Are These Considered Good Specs

Sure,

Depends what 'good' means though. If you're looking to play modern games at 4k, the GPU is much too weak. If you're looking to play modern games at 1080p then it's fine.

Assuming this is something you didn't buy yet:

If it's a new system, I wouldn't buy it as there are almost certainly other, better options for the same price. If it's 2nd hand and very cheap then perhaps.

Note: The GTX 1060 has either 3gb or 6gb VRAM, not 4gb. So make sure you know what you are buying.

If you want alternatives, post your budget and the country you're shopping in (if you're comfortable doing so :))

Sure,

Depends what 'good' means though. If you're looking to play modern games at 4k, the GPU is much too weak. If you're looking to play modern games at 1080p then it's fine.

Assuming this is something you didn't buy yet:

If it's a new system, I wouldn't buy it as there are almost certainly other, better options for the same price. If it's 2nd hand and very cheap then perhaps.

Note: The GTX 1060 has either 3gb or 6gb VRAM, not 4gb. So make sure you know what you are buying.

If you want alternatives, post your budget and the country you're shopping in (if you're comfortable doing so )

$1000 and Washington State, USA

Zoid

Community Contributor
$1000 and Washington State, USA
An i5-8400 and a GTX 1060 are not bad specs for 1080p gaming, but they are definitely not the best specs you can get for a $1,000 budget.

At that price range, I would suggest building a system around a Ryzen 5 3600 and either an RTX 2060 or an RX 5700 or similar, both of which will have no problem with 1080p gaming and will perform well at 1440p as well.

Are you planning to build a computer or are you looking at pre-built machines? What other things will you be doing on this computer (streaming, editing, etc)?

An i5-8400 and a GTX 1060 are not bad specs for 1080p gaming, but they are definitely not the best specs you can get for a $1,000 budget.

At that price range, I would suggest building a system around a Ryzen 5 3600 and either an RTX 2060 or an RX 5700 or similar, both of which will have no problem with 1080p gaming and will perform well at 1440p as well.

Are you planning to build a computer or are you looking at pre-built machines? What other things will you be doing on this computer (streaming, editing, etc)?

I'll be editing videos but I have a separate computer for that. I would like a pre-built machine.

Zoid

Community Contributor
I'll be editing videos but I have a separate computer for that. I would like a pre-built machine.
I'm sure you've heard many times that building your own machine can get you a lot more performance for your dollar than buying prebuilt, which is what I recommend.

But, with that out of the way, it's fine if you want to go the prebuilt route, but you should not spend $1000 on a prebuilt with an i5-8400 and a GTX 1060 in it. It's not that it's a bad setup, it's just that it's not the newest stuff anymore. It's easy to find prebuilts out there with i5-9400s and RTX 2060s at the $1000 pricepoint.

If you have links to specific computers you're considering, I'd be happy to offer additional thoughts.

Reactions: Oussebon
I'm sure you've heard many times that building your own machine can get you a lot more performance for your dollar than buying prebuilt, which is what I recommend.

But, with that out of the way, it's fine if you want to go the prebuilt route, but you should not spend $1000 on a prebuilt with an i5-8400 and a GTX 1060 in it. It's not that it's a bad setup, it's just that it's not the newest stuff anymore. It's easy to find prebuilts out there with i5-9400s and RTX 2060s at the $1000 pricepoint.

If you have links to specific computers you're considering, I'd be happy to offer additional thoughts.

That's based around a 7 year old workstation CPU. It wasnt built for gaming, and wont be as fast as modern 6 core CPU's or even high clocked quads for 95% of gaming. Not to mention you dont know the age of the other components. If its using the original power supply it might not have that much time left to go before it blows itself or something else in the rig. A 30 day warranty doesnt inspire that much confidence.

64GB of DDR3 and 10 core sounds impressive, but that amount of slow DDR3 is useless for gaming and the cores are slow.

Granted its using a respectable graphics card that doesnt use too much power to put too much pressure on it. But you can do much more with 1000 dollars IMO.

I know very little about prebuilts, but for example Cyberpower PC has options. Maybe someone else can guide you better then me with that,

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoid

Zoid

Community Contributor
This is very different from the specs you were originally asking about. You want this to be a gaming rig, correct?

What you link here is a refurbished high-end workstation PC from a few years ago with a newer GPU thrown in. If you wanted a computer to do editing or scientific computing on, then sure, that one might be worth considering. Heck, it's an interesting PC all around. However, I think you'd be disappointing if you bought it as a $1,000 gaming rig.

Any PC with a modern i5 and a GTX 1660 in it will outperform that Lenovo in games. And such computers can be found all over Amazon and elsewhere in the $800 price range.

TRENDING THREADS