any fun relaxing games for mental health

YXP

Mar 9, 2022
Visit site
i have been suffering so much recently with mental health and most of the games I have are competitive... so you already know how I feel when I try to "have fun" and play sumn
so recommend anything that would help me escaping that mood for a bit
thanks.

Welcome to the forum :)

Lots of good recommendations here:

I can recommend Diablo 3 which is on 50% sale right now (can also try it for free). Very chill and you get nice progression/loot while smashing skulls in. Forza Horizon 5 is extremely chill if you like car games and just want to drive around exploring, customizing cars, doing stunts, or taking some pictures. If you try out the Xbox Game Pass trial, you'll also be able to play the game (and a bunch of others) for free while the trial lasts. Just remember to cancel before the next payment or you pay full price. Starbound is another game I can recommend. Explore, build, farm, and just go about as you like.

Exercise is the best thing you can do for your mental health. As for gaming in a more relaxed way, there are tons of different types of games I would consider relaxing, but it varies by person. For instance, I wouldn't consider Diablo 3 relaxing. For me, I want a non-combat, or mostly non-combat, game for relaxing, like Satisfactory (which is great because it takes your mind off things by requiring you to think) or Factorio (where you have the option to turn off raids). Also relaxing, to me, would be Car Mechanic Simulator. You can focus on your car repairs, which require a decent amount of thought, but there's no time limit or stress. Same thing goes with House Flipper You could also check out Townscaper and SuchArt!

Those, and other similar games, embody what I consider a relaxing game, but only you know what is relaxing to you.

Last edited:

YXP

Mar 9, 2022
Visit site
I can recommend Diablo 3 which is on 50% sale right now (can also try it for free). Very chill and you get nice progression/loot while smashing skulls in. Forza Horizon 5 is extremely chill if you like car games and just want to drive around exploring, customizing cars, doing stunts, or taking some pictures. If you try out the Xbox Game Pass trial, you'll also be able to play the game (and a bunch of others) for free while the trial lasts. Just remember to cancel before the next payment or you pay full price. Starbound is another game I can recommend. Explore, build, farm, and just go about as you like.
okay thanks :D

Reactions: Frindis

YXP

Mar 9, 2022
Visit site
Exercise is the best thing you can do for your mental health. As for gaming in a more relaxed way, there are tons of different types of games I would consider relaxing, but it varies by person. For instance, I wouldn't consider Diablo 3 relaxing. For me, I want a non-combat, or mostly non-combat, game for relaxing, like Satisfactory (which is great because it takes your mind off things by requiring you to think) or Factorio (where you have the option to turn off raids). Also relaxing, to me, would be Car Mechanic Simulator. You can focus on your car repairs, which require a decent amount of thought, but there's no time limit or stress. Same thing goes with House Flipper You could also check out Townscaper and SuchArt!

Those, and other similar games, embody what I consider a relaxing game, but only you know what is relaxing to you.
ooo okay I like those recommendations they really suit me especially house flipper will try that, thank you so much :D

I'll offer my 2 cents on the matter;

Perhaps take a break from the games you play and maybe pick up another hobby to detract your mind off of them. Maybe walk outside, in the park, get some fresh air with a fresh donut even.

Not a game per se, more so a break from the computer.
This right here, it may not be advice we want to hear but it can't be stressed enough. It's amazing what exercise and sunlight does, even if its a 20 minute walk outside. We're not mushrooms, we need sun, air and exercise.

I personally really like games where I can just take my time and explore to relax with. The Assassin's Creed series always worked pretty well for that, as just running around is pretty satisfying and the collectibles give you some direction on where to go next. The start of a new Civilization game also works well. Minecraft works too, though I do need some kind of goal so I don't feel like I'm just wasting my time.

Skyrim can work too, but getting a random dragon attack can be obnoxious to deal with when you just wanted to explore the environment.

YXP

Mar 9, 2022
Visit site
I personally really like games where I can just take my time and explore to relax with. The Assassin's Creed series always worked pretty well for that, as just running around is pretty satisfying and the collectibles give you some direction on where to go next. The start of a new Civilization game also works well. Minecraft works too, though I do need some kind of goal so I don't feel like I'm just wasting my time.

Skyrim can work too, but getting a random dragon attack can be obnoxious to deal with when you just wanted to explore the environment.
oh yea assassin's creed and Minecraft that seems very relaxing to play thank you so much <3

Zloth

Community Contributor
Not sure if you are still looking for games at this point, but I'll throw a few more in:
  • Subnautica... except when something tries to eat you. It has a 'creative mode' where you can build whatever you want safely that's just pure creation and unchallenging exploration. You can also have two saves, one in creative, one not, and play whichever depending on your mood.
  • No Man's Sky - same thing.
  • Death Stranding - lots of people cry in this game, but you probably won't, because you won't know what the frak just happened. Perhaps a bit sad at the start as you have to deal with Sam's mother's dead body, but not too sad seeing as how she dies just a few minutes after you first meet her.
  • Maybe Marvel's Midnight Suns, if you like the superhero thing, and chatting with them. Bounces between that and turn-based combat scenarios.
You can use console commands to make yourself invisible to enemies. That's how videos like this work:
View: https://youtu.be/9fx9KZ1isYg

YXP

Mar 9, 2022
Visit site
Not sure if you are still looking for games at this point, but I'll throw a few more in:
  • Subnautica... except when something tries to eat you. It has a 'creative mode' where you can build whatever you want safely that's just pure creation and unchallenging exploration. You can also have two saves, one in creative, one not, and play whichever depending on your mood.
  • No Man's Sky - same thing.
  • Death Stranding - lots of people cry in this game, but you probably won't, because you won't know what the frak just happened. Perhaps a bit sad at the start as you have to deal with Sam's mother's dead body, but not too sad seeing as how she dies just a few minutes after you first meet her.
  • Maybe Marvel's Midnight Suns, if you like the superhero thing, and chatting with them. Bounces between that and turn-based combat scenarios.
You can use console commands to make yourself invisible to enemies. That's how videos like this work:
View: https://youtu.be/9fx9KZ1isYg
always open for any more recommendations!
thank you so much

The start of a new Civilization game also works well
Probably applies to all Civ games, but I'm only sure about Civ4—which is still a great game today:

You can have it as relaxed as you want all game by starting with Custom Game and turning off Barbarians and selecting Always Peace. You can also eg reduce opponents to one friendly guy like Gandhi on a large or huge map, so you spend all your time exploring and expanding—great way to practice building economy.

$7.50 on Steam until March 2nd.

YXP

Mar 9, 2022
Visit site
Probably applies to all Civ games, but I'm only sure about Civ4—which is still a great game today:

You can have it as relaxed as you want all game by starting with Custom Game and turning off Barbarians and selecting Always Peace. You can also eg reduce opponents to one friendly guy like Gandhi on a large or huge map, so you spend all your time exploring and expanding—great way to practice building economy.

$7.50 on Steam until March 2nd.
okay thank you so much :D

Planet Crafter - Although Early Access, it's a pretty relaxing survival game. I'm amazed that it's made by just two people.
Train Station Renovation - a bit like House Flipper, also now has an expansion pack.
Sable

And for something completely different https://www.geoguessr.com

I agree with taking some exercise, even if it's just walking a mile listening to music you enjoy a few times a week.

But anything that distracts you, or you can lost in is great.
I consider Gaming, more the non competitive stuff, is good for your mental health as long as it's not the only thing you do.

YXP

Mar 9, 2022
Visit site
Go to the Wholesome Games YouTube channel. They've started doing an E3 showcase since 2020 of games that are wholesome. Their entire channel is built around games such as these. Calming, relaxing, chill, laid-back, fun, bubbly, charming, cute, wholesome... Pretty much any adjective that describes this sort of game. The channel has trailers for all those games. Check them out and take your pick.
thank you so much <3

YXP

Mar 9, 2022
Visit site
Planet Crafter - Although Early Access, it's a pretty relaxing survival game. I'm amazed that it's made by just two people.
Train Station Renovation - a bit like House Flipper, also now has an expansion pack.
Sable

And for something completely different https://www.geoguessr.com

I agree with taking some exercise, even if it's just walking a mile listening to music you enjoy a few times a week.

But anything that distracts you, or you can lost in is great.
I consider Gaming, more the non competitive stuff, is good for your mental health as long as it's not the only thing you do.
alright thank you ! really appreciate that