetry, and turn it back on. I also make SURE I run Disc Cleanup after every update, with every single option checked, then I make SURE I click Clean up system files before doing the cleanup.

I find just turning off telemetry frees up roughly 1GB RAM. Most of that other 400 MB Atlas talks about freeing up is likely associated with updates. At least freeing up telemetry accounts for a little over 2/3 of the bloat, which I find is good enough if you have adequate spec.

As far as LTT, the thing you have to understand about Linus, is while he talks a big game about being sincere with his reviews, especially what he says about Nvidia and buying all the hardware he tests, when it comes to ads he does for his sponsors, he seems to not toe that line. So I wouldn't put a lot of stock into what he says about Atlas, ESPECIALLY when all he does to warn you of it's shortcomings is momentarily plaster a list of what it can't do, vs warning you verbally.

Last edited:
It sort of allows updates. It obviously turns Windows update off as the changes they have made to OS would probably conflict with Cumulative Updates, but it does let you update the actual OS itself so you have to assume what they do is change a Windows ISO and release a new version every year. But you right in that you don't get those updates until they release a version.

Updates shouldn't be that bloated in themselves, they only download updates that apply to your PC, they don't download everything and only use some... that was how it used to be. Most of the bloat in windows actually comes from the windows store, which doesn't use the Windows Update process but instead downloads in background.

I wonder if Atlas removes the store as well.

if you really wanted to run this the best idea would be on a non internet connected PC or in a Virtual Machine on a PC that actually does have the protections turned on, just not in the VM. Downside to VM can be getting the GPU to work.

It sort of allows updates. It obviously turns Windows update off as the changes they have made to OS would probably conflict with Cumulative Updates, but it does let you update the actual OS itself so you have to assume what they do is change a Windows ISO and release a new version every year. But you right in that you don't get those updates until they release a version.

Updates shouldn't be that bloated in themselves, they only download updates that apply to your PC, they don't download everything and only use some... that was how it used to be. Most of the bloat in windows actually comes from the windows store, which doesn't use the Windows Update process but instead downloads in background.

I wonder if Atlas removes the store as well.

if you really wanted to run this the best idea would be on a non internet connected PC or in a Virtual Machine on a PC that actually does have the protections turned on, just not in the VM. Downside to VM can be getting the GPU to work.
Pffft, come on man, once a year is NOT AT ALL the same as regular security updates!

Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru
Fair call.

Its also a matter of trust. Who knows what they might add in to it while they remove other things. Its like any of these custom versions of windows. Do you trust them?
Like I said, I trust my own judgement when it comes to Windows 10 and up settings. When it gets to the point where during the OS install they have pages that tell you certain telemetry driven features are optional and can be turned off, that's a clue that a tool like O&O is a good idea.

As I also said, being able to free up 1GB of the 1.4 GB Atlas does just by turning off said telemetry is plenty adequate. The only time it wouldn't be are cases where the PC spec is likely barely good enough for the game being played, or even slightly below min spec.

You are right about updates though, they are not the cause of the RAM bloat problem. I was speaking mainly of drive space bloat there though. The AppData\Local\Temp folder can also get severely bloated with some installers, so last night I used a nifty trick I found to bring up Advanced System Settings, then in the Environment Variables page I relocated it to my 6TB HDD. I may however relocate it again to my Plextor SSD just to speed up some installs.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS