Adding Ram?

Sep 14, 2022
Visit site
I currently have a pc with 2x8gb DDR4 ram. I have two open slots and want to add more. I have always heard you should get the same size sticks and even same manufacturer in a perfect world. I am wonderiung how much does this really matter? can I buy 2x16gb sticks and then have a total of 48gb? will this work? or do I need to get 2x8gb sticks? also the numbers related to timing do these need to match the sticks I already have? I know in a perfect world I would have 4 sticks of same size and brand but thats not the point here. Can I mix and match and will this be effective? what do I need to know? any feedback greatly appreciated!!

Reactions: Brian Boru
I have always heard you should get the same size sticks and even same manufacturer in a perfect world. I am wonderiung how much does this really matter?
using non matched sticks can lead to BSOD you weren't having before

What CPU do you have? Intel systems might cope better with adding more ram. Ryzen might struggle.

its not just the sizes. You can have exactly same sticks, but if they not part of a set, they might cause errors. Sticks in sets only tested to work with other sticks in that set.
If you want 4 sticks without errors, buy 4 in a set.

It might work fine or it might cause errors.
there is no way to know before hand.

I have seen people with motherboards that accept 8 sticks of ram, and they filled every slot with 4 different sets, and it all worked.
Others add 1 stick and get errors.

Its a gamble, is what I am saying. I wouldn't do it myself but I can understand temptation. If I didn't have Ryzen, it would be tempting to add 2 more sticks but i really don't need more than 32gb, it would just be to make my rgb look better.

Reactions: Brian Boru