Question 144hz or 240hz for my built??

May 13, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone,
i am going to buy a new monitor for my pc pairing with a GTX1060 6GB and AMD RYZEN 5 1600X.
Shall i go for 1080p 144hz or 240hz? is it maybe the 240hz too much for my build? I mostly play games like apex, valorant fortnite and warzone.
Thank you

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I'd recommend a 144hz monitor. I googled for 240hz monitors, and they recommend strong CPU's and GPU's for that. @Others correct me if I'm wrong on this.

For the games you note, you may even be able to go for 1440p at 144hz instead. Gives a slightly better resolution and I think it would be fine, but I'm not entirely sure if you'll always be on 144hz then. Maybe for some games you'd need to turn down quality settings a bit.

Another option would be a 120hz monitor.

Here is a review from PCmag on GPU testing for Apex. The 1060 6gb scores arround 86FPS on medium settings with 1080p.

For 144hz on 1080p they do recommend a Radeon 7 or a RTX2070. I'm not sure if I'd totally agree on that, but it's an indication after all. I never played Apex myself, but I think my RTX2060 would be able to get 100-130 FPS on Apex, so I'd still get a 144hz monitor for myself rather than 60hz.

What monitors are you looking at right now?

May 13, 2020
Visit site
i currently have a 1440p 144hz but i think its too much this resolution for my built.
i am experiencing lots of fps drops and in general low fps even though i play on low settings.
When i change to lower resolotution (1920x1080) game gets better but quality its very bad thats why i decided to buy directly a 1080p monitor

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Ah fair enough. I'd recommend a 144hz monitor for 1080p then. I am not sure if you'll always reach the 144FPS, but I think if you're above 60hz (or over 100) a 144hz probably would be worth it.

For the 90FPS the review stated, you're above 60FPS, so the 144hz monitor would be able to display 90, a 60hz wouldn't display more than 60. Correct me if I'm wrong about this again :)

May 13, 2020
Visit site
ACER KG241QS,
HP OMEN 25,
BENQ ZOWIE XL2411P,
AOC 27G2U/BK

This are the 4 monitors i am checking.
they cost all them around 200e in Europe. All of them are 1920x1080, 144hz and 1ms. The only difference the AOC is the only IPS panel which i have never used beofre but i heard has great image quality and the rest are TN panels

Reactions: Inspireless Llama

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I'll see if I can dive in somewhat deeper tomorrow, my alarm goes of in 6 hours haha.

Shortly, you're looking at anythign between 24" and 27" now?
And generally speaking, IPS monitors do have better colors, but tend to have slower reaction times too. TN panels have more flat out colors, but faster response times. You always could look at VA panels, they score somewhere in between (better colors than TN, not as good as IPS, but better responsetimes than IPS).

What size is your current monitor? 27"? 32"? And does it have adaptive sync / freesync? What model is it?

Also, you're spending 200€ for a new monitor - you could consider just getting a better GPU e.g. RX 5700 XT, subsidised by selling your old GPU.

If you need to save up a bit more first, then just try to put up with gaming at 1080p on a 1440p screen. I've done that once, briefly. It wasn't amazing but I kind of got used to it such that it was playable.

A 1440p monitor is more 'futureproof' for gaming, in that 1080p is a bit entry level now and where image quality is a factor, the extra resolution is a major advantage. In your position, I would find a way to make the monitor work and keep that, rather than trying to fit things to a GPU I will inevitably replace.

In the great majority of games, increasing the resolution puts much more onus on the GPU than the CPU. Therefore, if you are getting CPU-related FPS drops, a lower resolution monitor wouldn't help you anyway. However, you say that you drop the resolution to 1080p, and performance improves a lot. While there are ways you can confirm that, it's very likely you just need a new GPU, not a whole new system.

May 13, 2020
Visit site
Hey, i have the AOC Agon AG241QX which is actually a really good monitor. sounds nice upgrading my gpu.
you think rx5700xt will match with my current built?
16gb 2600mhz
amd ryzen 1500x
mobo:asus rog strix b350-f gaming
550watt
thank you

In general, an RX 5700 XT would provide vastly better performance at 1440p than your current GPU does at 1080p.

And seems to give good framerates in Apex Legends specifically:

And your CPU shouldn't be an issue going by DSOgaming's findings:

What is the make and model of your PSU? E.g. Corsair TXm 550w (?)

And what is the model of your case?

Germany tends to have decent hardware prices for the European mainland I think - often better than France from what I've seen anyway.

The 5700 XT Red Dragon is a decent model and is about 400€

or a Sapphire one for a little more.

It may have free games bundled too but I don't speak anywhere near enough German to know if that offer is still applicable. May also apply to 5700s.

There are a few RX 5700 (not XT) for ~320-330€, e.g.

The 5700 is better value, in that it gives you more performance per €, but you may want to spend a little extra for the 5700 XT and the 10-15% extra performance. Either would be a nice upgrade, and either would give more performance at 1440p than your 1060 gives at 1080 usually by quite a lot.

TRENDING THREADS