Achievement Hunting.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
Hi,

Are any of you keen achievement hunters? Do you enjoy the little pop up or reward for finishing a story chapter, collecting a hundred feathers or perhaps beating the game in a set style?

What's been some of your best and favourite games to hunt achievements on? And what's been your worse game or achievement to hunt?

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm not keen on it, but I do enjoy whatever little popups I get which tell me how wonderful I am—I like a game which is a good judge of my play!

I've played a good few casual games, and I noticed in a number of them that some achievements were put in to make you suffer—typically the need to replay some level 10-20 times to accumulate enough of whatever is needed. No thanks, I'll go play another game instead.

I've replayed Far Cry 3 5-6 times—currently replaying it, actually—and a couple of those I said "Okay, I'm gonna grab all the collectibles this run". Never went thru with it tho, had enough of the game before I could get close to that goal.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

I'm not keen on it, but I do enjoy whatever little popups I get which tell me how wonderful I am—I like a game which is a good judge of my play!

I've played a good few casual games, and I noticed in a number of them that some achievements were put in to make you suffer—typically the need to replay some level 10-20 times to accumulate enough of whatever is needed. No thanks, I'll go play another game instead.

I've replayed Far Cry 3 5-6 times—currently replaying it, actually—and a couple of those I said "Okay, I'm gonna grab all the collectibles this run". Never went thru with it tho, had enough of the game before I could get close to that goal.

Thank you for the welcome.

I've noticed that you've got some games like Telltale The Walking Dead and it's an easy 100% which is nice for the OCD. But then certain games of completing an entire play through without dying is crippling lol.

What makes you keep playing that same game over & over?

What makes you keep playing that same game over & over
Most of the replays were in the 3 years after release. Then once 3-4 years ago, and again now. The obvious reason, I enjoy it—apart from the dreadful UI :)

I play far fewer games than most here, partly due to time constraints and partly due to needing to enjoy what I play—so replays of old favs is a lot of my play time. Earlier this year I had a month of Civ4, and I will very probably have a month of Command and Conquer soon :)

I like achievements and I notice when they are absent (e.g., on Switch), but I'm generally not an achievement hunter. If I really love a game I might try to go for achievements, but that is pretty uncommon. The most recent example is Borderlands 3, and I'm currently 66/81 (81%) for achievements. I'm not sure if I'll go back and 100% it or not, but I did do a decent bit of achievement hunting while playing.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
Most of the replays were in the 3 years after release. Then once 3-4 years ago, and again now. The obvious reason, I enjoy it—apart from the dreadful UI :)

I play far fewer games than most here, partly due to time constraints and partly due to needing to enjoy what I play—so replays of old favs is a lot of my play time. Earlier this year I had a month of Civ4, and I will very probably have a month of Command and Conquer soon :)

I honestly forget how old FarCry 3 is lol. I just for some reason assumed your play through's where within the last year or so.

I like achievements and I notice when they are absent (e.g., on Switch), but I'm generally not an achievement hunter. If I really love a game I might try to go for achievements, but that is pretty uncommon. The most recent example is Borderlands 3, and I'm currently 66/81 (81%) for achievements. I'm not sure if I'll go back and 100% it or not, but I did do a decent bit of achievement hunting while playing.

Doesn't the Switch have a similar system with stickers instead? I could be wrong ...

What made you go for a lot of achievements during the play through or was it happy accident at the same time? I feel some achievements can cause a game burn out, rather than motivate you through it more than once.

I honestly forget how old FarCry 3 is lol. I just for some reason assumed your play through's where within the last year or so.

Doesn't the Switch have a similar system with stickers instead? I could be wrong ...

What made you go for a lot of achievements during the play through or was it happy accident at the same time? I feel some achievements can cause a game burn out, rather than motivate you through it more than once.
I did achievement hunting after I beat the main game, but Borderlands 3 (and the series in general) is pretty much made to be played multiple times. So, on my second playthrough I did a lot more side stuff and targeted some of the achievements that I felt like going for. You're definitely right that certain achievements can just drive you crazy, and I will usually avoid those altogether.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
I did achievement hunting after I beat the main game, but Borderlands 3 (and the series in general) is pretty much made to be played multiple times. So, on my second playthrough I did a lot more side stuff and targeted some of the achievements that I felt like going for. You're definitely right that certain achievements can just drive you crazy, and I will usually avoid those altogether.

Does it not annoy you scrolling through games and seeing 81% done.. Even though you've finished the game, just bothers me as it makes me feel like I haven't and then becomes a chore and a slog capturing the last few achievements.

I'm probably like Brian. I like it when I get an achievement, but I don't go seeking after them. I'm about the opposite of someone who feels like they need to 100% a game. If I'm playing a campaign, I want to beat the story. But above and beyond that, I just play while I'm enjoying the game, and quit when it becomes a chore. I don't want my gaming experiences to ever be a chore. And by that, I'm talking more about how I feel about it than the act of grinding. I'm fine with some grinding, as long as I'm having fun with it.

And by the way, welcome to the forum, @Kovanen ! I hope you stick around. Seems like you're going to add a lot of good stuff to the discussion!

I dont care for achievement hunting i think its just a free way for devs to get players to replay their games w/o adding any content. I dont like achievements buried behind "beat this game on new game+" or get "x" number of kills with this gun. If it rewarded me with something fine, but an "achievement" unlock really doesnt push me to get it, neither does the game saying "81% done" when ive beatin the game. I beat it, im done with it.

But i have gotten some rare ones and it did feel good to unlock them so there is that.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
I'm probably like Brian. I like it when I get an achievement, but I don't go seeking after them. I'm about the opposite of someone who feels like they need to 100% a game. If I'm playing a campaign, I want to beat the story. But above and beyond that, I just play while I'm enjoying the game, and quit when it becomes a chore. I don't want my gaming experiences to ever be a chore. And by that, I'm talking more about how I feel about it than the act of grinding. I'm fine with some grinding, as long as I'm having fun with it.

And by the way, welcome to the forum, @Kovanen ! I hope you stick around. Seems like you're going to add a lot of good stuff to the discussion!

I'm not one hundred percent entirely sure where I stand on the ahciecments system. I love it one day, hate it the next. But I can see where it would become a chore grinding 1,000 souls in a game or something else mundane. But it also gives a great sense of satisfaction once the achievements are entirely complete.

Thank you for the welcome.

I dont care for achievement hunting i think its just a free way for devs to get players to replay their games w/o adding any content. I dont like achievements buried behind "beat this game on new game+" or get "x" number of kills with this gun. If it rewarded me with something fine, but an "achievement" unlock really doesnt push me to get it, neither does the game saying "81% done" when ive beatin the game. I beat it, im done with it.

But i have gotten some rare ones and it did feel good to unlock them so there is that.

What do the developers benefit from you playing the game over and over again, once you've purchased it and anything else it has to offer be that DLC or some skins, they don't gain anything from that do they?

I don't generally take any notice of any of the achievements in games.

I have known people who play games long past point of enjoyment just to get all the achievements. That feels like work to me.

I am missing the multiplayer and hardcore achievements from Torchlight 2. I expect I could get both pretty easy as one is to start a HC character and other is to die as one... pretty sure I could do both. But... I didn't chase any of the achievements in that game, they just sort of happened... over 10 years. One other achievement wants you to have 10 million gold... i don't feel like grinding. It took me 8 years to get to 1 million.
6 other hidden achievements, I could guess one is finish game with all classes. I won't be getting that in a hurry.

They give some people a reason to keep playing games after they have finished. Others see them as a torture as they want to finish game and move on to next.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
I don't generally take any notice of any of the achievements in games.

I have known people who play games long past point of enjoyment just to get all the achievements. That feels like work to me.

I am missing the multiplayer and hardcore achievements from Torchlight 2. I expect I could get both pretty easy as one is to start a HC character and other is to die as one... pretty sure I could do both. But... I didn't chase any of the achievements in that game, they just sort of happened... over 10 years. One other achievement wants you to have 10 million gold... i don't feel like grinding. It took me 8 years to get to 1 million.
6 other hidden achievements, I could guess one is finish game with all classes. I won't be getting that in a hurry.

They give some people a reason to keep playing games after they have finished. Others see them as a torture as they want to finish game and move on to next.

That 8 million sounds like torture within itself.

• Haha
Reactions: redmark_
Does it not annoy you scrolling through games and seeing 81% done.. Even though you've finished the game, just bothers me as it makes me feel like I haven't and then becomes a chore and a slog capturing the last few achievements.
Yea, that sort of thing is highly subjective. Personally, lack of 100% doesn't bother me. I'll even drop games half-finished if I stop having fun. At the end of the day, I want my gaming experience to be relaxing and fun, and when that ceases to be the case I simply move on.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
i got all the achievements in Journey on PS4 in the same day... but well, I had played the PS3 version so i knew what to do.

hardest part of 8 million is its not cumulative or I probably have it long ago. No, 1 character has to have 10 million. Not going to happen really. Lots of other uses for gold.

I suppose due to the uses of the gold, is what makes it an annoying achiement to really go for.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
More people playing it means more chance for those people to talk about it, exposing more people to the game.

I guess that could be sense in some cases but I don't think I've inspired many people to play Assassin's Creed for talking about hunting 100 feathers without a guide to unlock a little achievement. It seems a little niche extra thing for the developers to me.

I guess that could be sense in some cases but I don't think I've inspired many people to play Assassin's Creed for talking about hunting 100 feathers without a guide to unlock a little achievement. It seems a little niche extra thing for the developers to me.

I mean, you did just mention it, who knows whether it might inspire someone to play some Assassin's Creed when they read this? Even if the chance is pretty low per mention, implementing achievements especially is pretty easy stuff. I assume there's been research on this showing it's worth it.

I suppose due to the uses of the gold, is what makes it an annoying achiement to really go for.

It was only with the help of mods I actually got the 1 million mark.

I don't like finishing games as then I have to find something else to do. Therefore achievements are normally the last thing I want.
from the perspective of someone who plays a new game every week:

I am like ryzen though, I just play games for fun

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
I mean, you did just mention it, who knows whether it might inspire someone to play some Assassin's Creed when they read this? Even if the chance is pretty low per mention, implementing achievements especially is pretty easy stuff. I assume there's been research on this showing it's worth it.

I mean sure, there is the possibility that someone could but the chances of that based on the conversation itself. I would say very little people would be interested by just mentioning the feather achievement.

I've no doubts that it's worth doing, for the people it doesn't bother it won't matter but for the people it does matter too, will just have that addictive knock on effect to get everything completed and unlocked. It would in itself create a community and cause extra chatter about a game that would probably die and fade away much earlier without it but I imagine those numbers to be very small to have such an impact.

It was only with the help of mods I actually got the 1 million mark.

I don't like finishing games as then I have to find something else to do. Therefore achievements are normally the last thing I want.
from the perspective of someone who plays a new game every week:

I am like ryzen though, I just play games for fun

You're quite the avid gamer to play a new one every week. Would people's opinions change if the achievements resulted in a reward like a discount on the store or game credit towards DLC/Expansions?

You're quite the avid gamer to play a new one every week. Would people's opinions change if the achievements resulted in a reward like a discount on the store or game credit towards DLC/Expansions?
you misunderstood, I was referring to the video.

I am far from playing 1 game a week...

If achievements actually meant something then maybe. I think best reward would be something in the game, otherwise people will just play games to earn credits.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
you misunderstood, I was referring to the video.

I am far from playing 1 game a week...

If achievements actually meant something then maybe. I think best reward would be something in the game, otherwise people will just play games to earn credits.

Would that be so bad to earn credits?

At least with the reference to the hundred feathers from Assassin's Creed you got given a cloak to wear. Sure.. it granted ****** all benefits to your stats or anything remotely useful in game mind.. but you got something 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
I mean sure, there is the possibility that someone could but the chances of that based on the conversation itself. I would say very little people would be interested by just mentioning the feather achievement.

I've no doubts that it's worth doing, for the people it doesn't bother it won't matter but for the people it does matter too, will just have that addictive knock on effect to get everything completed and unlocked. It would in itself create a community and cause extra chatter about a game that would probably die and fade away much earlier without it but I imagine those numbers to be very small to have such an impact.

I don't think it's the word of mouth of the achievements/collectibles themselves that convinces people to play, but just because you're playing the game more means you'll probably talk about the other aspects of the game more too.

TRENDING THREADS