3070 2x8pin or 1x8pin/1x8pin

Feb 15, 2021
Visit site
I recently bought a inno3d ichill 3070 x4 and it draws 220w, my power supply is 650w thats the minimum for this card so thats okay but i read that a 8pin connector thet splits to another one gives 150w and the pcie port gives another 75w so thats 225w should i worry about this and buy another psu that can connect 2x 8pin that are seperate cables instead of keeping it like this with 1 cable with a splitter that also 2x8pin

Last edited:
Hi, lets see I'm no electrical engineer but I have some understanding of these things.

You do need to plug them all in. 1 cable with a splitter sounds like it should be fine or there would be more cables. Can you post up the PSU make and model so we can be double sure?

An 8 pin plug provides 150w, and 2x8pin will provide 300W, that should be fine for one cable as long as the PSU supports that much from its own PCI-E port. But dont confuse TDP with actual potential power consumption, they are related but not the same thing. :)

Reactions: Alessio3601
Feb 15, 2021
Visit site
Yeah i know i need to plug them all in just needed to know if i need to use 2 seperate 8pin cables or 1 cable that splits in 2x 8pin (you can see my pc in my profile pic if u enlarge it). And my psu is corsair vs650

From what I can see on your PSU specs it shouldnt be a problem. 3070 isn't too bad on power consumption and the cable and connector should be able to take that amount of power easily. The PSU has a single 12v rail so you wont overload it in that way either.

However if you did have the budget I'd probably get better quality PSU in the future its always worth using a better quality PSU for higher end parts like yours.

Reactions: Alessio3601
Feb 15, 2021
Visit site
From what I can see on your PSU specs it shouldnt be a problem. 3070 isn't too bad on power consumption and the cable and connector should be able to take that amount of power easily. The PSU has a single 12v rail so you wont overload it in that way either.

However if you did have the budget I'd probably get better quality PSU in the future its always worth using a better quality PSU for higher end parts like yours.

Okay bro thanks for helping me out!:) And yeah im def planning to get a better PSU but im upgrading my pc piece by piece so i only need a better PSU and maybe better ram (corsair vengeance 2x8gb 3000mhz c15).
Do you maybe recommend a good PSU?

No worries: :) You could pick something up for around 100 USD thats better then what you have. Its not the worst PSU but to match with a higher end part like a 3070 I'd get something a bit better. Not everyone agrees with that thinking to be fair. Its money that doesnt show a direct benefit.

I'm no real expert on PSU's at all I just happen to know who does the better reviews (Toms Hardware, Techpowerup, Kitguru are 3) and look to them for guidance, never buy a PSU you cant find a review for, usually they only send the good models out.

Having said that these two that reviewed well.

You might find something cheaper that's also good with a bit of digging yourself.

TRENDING THREADS