Games Forums Have become mental health wards

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I liked VATS as you could play a shooting game and not be good at aiming. Probably why its only one I like as more recent ones have had better shooting mechanics (owning ID Software has its advantages) and relied less on it. Now they no different to most other games... hence boring.

The graphics weren't what made NV a good game. But updating it to work on modern systems would be appreciated more than the endless releases of Failboat 4 enhanced edition. Bethesda makes one game and endlessly releases new versions for new consoles... Skyrim is on 15 consoles.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PlayStation 3)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Nintendo Switch)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (PC free upgrade)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (Xbox One)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (PlayStation 4)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition (PC Upgrade)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition (Xbox One)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition (PlayStation 4)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition (Xbox Series X/S)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition (PS5)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR (PSVR)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR (PC VR)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Alexa)

No wonder its taken them so long to make the next one, they too busy milking the last one. Why make a new game when people just keep buying the same one with "slightly" better graphics.

Its totally cool to enjoy older games and like them better, its all opinion. I like a lot of them myself. But I really believe if you took the best games available right now in almost every genre and took them back in time 10 or 15 years or more to stack up against what was available at the time people would be blown away.

I think the rise of FTP, GAAS and the open world 'bigger is always better' approach in many AAA studios kind of sucks from my perspective, because I have no interest in most of those. That doesnt take away from other games still being released that dont follow that approach, theyre still getting better and better, because they build off and add to what came before.

The gaming industry is pretty good at self regulation so i dont think we need government intervention. I am not going to name any particular thing that should not be in a game in case i offend somebody but their own common sense would tell them not to spend a couple of years paying lots of devs to make a game with questionable subject matter and then expect to sell enough to make a profit before its banned.

A good example of the industry self regulating happened after the twin towers were destroyed. Many months later several gamers companies reported that they had stopped working on a game that just happen to include a senario that featured the twin towers . Thousands of hours and bucket loads of money spent on something that nobody will ever get to see.

Steam reviews .... i dont take much notice of them unless i see red flag reports to avoid it , especially when players report their rigs sound like their going to launch themselves into space and they were only on the menus and not actually playing the game. I recently saw a player badmouthing a game and a dev posted to say please ignore this report we know all the users names he uses and he bad mouths everything we do. The bad mouther had left his profile open so i looked at it. He has dozens of games and a lot of them had never been used. He had posted rubbish comments about almost every game by lots of different companies.

Steam discussions pages are a minefield. I am permanently banned from 1 game discussion page , it went like this , a 1 day ban for saying something that a person did not like , a week long ban for just talking about the ban and that was followed by a lifetime ban because i was accused of flaming. Steam said the devs banned me and the devs say steam banned me ???? The moderators who police that game seem very selective , i still look at the games discussions and a certain group can say just what they want and get away with it.

My above posting is in support of the industry so to balance things out heres something i dont like.

Their are lots of different stages of development when a game has been released and i personally dont think it is acceptable.We have alpha , pre-alpha , beta , early access , experimental , what happened to finished ????
Is it fair or right that we the paying customers should be expected to buy something that does not work AND tell them whats wrong with it. i would compare it with buying a car and a salesman saying dont stop in top gear too long it might blow the engine cos its not been road tested since it was put into production.I use a popular game that came out in 2019 and its still tagged early access and they event said on youtube no updates.
A recently got a game on steam by an indie company and i listed 5 things that needed fixing , one week later the dev posted that no more work would be done on it as they were moving onto their next project.

My above posting is in support of the industry so to balance things out heres something i dont like.

Their are lots of different stages of development when a game has been released and i personally dont think it is acceptable.We have alpha , pre-alpha , beta , early access , experimental , what happened to finished ????
Is it fair or right that we the paying customers should be expected to buy something that does not work AND tell them whats wrong with it. i would compare it with buying a car and a salesman saying dont stop in top gear too long it might blow the engine cos its not been road tested since it was put into production.I use a popular game that came out in 2019 and its still tagged early access and they event said on youtube no updates.
A recently got a game on steam by an indie company and i listed 5 things that needed fixing , one week later the dev posted that no more work would be done on it as they were moving onto their next project.
I'm going to disagree with you there. I think it's fair enough to release a game in later progess of development as long as it's not a major issue like crashing continually or other major things that might make people ask for a refund or something like micro transactions.

And that was one way that I found gaming forums to be positive mainly on the old Ubisoft forums where players would request changes and make continuous suggestions, lively debate, feedback(and who better to get feedback from than the players themselves) that the devs would soon incorporate.

There were continuous healthy discussions and the Ubi devs would often makes comments and take on board suggestions made about their games even on the Steam forums.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Can you remember mass effect 3 , so many players complained about the ending that they completely re-wrote it. The new ending was released as a huge patch , i never saw the origonal ending , but i was really impressed by it , after you got to the stage where you could not do anything else a 20 minute cut scene kicked in , it was so good i loaded my last save so i could watch it all again.

Jan 13, 2024
Visit site
I keep hearing rumors 'bout an Obsidian TESIV: Oblivion remake using UE5, I'd probly buy that. I don't even buy AAA games anymore, they're too rage inducing. All the games I've enjoyed lately were games like Hero's Hour, Sands of Salzaar, or older games. Games that either did release 15 years ago or could have, technologically.

I haven't really enjoyed a new release since Borderlands 3, and I even waited for that to be on sale with the DLC edition before buying it. It's an auto-assumption that all new AAA games are duds, for me.

Just with how the state of the industry is, where a full, actual VR game were made (because imo none exist) is a literal impossibility, but yet companies are shutting down and closing, flushing down millions, billions of dollars for propaganda.

Heaven forfend that any company be willing to actually support new platform tech and push gaming forward instead of pandering to a regressive agenda, turning forums into funny farms where people will adamantly defend objectively bad games just for having certain elements that appeal to their sense of identity.

I suspect Valve is not just an idle participant in this, acting as a mere storefront. I think the truth about steam and why it was created is far more nefarious than most people would assume or guess. I think they're one of the big ringleaders in the entire circus wreck, of games that are so bad they are like burning trashfires of such immense proportion they can be seen from distant galaxies before they even release.

So I am actually serious when I say: Audit the Valve.

I keep hearing rumors 'bout an Obsidian TESIV: Oblivion remake using UE5, I'd probly buy that. I don't even buy AAA games anymore, they're too rage inducing. All the games I've enjoyed lately were games like Hero's Hour, Sands of Salzaar, or older games. Games that either did release 15 years ago or could have, technologically.

I haven't really enjoyed a new release since Borderlands 3, and I even waited for that to be on sale with the DLC edition before buying it. It's an auto-assumption that all new AAA games are duds, for me.

Just with how the state of the industry is, where a full, actual VR game were made (because imo none exist) is a literal impossibility, but yet companies are shutting down and closing, flushing down millions, billions of dollars for propaganda.

Heaven forfend that any company be willing to actually support new platform tech and push gaming forward instead of pandering to a regressive agenda, turning forums into funny farms where people will adamantly defend objectively bad games just for having certain elements that appeal to their sense of identity.

I suspect Valve is not just an idle participant in this, acting as a mere storefront. I think the truth about steam and why it was created is far more nefarious than most people would assume or guess. I think they're one of the big ringleaders in the entire circus wreck, of games that are so bad they are like burning trashfires of such immense proportion they can be seen from distant galaxies before they even release.

So I am actually serious when I say: Audit the Valve.
Okay so it's now really starting to sound like a one man vendetta against, Valve-Steam. What happened?

I've really enjoyed playing some games; Skyrim, GTAV, WD1&2 Legion, RD2, HZD, SofW, Days Gone and Steep, the most.

I still play GTAV post missions because it's just a brilliant driving game (and I think it's the online content that keeps people interested). Plus GTA6 will be the next big game.

I still play DG because it never stops being challenging and entertaining, Just like GTAV I can enjoy just driving around in the open world and there's always something happening.

SofW wasn't the sort of game I'd play although similar to Skyrim, but the Nemisis system makes it interesting.

Also the more I play those games on highest level the better I become in terms of skills and that makes them even more enjoyable and fun.
I think people can keep looking for new games, can feel they need to keep up to date with latest games, but I think you can find games that really appeal to you, that you focus on and become adept at.

If something better comes along add it to your list.

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS