Are we having too many Free2Play and Multiplayer-Only titles these days?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
do you guys remember how they made "Multiplayer-Games" back the days and always made it possible to play versus bots?
Yeah, in RTS it's called 'Skirmish' mode, played a lot of it back in the day and plan to again soon once I finish my current replay of Command and Conquer Remastered.

4X games are mostly this too.

Hiya kid—behave! :p

So are you really a Hitman, or not an agent?

Reactions: Pifanjr

ToxicOffender

BANNED
Sep 5, 2022
Visit site
Command and Conquer Remastered.

:love: Oh my! Those memories! I remember C&C being one of the very few RTS-Games i actually finished! What also was very special for this game was it´s brutal cut-scenes (that scene with Kane shooting that guy´s head and pulling his dead body off the chair is unforgettable!), being da sh*t here in Austria coz we were forced to play the censored german-version, but with my connections i was of course able to get my hands onto the english uncensored one!

How are the cut-scenes in the remastered version? I hope 4k-blu-ray quality! :p:LOL:

So are you really a Hitman, or not an agent?

:oops:

:ROFLMAO: LMAO it actually took me a while to realize what you´re on about!

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
Like flooding us with multiplayer-only games and leaving us no other choices than either playing with other people or leaving it.

So what's the problem with leaving it?

BTW do you guys remember how they made "Multiplayer-Games" back the days and always made it possible to play versus bots? Yeah i know, bots weren´t too smart but at least you could and still can play those games even they´re "dead" with good as no other players around.

I almost exclusively played Battlefield 2 against bots. Good times.

Kane shooting that guy´s head and pulling his dead body off the chair
Poor ol' Seth—he overstepped a bit with his plan to invade the US! :)
"From God, to Kane, to Seth"
Part was played by one of the game artists, Eric Gooch.

How are the cut-scenes in the remastered version? I hope 4k-blu-ray quality!
They're decent. I'm not sure if they're 4K, they had trouble finding the old masters, and I believe had to use AI to do some upscaling. Have a peek here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXKFoZER1Ek

ToxicOffender

BANNED
Sep 5, 2022
Visit site
So what's the problem with leaving it?

No clue if there really is a general problem concerning more people than just me, but for sure i am having a problem with it...BIGTIME!

I don´t see why i am having to leave for example PREDATOR, THE EVIL DEAD, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, KILLER CLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE, FRIDAY THE XIII (at least to some part, as you can´t play all characters in solo-mode, besides that..the A.I. is downright STUPID with constantly killing itself by running against fu**ing trees!) and god knows how many other interesting titles there may come, only because the industry turned into a bunch of lazy´n greedy cowards who prefer to program cheap 4x1 asssymetrical (no-pun-intended!) bullcrap games in order to make as much money as possible with the least risks to take.

Can´t wait for DIE HARD getting served as 4x1 multiplayer-only game with american kids fighting over who´s get to play John McClane and who´s the sorry-ass terrorist-victim while of course toxic russian kids fight over who´s playing the evil terrorists killing "bad guy" american John McClane! :ROFLMAO:

I think it´s the best when i am just brainwashing myself into thinking there ain´t nothing better than Multiplayer-Games...so i am ending up questioning as to why people could be so weird not to play and like those fancy´n kewl multiplayer-only games!

On a serious note, thise delicate topic is probably far more interesting to argue and talk about, than i actually thought it is.

make as much money as possible with the least risks to take
Oh boy, oh boy, the Capitalist's dream—and probably almost everyone else's too, up to a point… $70Kpa? …anyway.

If you ever discover how, bottle it and you'll make as much money as possible with the least risks to take ;)

But I get your point. It's like not being able to join TwitBook, or go populate another planet.

ToxicOffender

BANNED
Sep 5, 2022
Visit site
But I get your point.

Since i tend to mix funny lines or more or less "funny" opinions with rather serious opinions, it can happen people aren´t getting my points at all, so it´s ok with me when people are mistaken me for certain parts.

In this case, i rather mean that there are (probably) still devs who do make games because they love what they´re doing, you know...being creative and stuff like that.

Now i don´t think those devs sitting in those UBI-Soft-Towers are really enjoying what they´re doing these days...like making another dozen of FAR-CRY- and ASSASSINS-CREED CLONES with practically doing the same things over and over again....things like...making those stupid towers you have to climb on in order to reveal another portion of the map....you know...stuff like that.

So then all this "creating games"-thingy becomes more and more of a "boring" and "repetitive" kind of work for those devs, just to make more and more money rather than being creative and putting their heart and soul into it.

I often said INDIES are that what is saving the industry, while those are probably those kind of devs who still "love" what they´re doing....at least to some part or at least more than those UBI-Cows of devs are.

i rather mean that there are (probably) still devs who do make games because they love what they´re doing, you know...being creative and stuff like that
I'm sure there are, but how many devs are independently wealthy, or living with their parents, or a stay-at-home-parent who can find an hour here and there?

i don´t think those devs sitting in those UBI-Soft-Towers are really enjoying what they´re doing these days
Probability says you're right, since apparently at best 1/3 of US workers enjoy their work and globally it's 1/5.

practically doing the same things over and over again
Happily, that's not true—one of the joys of working in the digital medium is copy and paste.

But if it was true: I know a lot of authors and a few musicians. Authors all reuse the same words, grammar, sentence structure, workflow, etc etc every day. It's 'worse' with musicians, repeating the EXACT SAME piece at least dozens, maybe hundreds of times—those in a job can get fired for even minor deviations.

Don't kid yourself that 'creativity', as part of life—rather than as a nebulous fantasy—has anything to do with refusing to do similar work, repeatedly.

being creative and putting their heart and soul into it
What about "body", would you include that along with your one real and one fantasy component? If you would, I recommend Japanese game shows—those guys give their all as they get slapped against walls!

But we can be just as creative in the West. Have you seen those guys on TV? You know, cover themselves in paint—or something similarly liquidish and stickyish—and take a running jump at a canvas. Or roll around on a canvas on the floor.

kind of devs who still "love" what they´re doing
Apart from serving the devs' own narcissism, how is their love affair with themselves and their work of any benefit whatsoever to gamers or the gaming industry? I'll accept that out of every million such devs, there may be 10-20 truly gifted and talented—but there aren't waders high enough to make finding them even worth a passing thought.

TRENDING THREADS