A Small Snippet From My A Plague Tale: Innocence Playthrough.

SPOILERS

If you've not played this game, but plan on getting it, this will spoil basic end gameplay. This is the 2nd phase of the final battle. Leave it to evil men wearing religious hats to create a race war of rats. It's pretty much like a chess match, you need to lure Vitalis' white rats to attack at the sides to clear the way for Hugo's black rats to attack the rats protecting Vitalis.

Once Hugo's rats kill the ones protecting Vitalis, he's open for slinging a rock at his head. The 2nd round involves extinguishing a brazier Vitalis makes appear in the center, which the black rats cannot go near. The 3rd round involves more white rat attacks. The trick is to avoid being trapped and eaten by the white rats in the 3rd round.

There's far more to this game than just having Hugo command rats though, which only happens mostly in the final 2 chapters (16 total). It has a lot of stealth, which at times can be challenging to pull off. There's also quite a variety of human enemies to deal with. Besides plague crazed civilians that chase you and alert guards early on, there's a battle with an armored guard that involves destroying his helmet with rock throws while evading him. When the helmet is finally destroyed, he's open for a rock slung at his head.

Later on you get the skill to make a toxin that you sling at armored guard's helmets, which makes them take them off right away. You must however immediately rock sling them, or they will chase you down and kill you. There are also many guards carrying lanterns and torches in areas where torches and braziers are used as lamps. By then you have the skill to make a concoction that extinguishes flames, and also releases rats from underground near torches keeping them there. You also have the skill by then to have Hugo summons rats at them, but only while holding his hand.

There are also big knights in heavy armor that carry big fire maces. Since shortly after extinguishing their mace they can drag it on the ground to make it spark and relight, you need to lure them near freed, unoccupied rats (those already feeding won't respond), before extinguishing their mace.

One of the tougher battles is against Nicholas, a high ranking captain. In this battle you are with Hugo holding his hand. You have to extinguish several braziers and torches. In this battle, Nicholas makes his sword catch fire to easily resist rats. You have to make sure you're hidden from Nicholas' view, or you won't be able to extinguish his sword. Further more, when he gets near braziers he relights them. On top of that, you must successfully extinguish his sword 3 times and summons rats to engulf him before he finally dies, as he somehow relights his sword after the rats engulf him the first two times.

This is said to be just an Action Adventure Stealth game, and it has no difficulty settings, but it does a pretty good job of bordering on survival horror, and it can be challenging enough in many places to have to load checkpoints after dying several times each. However I found many of my deaths to be a matter of not knowing certain things. Like I thought I had to extinguish the maces the big knights carry without being seen by them, but stealth is not necessary in that case.

I highly recommend this game, and it's getting rave reviews. There's also a sequel coming October 18th called A Plague Tale: Requiem. My only slight nit pick is at times the edge of the screen can have a kind of yellow/gold glow to it. I thought it wouldn't be a problem switching back to fullscreen mode after trying borderless. It only lessened, but didn't remove it completely. It's really not enough of a problem to be a deal breaker by any means, and overall the game looks fantastic graphically and performs quite well without bug problems.

I absolutely loved this game, and I loved the final boss fight. I can't wait for the sequel. I'm really happy it's Day One on Game Pass.
Ditto, my thoughts exactly, and I know many others feel the same way. It will be interesting to see as well how tough the enemies will be since Zoe will have a crossbow, the ability to use the extinguishing weapon to stun enemies as well, and the ability to rush enemies with a knife kill. My only curiosity is what upgrades Hugo will get.

One of the things I failed to mention above is how I love that the background music they chose was all period correct orchestral stuff, and even the horror segments were done with creepy orchestral strings music. It really added to the immersion.

BTW, did you have the yellow/gold glow around the edges of the screen at times? I ask because I didn't notice it on Fullscreen until I switched to Borderless, then back to Fullscreen. It's like switching it to Borderless, even though I switched it back, gave it that erratic screen edge problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Ditto, my thoughts exactly, and I know many others feel the same way. It will be interesting to see as well how tough the enemies will be since Zoe will have a crossbow, the ability to use the extinguishing weapon to stun enemies as well, and the ability to rush enemies with a knife kill. My only curiosity is what upgrades Hugo will get.

One of the things I failed to mention above is how I love that the background music they chose was all period correct orchestral stuff, and even the horror segments were done with creepy orchestral strings music. It really added to the immersion.

BTW, did you have the yellow/gold glow around the edges of the screen at times? I ask because I didn't notice it on Fullscreen until I switched to Borderless, then back to Fullscreen. It's like switching it to Borderless, even though I switched it back, gave it that erratic screen edge problem.
I don't remember having a glow around the edges. Maybe I just didn't notice it, but I don't remember it.

As for the crossbow thing, my bet is that you won't begin the game with that. I'm sure it's something you'll earn later in the game.

I don't remember having a glow around the edges. Maybe I just didn't notice it, but I don't remember it.

As for the crossbow thing, my bet is that you won't begin the game with that. I'm sure it's something you'll earn later in the game.
Like I said, I don't recall seeing it in Fullscreen either, until I switched to Borderless. The only thing that bothers me is it seems to have remained even after switching back to Fullscreen. I'll have to look for an ini file to see if I am in fact in Fullscreen mode, but the Graphics menu says I am.

It's hard to tell sometimes from looking at trailers, but the 12 min extended gameplay video of Requiem shows Amicia carrying the crossbow even when Hugo was just pushing her in the swing. It also shows right after that a scene with a search for them and them escaping a chase, which is how Innocence started.

So I'm hopeful we'll have the crossbow from the start. If not I can't imagine more than a few chapters at most without it.

The reason I tried Borderless is some games have smoother performance that way, and I had read some complaints of Innocence having micro stutter, one saying using Borderless and turning off Vsync fixed it. Turned out it was just Vsync, so it's similar to the problem RE Village has.

At any rate though, I started another play through and I've not yet noticed glowing segments around the screen edge. I looked in the config file, which is EngineSettings in Documents/My games/A Plague Tale Innocence. Windowed and Borderless were already set to 0, but I noticed Motion Blur, Depth of Field, and Chromatic Aberration were at 1. Depth of Field is the only one of those adjustable in the Graphics menu, and even that you can only turn to Low, so you may want to edit that file if you don't like those features. After setting them all to 0 in EngineSettings, I also noticed there was a breakdown of all the Post Processing features, including Film Grain, which I set to 0.

It seems rather odd that the performance now is much better, mainly that it mostly stays above 100 FPS, ranging as high as 130, and doesn't dip 20 or so frames when I look around. This is how it tested after adjusted settings my first play through though, but I'm now not sure if it was that the first chapters, which is where I tested, were less optimized or more foliage rich. I'm guessing the latter, because usually these kind of changes don't yield that much better performance. The game does look a tad sharper now though.

I should also note that this play through I have all HUD elements except for climbable object interactive icons and reticule turned off, so it does feel a bit more immersive and challenging. I also plan one more play through with all HUD elements off.

Well, I just finished my 3rd and final playthrough of A Plague Tale Innocence. I played the 2nd run with all HUD elements off save for reticule and climbable objects icons. This last run I did with the HUD completely off and no upgrades on the sling or resource capacity.

For the most part no upgrades and all HUD off went easier than I expected. I hope their next game Requiem, at least has more noticeable differences without upgrades, and maybe a harder mode with more enemies.

This was the only segment I had to retry several times, mostly because I wanted to use only the sling, and not use the knockout potion you can craft. The hardest part was the last two guards that come one right after the other.

By the way, you can't save poor Rodrick, even if you kill every archer.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS