Achievement Hunting.

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Would that be so bad to earn credits?

There is too much cross over between playing games for fun and playing them as a job. I feel if people could earn credits towards a future purchase, it should be locked to the account so it can't be transferred to someone else later. Too many people are paid to play so that someone else can gather the profits after. If credits locked to one account, less chance it can be used in this way.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
There is too much cross over between playing games for fun and playing them as a job. I feel if people could earn credits towards a future purchase, it should be locked to the account so it can't be transferred to someone else later. Too many people are paid to play so that someone else can gather the profits after. If credits locked to one account, less chance it can be used in this way.

It's quite sad that we would have to go to these lengths to ensure people are playing for fun.

Yea, that sort of thing is highly subjective. Personally, lack of 100% doesn't bother me. I'll even drop games half-finished if I stop having fun. At the end of the day, I want my gaming experience to be relaxing and fun, and when that ceases to be the case I simply move on.
Me, too. I don't know how many games I have that I've put an hour or two into, and then ditched. Gaming is amusement to me. I barely have time to play games that I like. I'm not going to waste my time playing something I don't enjoy.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
Me, too. I don't know how many games I have that I've put an hour or two into, and then ditched. Gaming is amusement to me. I barely have time to play games that I like. I'm not going to waste my time playing something I don't enjoy.

What's the most you've spent on a game and only played it for one or two hours? I think I'd be crying at what they cost now and only get an hour out of it.

Reactions: Brian Boru
What's the most you've spent on a game and only played it for one or two hours? I think I'd be crying at what they cost now and only get an hour out of it.
Probably not much at all. Most of those games were either Epic Freebies or Steam sales. If I'm going to pay full price for a game, I'll research it and make darned sure it's going to be something I want to play.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Kovanen

Zloth

Community Contributor
Lots of good stuff with achievements!
  • I use them sometimes to gauge how far I am into a game by checking global achievement rates.
  • Sometimes it's interesting to see some of the achievements others are getting compared to what you've gotten in a given chapter. For instance, if 40% of folks have the "get 100 critical hits" achievement while 35% have the "reach chapter 9" achievement while I'm currently in chapter 12, I'll look up how critical hits work to see if I'm doing something wrong.
  • When evaluating games, I might check to see how many people are getting to the end of the game (assuming it HAS an end and there's an achievement for it). If it isn't a long game and only 5% of people have finished it, that's not a good sign. If it is a really long game and 25% are finishing it, that's a great sign.
  • Most of all, I use them as optional goals. If an achievement sounds fun to get, I'll go after it. If not... well, then it gets complex. I've got to weigh how not-fun it sounds vs. how rare it is vs. whether I've got another game waiting that I really want to play.
Does it not annoy you scrolling through games and seeing 81% done.. Even though you've finished the game, just bothers me as it makes me feel like I haven't and then becomes a chore and a slog capturing the last few achievements.
Look upon me and despair!!
full

I looked up that last one and it meant probably another 10 hours. Getting the achievement would have made the second game I ever 100%'ed, but I just didn't feel like doing it at the time.

P.S. You might like this topic:

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
Lots of good stuff with achievements!
  • I use them sometimes to gauge how far I am into a game by checking global achievement rates.
  • Sometimes it's interesting to see some of the achievements others are getting compared to what you've gotten in a given chapter. For instance, if 40% of folks have the "get 100 critical hits" achievement while 35% have the "reach chapter 9" achievement while I'm currently in chapter 12, I'll look up how critical hits work to see if I'm doing something wrong.
  • When evaluating games, I might check to see how many people are getting to the end of the game (assuming it HAS an end and there's an achievement for it). If it isn't a long game and only 5% of people have finished it, that's not a good sign. If it is a really long game and 25% are finishing it, that's a great sign.
  • Most of all, I use them as optional goals. If an achievement sounds fun to get, I'll go after it. If not... well, then it gets complex. I've got to weigh how not-fun it sounds vs. how rare it is vs. whether I've got another game waiting that I really want to play.

Look upon me and despair!!
full

I looked up that last one and it meant probably another 10 hours. Getting the achievement would have made the second game I ever 100%'ed, but I just didn't feel like doing it at the time.

P.S. You might like this topic:

I've never considered using achievements in that sense, I actually quite like that idea and how you make them useful.

PS. That 12/13 is bothering me, I didn't sleep easy knowing that! You should finish it ... 😂

lol i have 21 games on Steam and only finished 2 of them... and one of the 2 is so old it doesn't have achievements... so I don't want to know what my average is :)

I don't play games to finish them. I like games that have no real end. That would explain why I have city builders, some 4x and ARPG mainly. I am more likely to restart the game near end than to finish it. One exception is Journey but then it too doesn't have an end... its complicated.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
lol i have 21 games on Steam and only finished 2 of them... and one of the 2 is so old it doesn't have achievements... so I don't want to know what my average is :)

I don't play games to finish them. I like games that have no real end. That would explain why I have city builders, some 4x and ARPG mainly. I am more likely to restart the game near end than to finish it. One exception is Journey but then it too doesn't have an end... its complicated.

Are you telling me you've never played The Witcher 3?

actually, this is wrong. I haven't completed any of them when it comes to achievements. I have finished the stories on some of them but not completed games. I stop playing games when I want to, not cause I have all the achievements.
Achievements are an add on. I been playing video games for 40 year or so, and early on the most you got for winning were bonus modes, like Big Head modes in Goldeneye. Out of game awards made no sense until the internet was there to award them. and even then its just a score. A tally... more a way for those running system to get people to buy more games to get a higher score.

Its just like any trophy system. Its there to drive engagement. Its amazing where you find it being used - https://forums.pcgamer.com/help/trophies/ :D

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
actually, this is wrong. I haven't completed any of them when it comes to achievements. I have finished the stories on some of them but not completed games. I stop playing games when I want to, not cause I have all the achievements.
Achievements are an add on. I been playing video games for 40 year or so, and early on the most you got for winning were bonus modes, like Big Head modes in Goldeneye. Out of game awards made no sense until the internet was there to award them. and even then its just a score. A tally... more a way for those running system to get people to buy more games to get a higher score.

Its just like any trophy system. Its there to drive engagement. Its amazing where you find it being used - https://forums.pcgamer.com/help/trophies/ :D

Great, now I've got more trophies to hunt for.. prepare for a load of random posts! 😛

I very seldom do achievements the game wants me to do. The last one I did was clearing all the safe zones in Dying Light and I can't even remember the one before that. Normally they are just a friendly reminder that I have achieved something I knew already I had achieved, like getting this achievement in Prey: "You died to helicopter blades on your first day on the job". I just wanted to see what would happen if I jumped up at the blades, which I reckon is how many people die in real life also: "Hmmm, I wonder If I can scale this wet mountain surface with my flip flops".

I play a lot of games with my nephews and we all love to make our own achievements, especially in Battle Royale games. It could be anything from crawling only to winning a BR match without using any weapons. For me, this is way more exciting than chasing what the game wants you to do. Winning over my nephews in a challenge is of course always a sweet victory:grin:

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
I very seldom do achievements the game wants me to do. The last one I did was clearing all the safe zones in Dying Light and I can't even remember the one before that. Normally they are just a friendly reminder that I have achieved something I knew already I had achieved, like getting this achievement in Prey: "You died to helicopter blades on your first day on the job". I just wanted to see what would happen if I jumped up at the blades, which I reckon is how many people die in real life also: "Hmmm, I wonder If I can scale this wet mountain surface with my flip flops".

I play a lot of games with my nephews and we all love to make our own achievements, especially in Battle Royale games. It could be anything from crawling only to winning a BR match without using any weapons. For me, this is way more exciting than chasing what the game wants you to do.

Remind me to never go mountain climbing with you..

.. I like those sort of fun in game stuff though, a few friends did similar on Rainbow Six Siege. Can only prone for the whole round or you can only enter rooms walking backwards, use the mouse with your weaker hand sort of challenges. They're quite fun.

@Kovanen Using the other hand challenge sounds like a lot of fun, will have to try that out when my nephews come to visit me tomorrow. Here is one for you that we did a year back: Play Rainbow Six Siege or a similar game where one of your friends is blindfolded and the other person has to be the eyes. We tried this out in Warzone and it is both hilarious and difficult at the same time.

Speaking of climbing, here is a video of a free climb with some of the craziest "daredevils". Magnus, a Norwegian climber and one of our absolute best, is climbing with Alex Hannold. This climb is just INSANE!, especially since even being a very good climber, you can see how Magnus at times really has the shakes. It tells me that not only is free soloing at this level something only a few people in the world can do, but it also shows me what we humans are capable of doing with the right mindset and people to motivate us. As Magnus said somewhere in the video: "I would not have done this alone"

It's no joke and without a helping hand from Hannold and a cool head,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyya23MPoAI

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
@Kovanen Using the other hand challenge sounds like a lot of fun, will have to try that out when my nephews come to visit me tomorrow. Here is one for you that we did a year back: Play Rainbow Six Siege or a similar game where one of your friends is blindfolded and the other person has to be the eyes. We tried this out in Warzone and it is both hilarious and difficult at the same time.

Speaking of climbing, here is a video of a free climb with some of the craziest "daredevils". Magnus, a Norwegian climber and one of our absolute best, is climbing with Alex Hannold. This climb is just INSANE!, especially since even being a very good climber, you can see how Magnus at times really has the shakes. It tells me that not only is free soloing at this level something only a few people in the world can do, but it also shows me what we humans are capable of doing with the right mindset and people to motivate us. As Magnus said somewhere in the video: "I would not have done this alone"

It's no joke and without a helping hand from Hannold and a cool head,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyya23MPoAI

Oh man that sounds chaotic, I don't trust them to guide me with my eyes open! Haha.

That's some ability and confidence to do that, I don't think I'll be trying it anytime soon myself. 😅

Agreed. I have less free time overall these days and I've been diversifying my hobbies a bit, so if I'm not feeling a game I'm not going to slog through it. I have plenty of games to get to in my backlog, not even considering the future releases I'm looking forward to.

I was trying to think what I use achievements for - and it came to basically nothing. Well that's not totally true in some cases it gives an indication of have far I have got (though not all). An example might be something that tells me I reached the end of a section of the game and how many other people (usually as a %) did so as well.

My wife however likes to get all the achievements - drives me a little crazy since she will rope me in to helping with the more difficult ones. I try hiding but that doesn't work.

Great, now I've got more trophies to hunt for.. prepare for a load of random posts! 😛
Most of them here are pretty easy, they just require you to keep posting and interacting. Some other Future forums complicate matters, on one of them I never know when I might get a trophy as it doesn't show the counts. Its a surprise when it happens.

That is how I treat most achievements, a surprise but it doesn't mean anything. Achieving everything you want in a game can be a negative as it gives you no reason to keep playing. I have done that in games before, and its sad if you like game.

They need optional achievements that don't count towards 100%. They just there for the people who really want to keep playing. Just to keep both camps happy
camp 1 - we want to finish games as fast as possible
camp 2 - we don't want to think about the end...

Most of them here are pretty easy, they just require you to keep posting and interacting. Some other Future forums complicate matters, on one of them I never know when I might get a trophy as it doesn't show the counts. Its a surprise when it happens.

That is how I treat most achievements, a surprise but it doesn't mean anything. Achieving everything you want in a game can be a negative as it gives you no reason to keep playing. I have done that in games before, and its sad if you like game.

They need optional achievements that don't count towards 100%. They just there for the people who really want to keep playing. Just to keep both camps happy
camp 1 - we want to finish games as fast as possible
camp 2 - we don't want to think about the end...

Finishing the game is the 100% achievement. Any achievements (or trophies or whatever) tracked outside the game are already the optional achievements.

TRENDING THREADS