5k Budget Looking for a gaming desktop

May 27, 2020
Visit site
Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as possible

Budget Range: $5000, but I can add more. Dont really have restriction

What will your machine be used for? Starcraft 2, Looking to try latest action games (have too much time after corona). Futures trading software Sierra Chart (sierrachart.com)

Are you buying a monitor: No. I already have LG 24inch 240hz 1080p do you guys know anything better? I want at least 120hz

Parts to Upgrade: Dont really care as long as they are good

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts? Dont really have a preference

Parts Preferences:
Dont really have a preference

Overclocking:
No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe not too sure

Your Monitor Resolution: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200 or if you're upgrading please state what you'd want to get)

I already have LG 24inch 240hz 1080p please let me know if you guys know anything better than this. I want to stay with at least 120hz.

Additional Comments: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC. Please also list specific software or games you're using)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: (e.g. I'm having trouble running game X or my PSU broke)

1. I want a quite setup I already have a 3k worth laptop, but it is way too loud.

Is a desktop with liquid cooling both on CPU and Video card really quite?

2. Does SLI make everything better?

3. Lastly what do you think of this one? I do not know how to build one so I will have to buy one from some builder. Please recommend me a good builder if you guys know anybody.

4. I have a good budget, but I still dont want to get ripped off so I am trying to get help here. Thank you guys in advance!

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
If you have a 5k budget and you have a 1080p monitor, I'd definiately recommend going for a different one. Spending 5000$ on a PC that only runs at 1080p (even if it would be 120 or 240hz) would be overkill.
I'm not sure if I'd recommend a 1440p or a 4k monitor instead. Issue with 4k would be that they don't run at higher than 60hz, whilst 1440p can do at least 144hz.

How long are you willing to wait with the PC? As expected now both nvidia will release new graphics cards and AMD will release new CPU's which are supposed to be much stronger than the hardware they have now.

The current hardware is really good if you don't want to wait, but it might be worth to do.

Also, whilst it looks very complicated and maybe scary to build your own PC it's really not that hard to do, and if you're a bit careful it's fairly hard to mess things up badly. Even the first PC I built pretty much went without issues (I just forgot to turn on the power supply so it looked like my PC didn't work) so I'd defeniately look at doing it yourself if you can get the confidence for it :)

I don't know how heavy Sierra Chart would work on your memory, but otherwise I wouldn't really recommend any of the PC's fromt he link you posted. IMHO they focus on the wrong parts. 4200$ for a PC with an RX5700XT and 64 GB of RAM. Especially since 64GB of RAM is absolutely overkill (32 is alot already) and an RX5700 XT sells for about max $450 on Amazon.

I quickly put in the specs into PCpartpicker which ended up at arround 2900$ total. Couldn't find the case but can hardly imagine that it would be a 1300$ case (including the "custom cables and lightening"). I also wouldn't recommend buying a 700$ motherboard at any time unless you're a diehard PC fan and you really love throwing arround money. As far as I know a 150 to 200$ motherboard will do just as fine.

This PC from Cyberpower is half the price and I'd call it a much better PC. Much more balanced too. When checking out Origin's PC I can assemble a PC that's surely much stronger and it's still $1000 cheaper.

(R9 3950x, 16gb RAM, RTX2080ti, 1tb NVME and you actually know what brand your power supply is)

EDIT: I wouldn't really want to say liquid cooling is more quiet, but it can be. For me the pump surely is more quiet, but if you have the fans on your radiator running at full speed it's not quiet at all.

Also, SLI does not make things better. The amount of games that support SLI is going down. FYI: SLI means putting 2 videocards in a single PC and have them work together.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020
Visit site
If you have a 5k budget and you have a 1080p monitor, I'd definiately recommend going for a different one. Spending 5000$ on a PC that only runs at 1080p (even if it would be 120 or 240hz) would be overkill.
I'm not sure if I'd recommend a 1440p or a 4k monitor instead. Issue with 4k would be that they don't run at higher than 60hz, whilst 1440p can do at least 144hz.

How long are you willing to wait with the PC? As expected now both nvidia will release new graphics cards and AMD will release new CPU's which are supposed to be much stronger than the hardware they have now.

The current hardware is really good if you don't want to wait, but it might be worth to do.

Also, whilst it looks very complicated and maybe scary to build your own PC it's really not that hard to do, and if you're a bit careful it's fairly hard to mess things up badly. Even the first PC I built pretty much went without issues (I just forgot to turn on the power supply so it looked like my PC didn't work) so I'd defeniately look at doing it yourself if you can get the confidence for it

I don't know how heavy Sierra Chart would work on your memory, but otherwise I wouldn't really recommend any of the PC's fromt he link you posted. IMHO they focus on the wrong parts. 4200$ for a PC with an RX5700XT and 64 GB of RAM. Especially since 64GB of RAM is absolutely overkill (32 is alot already) and an RX5700 XT sells for about max $450 on Amazon.

I quickly put in the specs into PCpartpicker which ended up at arround 2900$ total. Couldn't find the case but can hardly imagine that it would be a 1300$ case (including the "custom cables and lightening"). I also wouldn't recommend buying a 700$ motherboard at any time unless you're a diehard PC fan and you really love throwing arround money. As far as I know a 150 to 200$ motherboard will do just as fine.

This PC from Cyberpower is half the price and I'd call it a much better PC. Much more balanced too. When checking out Origin's PC I can assemble a PC that's surely much stronger and it's still $1000 cheaper.

(R9 3950x, 16gb RAM, RTX2080ti, 1tb NVME and you actually know what brand your power supply is)

EDIT: I wouldn't really want to say liquid cooling is more quiet, but it can be. For me the pump surely is more quiet, but if you have the fans on your radiator running at full speed it's not quiet at all.

Also, SLI does not make things better. The amount of games that support SLI is going down. FYI: SLI means putting 2 videocards in a single PC and have them work together.

Thank you I guess I was trying to throw away money for no reason. Any idea how long it will take to get the new version of CPUs?

Any idea how long it will take to get the new version of CPUs?
The ones I think @Inspireless Llama means (Zen 3) won't be before September, with some at least half-credible rumours they will be later than that.

Same with the new GPUs, September for Cyberpunk 2077 is where everyone's money currently is.

AMD are releasing some refreshed versions of their current CPUs very soon though - i.e. slightly faster versions. However, I think we've only seen rumours of the 3900x and 3800x being refreshed. That may come later, or it may not come at all since Intel don't have anything to really compete with it right now.

You might also want to look at upping the RAM to 32gb.

Also the Syber case looks like it will be very bad for airflow - which will make the system hotter and louder (as the fans struggle to get rid of heat inside the system).

I tried making a custom spec in their configurators but it came out a lot more expensive. Their configurators absolutely do my head in - I can't stand them - they're a mess of options, that make you feel like you're drowning while trying to spec a system, so I gave up. Edit: Though I just looked at a couple of other stores and they too were awful so will leave it to others with more patience to suggest specs(!).

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS