Any old Commodore 64 gamers on here?

As old as all of you guys are, I can't believe I'm the only C64 nut on here. :D

I knew that thing inside out. I knew the purpose of every memory location in its ROM and Kernel. Tons of great games made for it. It was a really popular platform, so most games came to it while it was relevant.

Reactions: Pifanjr
There were no winners except IBM and they only did it by accident. I can bet they wouldn't have used off the shelf parts had they known where it would lead. Their clones ended up winning.

Before 1990 there was so much variety of computers, and very few talked the same language

Also depends what country you lived in. WE got a mix of US And UK models

At least all the ones mentioned had an actual keyboard and more than 1k of ram
I never used it, I just laughed at it.

Reactions: WoodenSaucer
There were no winners except IBM and they only did it by accident. I can bet they wouldn't have used off the shelf parts had they known where it would lead. Their clones ended up winning.

Before 1990 there was so much variety of computers, and very few talked the same language

Also depends what country you lived in. WE got a mix of US And UK models

At least all the ones mentioned had an actual keyboard and more than 1k of ram
I never used it, I just laughed at it.
Yeah, IBM really got screwed, and it was their own fault. But I remember the early days of the "clones." People would still buy IBMs because the clones were not 100% compatible in the beginning. It took them a while to really get the compatibility worked out for some reason. But when they did, IBM was knocked off the mountaintop.

I did not own one, but I played some games at my friend's house. I remember Red Baron, Winter Games, and Test Drive II. The worst experience was Summer Games and its countless loading errors, which I have heard has to do with my friends owning a C64 cassette player.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I did not own one, but I played some games at my friend's house. I remember Red Baron, Winter Games, and Test Drive II. The worst experience was Summer Games and its countless loading errors, which I have heard has to do with my friends owning a C64 cassette player.
Yeah, cassette drives sucked. You really needed to invest in a disk drive for a decent experience.

I don't remember Red Baron, but I played the other games you mentioned. Summer Games worked great from a disk. I'm surprised we didn't destroy our joysticks, though. You had to move them back and forth as fast as you could to run faster.

Along the lines of those sport games, Skate or Die and California games were good ones, too.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Bruce Lee was a great game. I played that game to the end. The end of the game just took you to some room that didn't have anywhere else to go beyond it. You're just in that room running around, and the game doesn't have any kind of proper ending to let you know you won. When I got there the first time, I probably spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to advance before I realized you just can't, and that's all there is to the game.

There was another karate game, called Fist 2 that I loved. It's a left to right side scroller, and when you get to the end of what they programmed for that game, you just come back around to where you started and keep looping through it. They were a lot of fun, though.

There was another karate game, called Fist 2 that I loved.

It was a more innocent time, before the internet corrupted us all.

I had Spectrums 48k and a 128K one. I was very young so I didnt know what I was missing with the C64. Broke a lot of different Kempton compatible joysticks waggling them, but I had an old Atari on with one trigger button that I couldnt ever seem to kill. I was using that thing on my Atari ST still in the early mid 90's.

My first home computor was a c64 in 1984. I have loads of fond memories from it but i don't think i have played a c64 game since the late 90s or early 2000s, not sure what happend to my C64, probably broke down and when my dad died (in 93) no one could repair it so it got tossed or something.
Have you ever tried playing any Commodore games in an emulator? It's a good way to get some nostalgia without having to have your old C64.

It was a more innocent time, before the internet corrupted us all.

I had Spectrums 48k and a 128K one. I was very young so I didnt know what I was missing with the C64. Broke a lot of different Kempton compatible joysticks waggling them, but I had an old Atari on with one trigger button that I couldnt ever seem to kill. I was using that thing on my Atari ST still in the early mid 90's.
The C64 used Atari-style joysticks, too. They had the same connector. Any Atari joystick would work with it, but you could also get 3rd party ones that were a lot better than those piece of crap Atari ones.

I had a few games where you had to push the joystick button as fast as you could to go faster. I ended up trying to cheat by buying a joystick that had a rapid auto-fire switch. Unfortunately, it was slightly slower than what I could do manually.

TRENDING THREADS