240Hz monitor requires more?

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hello! By the question in the title I mean: Does a 240Hz monitor (1920x1080) draw more power from the PSU or eat more resources from my PC?

I want to buy a 240Hz 1080p monitor from Alienware and I have an RTX 2070 Super, i7-8700 overclocked to 4 GHz, 16 GB of DDR4 RAM (3000MHz) and a 80+ Silver 700 Watt PSU.

Are these good enough specs for a 240Hz monitor? (I will have that monitor, and the one I'm using now, so dual monitors, the one I use now is a 60Hz, 1920x1080 monitor.)
If that's not possible I will conisder a 144Hz monitor and not this one.
I play a lot of CS:GO and other shooter games and I need a very high refresh rate.

The monitor is powered separately from the rest of the PC - it has a plug of its own - so it doesn't draw more from the PSU.

Note that if your 8700 is really 'overclocked' to 4 GHz, it's effectively underclocked (nerfed performance) because its own boost frequencies would be higher than 4GHz. So are you sure it is 'overclocked' to 4GHz? Also do you mean an 8700 or an 8700k?

Your setup should easily be able to drive CSGO at very high refresh rates on your monitor. And other games too, especially depending on settings used. I assume you play on 'competitive' settings anyway.

In terms of 'eating resources from your PC' that's not really an issue.

The monitor itself doesn't use the PC's resources.

Running games at a higher can increase load on the PC - e.g. if you had FPS capped to 60 and then lift the cap to 240, that would increase the load as you are letting the PC generate more frames per second. However, you were probably running at unconstrained FPS already? In which case the load on your system would be the same.

But even if you do put more load on the system, that's not a problem. Because the components are designed to run at maximum load. It's what they're meant for. 100% load, especially on the GPU, is a generally good thing as long as you're getting performance you are happy with.

Your system should be adequately cooled and ventilated of course. But that should be the case regardless of what monitor you use.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS