AMD RX 6800XT Issues

Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

I recently built a new custom PC, switching over from Nvidia 1650 Super to an AMD RX 6800XT with a dual monitor Setup. My Main monitor is an AW2721D 240HZ 1440P, While my second is C24G1 144HZ 1080P.

And I've instantly started having black screens, green screens, crashes, driver timeouts. Not what I'd expect from a brand new, $700 GPU.
I've been looking endlessly on the internet for fixes, solutions and tried them all.

Tried Uninstalling GPU drivers with DDU, Tried undervolting GPU, Changing windows settings, Battery usage, Turning off hardware acceleration, Freesync on and off, changing Bios settings with XMP profiles on and off, and none of those worked.

But I've found a temporary fix where lowering my Main monitor's refresh rate from 240hz to 120hz has stopped the crashes and maybe happens about once a few days now, compared to constantly before. So I'm assuming the problem has to be something with the monitors.

Does anyone have a similiar issue, is it maybe because of the dual monitors?

I'd really like to use my monitor at 240Hz, because that's why I paid the 800 euro premium for it.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome :) Few questions and ideas based on what youve said so far.

1. Can you list the exact make and model of every component in your build? Power supply especially. Including the version of Windows you are running please, and the exact model and part number of RAM you are using.

2. Have you monitored the temperatures of the CPU and GPU while you're playing games?

3. What games you have played that cause the crashes?

4. Is the GPU using two different cables from the PSU or one cable with two connectors?

5. Are there are any games that don't crash?

6. Do the crashes only happen in game or does it happen randomly on the desktop while idling?

7. What kind of drive are the games stored on?

Someone else might have other questions, but all that would be good to know first as well.

Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
Hi
Hi and welcome :) Few questions and ideas based on what youve said so far.

1. Can you list the exact make and model of every component in your build? Power supply especially. Including the version of Windows you are running please, and the exact model and part number of RAM you are using.

2. Have you monitored the temperatures of the CPU and GPU while you're playing games?

3. What games you have played that cause the crashes?

4. Is the GPU using two different cables from the PSU or one cable with two connectors?

5. Are there are any games that don't crash?

6. Do the crashes only happen in game or does it happen randomly on the desktop while idling?

7. What kind of drive are the games stored on?

Someone else might have other questions, but all that would be good to know first as well.
Hi thanks for the reply!

1. RAM: Kingston fury 4x 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz. I'm not too sure about model and part number sorry!
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z690 DDR4.
CPU + Cooler: I5-13600k, Arctic Liquid Cooler 280mm.
Storage: 1TB Patriot M.2 Disk.
PSU: 1000W Armor Gold.
GPU: RX 6800XT XFX Merc

2. I will update you on the temps as soon as I get home, but very cool from what I could tell!

3. Literally every game I play, when I have 240hz on: Genshin Impact, Fifa 23, AC Odyssey, Lost ark, Valorant, Warzone, Rarely even on league of legends.

4. Two connectors with one cable

5. While using 240hz, yes mainly very undemanding games like hearthstone, league of legends. But 120hz, none crash, maybe once in a few days.

6. It has happened on desktop while browsing youtube on the other monitor sometimes too, but very uncommon.

7. Everything is stored on the same 1tb M.2 drive including OS

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
I don't think that's the issue because, the game mentioned Genshin impact, can't even run at 240Hz. The maximum is 60Hz so it's not taking any extra performance, the only difference is the monitor setting. Also please see attached the image of my temps with Genshin running at max settings, I can't even hear the fans running so it's very light work for my PC, but at 240hz it can't even launch because it instantly crashes.

Also 2nd image to see the GPU connectors as I'm not sure I understand.

Yes it's the SAMA Psu :)

<a href='https://www.linkpicture.com/view.php?img=LPic63c6c97f58be11280797976'>

<a href='https://www.linkpicture.com/view.php?img=LPic63c6ca10c556e490262020'>

Hard to see whats going on with the power here, but I mean that you should be using two different cables on two different ports on the PSU itself. In the image you'd be using VGA1 and 2 or 1 and 7, whatever.

K5ZNt4s.jpg

What leads me to think its your PSU is that your model is listed as having problems with high transient power draw GPU's here. Its under Tier A Low priority units.

Here if you scroll to the bottom you can see that the 6800XT 3rd party custom cards like yours can have very large spikes in power consumption when power load changes before it settles back to normal. This was a problem with quite a few different PSU's over the last generation of cards.

I understand that in Genshin its not drawing a consistently large amount of power, but it may still experience those kinds of spikes which cause the PSU to cut power because it believes something is wrong. This would cause crashes and shutdowns.

It may not be that. You could try rolling back to older versions of the Radeon driver, running SFC scannow in Windows etc and testing. I just have a strong feeling its the PSU thats the problem here because of the above.

Someone else may have some more ideas for things to try here yet. You could try looking in Windows Event Viewer, and look for events that occur when you have the problems. Try searching for problems related to those events and try anything suggested there. Do the crashes occur when you are only using 1 monitor?

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
I can see your point, but if the problem was the PSU wouldn't the crashes happen just as frequently on 120hz? I can't see 240hz making that HUGE of a power draw difference.

Right now on 120Hz I haven't had a single crash in about a whole week, this is why my biggest suspicion is to do with the monitors.

I've never had the PC shutdown on me to overheating or over power drawing, it always just crashes the game and gives me an error popup "Amd driver timeout".

I'm not too familiar with AMD software, but anytime I uninstalled the driver, I had to install the Adrenaline software and it downloads the latest drivers on it's own, don't think there's an option to do previous verisons or download the driver seperately.

I haven't tried with only one monitor, but if you think it's worth a shot I'll give it a try and let you know!

I can see your point, but if the problem was the PSU wouldn't the crashes happen just as frequently on 120hz? I can't see 240hz making that HUGE of a power draw difference.
I dont know, if the card isn't working that hard to get to 120 FPS in the games you mention, the spikes may be lower, meaning less frequent problems.

Whatever happens its good practice to use two cables from the PSU for the GPU. It may well not make a difference but always better to split the power over two cables. I've seen melted connectors before from high powered GPU's. I see now it does appear to have a single 12v power rail, so it shouldnt matter really. Still worth trying though. Cant find any reviews for your PSU which isnt usually a good sign.

Right now on 120Hz I haven't had a single crash in about a whole week, this is why my biggest suspicion is to do with the monitors.

I've never had the PC shutdown on me to overheating or over power drawing, it always just crashes the game and gives me an error popup "Amd driver timeout".

I'm not too familiar with AMD software, but anytime I uninstalled the driver, I had to install the Adrenaline software and it downloads the latest drivers on it's own, don't think there's an option to do previous verisons or download the driver seperately.

I haven't tried with only one monitor, but if you think it's worth a shot I'll give it a try and let you know!

You should be able to download a previous version of Adrenaline from AMD's own site. At least for my card I can get the one prior to the current.

Definitely try using just the 240hz monitor. Could be something with the driver getting confused as you have two different refresh rates and resolutions going on there. If it stops at that point then at least you know its not a hardware problem.

I don't know how to like your comment but thanks a lot you've been really helpful!!
Youre welcome :)

Are you using Vsync when youre running 240hz? If not try putting it on in the in game settings, or in Global try both/either if one doesnt help. You could also try limiting FPS under Global advanced setting to 239 or 230, something under the max.

Also just occurred to me, should have thought about it before. Do you have any of the Radeon Anti Lag, Chill and so on turned on under Global Graphics? If so, turn them all off and test again.

Its worth posting over at Toms Hardware, and linking to this thread. There are a lot more people over there who may have better ideas than me :)

Whatever happens if you find a solution please post back here and let us know, it may help someone else in the future.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023
Visit site
Youre welcome :)

Are you using Vsync when youre running 240hz? If not try putting it on in the in game settings, or in Global try both/either if one doesnt help. You could also try limiting FPS under Global advanced setting to 239 or 230, something under the max.

Also just occurred to me, should have thought about it before. Do you have any of the Radeon Anti Lag, Chill and so on turned on under Global Graphics? If so, turn them all off and test again.

Its worth posting over at Toms Hardware, and linking to this thread. There are a lot more people over there who may have better ideas than me :)

Whatever happens if you find a solution please post back here and let us know, it may help someone else in the future.

Regarding software and Bios, I'm sad to say that I've tried everything after spending about a week searching for every possible fix online.

Freesync on and off, Image sharpening, Anti-Lag, Chill, Playing around with certain GPU voltages, Obscure stuff like turning off/changing the recording settings in Adrenaline software, Image depth 8bit and 10bit, changing a couple windows settings, but nothing made any difference.

If anyone else has the same issue as me, Lowering refresh rate seems to be the only temporary fix which lets you play games without crashes.

Honestly right now I'm really scared of changing anything regarding hardware since I haven't had any crashes, and don't want it to start happening every 2 minutes again.. But if it happens again I'll test with only the main 240hz monitor and keep you updated.

I'll give it a shot and see if anyone has a similiar issue on Tom's and let you know as well!

Feb 21, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

I recently built a new custom PC, switching over from Nvidia 1650 Super to an AMD RX 6800XT with a dual monitor Setup. My Main monitor is an AW2721D 240HZ 1440P, While my second is C24G1 144HZ 1080P.

And I've instantly started having black screens, green screens, crashes, driver timeouts. Not what I'd expect from a brand new, $700 GPU.
I've been looking endlessly on the internet for fixes, solutions and tried them all.

Tried Uninstalling GPU drivers with DDU, Tried undervolting GPU, Changing windows settings, Battery usage, Turning off hardware acceleration, Freesync on and off, changing Bios settings with XMP profiles on and off, and none of those worked.

But I've found a temporary fix where lowering my Main monitor's refresh rate from 240hz to 120hz has stopped the crashes and maybe happens about once a few days now, compared to constantly before. So I'm assuming the problem has to be something with the monitors.

Does anyone have a similiar issue, is it maybe because of the dual monitors?

I'd really like to use my monitor at 240Hz, because that's why I paid the 800 euro premium for it.

Thanks!
Hi I'm new here. But I saw your message and I needed to reply. I have got a Powercolor RX 6800XT red dragon, and have problems with crashes, and I realized after testing , that freesync is the problem. It's a 4K 60HZ monitor and I realized that freesync crashes games now and then in some games. I've turned Freesync off and I have no crashes. So maybe that can help. If a game keeps crashing.

TRENDING THREADS