1000 hours of gaming.

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Easier to take off the stickers... or take it apart, they used to be easy... now you can pay silly amounts for custom ones, or am I thinking of Yoyos... probably both.

Yep, both

all the things we played as kids are sports now

Some hobbies make me wonder how I missed them

Massive hours are pretty easy to get in MMO's because there's a lot of socializing going on. It's partly about playing the game, but it's also about seeing your online friends. (How many hours have we spent chatting on these boards?)

I forgot that. It's a fact my brain just can't deal with. DD is a single player game! (Well, there's one dragon that's a combined effort, but you don't see the other players so socializing isn't part of the deal.)
I just looked it up, and it takes about 34.5 hours to beat Dragon's Dogma, yet he's spent 25k hours in it. He says he's restarted the game a ton of times, and he just keeps going back and trying to play it different ways. I think he's only beat it a handful of times. He's usually trying to explore and find things that most people don't find.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
So that's the first question, how many games have you played for 1000hours(6 weeks straight)?

None. Probably the closest one is Hearthstone. As we know, Battle.net for unknown for me reasons doesn't offer playtime tracking. I'm pretty sure however that I've spent a few hundreds of hours in this game. It may be even close to 1000. And all this without spending real money. :)

On Steam playtime counter shows that I've spent most time in Fallout: New Vegas (nearly 250 hours). The Witcher 3 is probably close to this result, but I can't say how close because my first playthrough was on an offline installer from GOG.

Oh god. Counter Strike, DOD, Tour of Duty, Movie Battles 2, Revolt, Cod 1 and 2, Battlefield 1942 and Desert combat, Battlefield 2, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory has gotta be close, Left 4 Dead series about 5000 hours combined, Skyrim, Oblivion, Dark Soul series *750 in the third one* Fallout 3/nv and 4 each 1000, maybe Fortnite, Diablo 1, 2 and 3, Deep Rock is only at 750, Tekken 3, NHL 94, Mutant League Football, Street Fighter 2, Madden 2006, old Team Fortress, Dead Island, Summer Games 1 and 2 and Winter games. I think that's it.

:unsure:

So that's the first question, how many games have you played for 1000hours(6 weeks straight)?
I've played many games for 6 weeks straight, or even longer, but I've never hit 1000 hours within that time span. I should also clarify that "6 weeks straight" (or more) for me isn't every single day, as some days I either need or want to do something else. And those games that I do break that 1000-hour mark, is done over the course of several years.

That 1000-hour mark in a game is hard for me to quantify in many of the games I've played, as I've been playing since the mid-1980s long before digital distribution became the standard. Older games like the Ultima series, Baldur's Gate series, the older Elder Scrolls games, as well as the original Deus Ex could easily be over 1000 hours, but I'll never know. In the past 15 years or so, I began to get digital versions of many of those older games (as I just refuse to install a game from any type of disk nowadays), but the "hours played" that Steam shows just doesn't reflect the hours I've actually played.

There are a couple of games that I've played only on Steam that have broken the 1000-hour mark, such as Skyrim (original version) and Skyrim SE combined hours are around 2700 hrs, and Fallout 4 is at around 2500 hrs. Being open world games, and heavily modded, I can easily spend 300 hours or so on a single run, though I don't always finish each run, as sometimes my brain just fuzzes-out and I need to move on to another game. I get immersed and enjoy my time there but finishing the main story line is never my priority.

Are PC games too expensive?
I'm 100 percent against the dollars/hour method of determining if a game was worth it. It's really an dumb way of looking at it.
@ZedClampet my question about, 'are they too expensive?' wasn't serious. It's just a lot of people on Steam forums complain about prices of games and profit making game companies.
DPH (dollars per hour) as a way of "judging" a game's personal value has never made cents sense to me. It's all about my immersion level in a game and how much I'm enjoying the various elements a game provides. A game that takes me 300 hours to complete, might only take another player only 40 hours. There's just no way to quantify the DPH for any given game. I have no problem paying 60-70 dollars for a new game like Starfield or Baldur's Gate 3, because I know I'll be completely immersed in the game world.

Other games I might watch for a while, read some reviews, or even wait for a sale, but in general, I don't think game prices are out of line with the costs we pay for everything else in our lives. Game developers do have to make a profit, especially indie developers, if they're to stay in business. I also agree that as @ipman stated, there tends to be a lot of complaining in certain Steam Discussions about the cost of a game.

I've played many games for 6 weeks straight, or even longer, but I've never hit 1000 hours within that time span. I should also clarify that "6 weeks straight" (or more) for me isn't every single day, as some days I either need or want to do something else. And those games that I do break that 1000-hour mark, is done over the course of several years.

That 1000-hour mark in a game is hard for me to quantify in many of the games I've played, as I've been playing since the mid-1980s long before digital distribution became the standard. Older games like the Ultima series, Baldur's Gate series, the older Elder Scrolls games, as well as the original Deus Ex could easily be over 1000 hours, but I'll never know. In the past 15 years or so, I began to get digital versions of many of those older games (as I just refuse to install a game from any type of disk nowadays), but the "hours played" that Steam shows just doesn't reflect the hours I've actually played.

There are a couple of games that I've played only on Steam that have broken the 1000-hour mark, such as Skyrim (original version) and Skyrim SE combined hours are around 2700 hrs, and Fallout 4 is at around 2500 hrs. Being open world games, and heavily modded, I can easily spend 300 hours or so on a single run, though I don't always finish each run, as sometimes my brain just fuzzes-out and I need to move on to another game. I get immersed and enjoy my time there but finishing the main story line is never my priority.

DPH (dollars per hour) as a way of "judging" a game's personal value has never made cents sense to me. It's all about my immersion level in a game and how much I'm enjoying the various elements a game provides. A game that takes me 300 hours to complete, might only take another player only 40 hours. There's just no way to quantify the DPH for any given game. I have no problem paying 60-70 dollars for a new game like Starfield or Baldur's Gate 3, because I know I'll be completely immersed in the game world.

Other games I might watch for a while, read some reviews, or even wait for a sale, but in general, I don't think game prices are out of line with the costs we pay for everything else in our lives. Game developers do have to make a profit, especially indie developers, if they're to stay in business. I also agree that as @ipman stated, there tends to be a lot of complaining in certain Steam Discussions about the cost of a game.
You should create an "Essential Skyrim Mods" thread and one for Fallout 4.
Or not. Only if it's fun to do.

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
You should create an "Essential Skyrim Mods" thread and one for Fallout 4.
Or not. Only if it's fun to do.
You know, I've thought about it, but players tastes in mods and focus in the types of mods they like, varies greatly, so I don't know if it would just end up being my personal blah-blah-blah, or actually useful. PCG also usually does the occasional article on "best Skyrim mods", though I don't always agree with all the choices (though it's been a while since I've seen one for FO4).

I have, however, been thinking of replaying FONV with a new mod set after finishing up Wasteland 3, and if it's a solid mod list (no CTDs and such), I might make a "mod collection" on the Nexus. That feature is still in beta, and a lot of those collections (for many games), are way over the top in my opinion, but it's a nice feature that offers an easy way to mod a game. Not quite "one click" installation, but much more streamlined than installing each mod individually. If I end up doing that, then I'll make a post for sure, and we'll see if there's any interest.

Oh god. Counter Strike, DOD, Tour of Duty, Movie Battles 2, Revolt, Cod 1 and 2, Battlefield 1942 and Desert combat, Battlefield 2, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory has gotta be close, Left 4 Dead series about 5000 hours combined, Skyrim, Oblivion, Dark Soul series *750 in the third one* Fallout 3/nv and 4 each 1000, maybe Fortnite, Diablo 1, 2 and 3, Deep Rock is only at 750, Tekken 3, NHL 94, Mutant League Football, Street Fighter 2, Madden 2006, old Team Fortress, Dead Island, Summer Games 1 and 2 and Winter games. I think that's it.

:unsure:
How in the world do you have that much time to play games?

I could be wrong, but I think he was being literal when he said 6 weeks straight. 1000 hours is almost 6 weeks non-stop, 24 hours a day.

Reactions: Pifanjr
You know, I've thought about it, but players tastes in mods and focus in the types of mods they like, varies greatly, so I don't know if it would just end up being my personal blah-blah-blah, or actually useful. PCG also usually does the occasional article on "best Skyrim mods", though I don't always agree with all the choices (though it's been a while since I've seen one for FO4).

I have, however, been thinking of replaying FONV with a new mod set after finishing up Wasteland 3, and if it's a solid mod list (no CTDs and such), I might make a "mod collection" on the Nexus. That feature is still in beta, and a lot of those collections (for many games), are way over the top in my opinion, but it's a nice feature that offers an easy way to mod a game. Not quite "one click" installation, but much more streamlined than installing each mod individually. If I end up doing that, then I'll make a post for sure, and we'll see if there's any interest.
I'm too picky to use mod packs, but my son uses them. A lot of mod packs are just a bunch of mods. There's no rhyme or reason to them. It's a great feature for other people. I just tend to find them too disjointed and wide ranging.

@WoodenSaucer I got hurt at work 20 years ago trying to be Superman saving someone. Messed up my back and neck and tons of other stuff. I can be awake sometimes anywhere from 24 to 72 hours and sometimes only get like 2 hours of sleep. Leaves a lot of time to play games and take up photography and I mean lots of time. My av is one of my photos. Btw it's eating a bird.
Sorry that happened to you!

@WoodenSaucer I got hurt at work 20 years ago trying to be Superman saving someone. Messed up my back and neck and tons of other stuff. I can be awake sometimes anywhere from 24 to 72 hours and sometimes only get like 2 hours of sleep. Leaves a lot of time to play games and take up photography and I mean lots of time. My av is one of my photos. Btw it's eating a bird.
I had open heart surgery a few years ago, so knew I was going to be laid up for a while. I bought wireless mouse , keyboard, so I could keep occupied while lying in bed. Actually it was the getting out of bed that was the problem.

I must make sure if I have to go into hospital again that I take a good gaming laptop, It's so boring in hospital even for a few days.

But of course gaming is a great distraction when you're injured. I actually forget about my body(if feeling some pain) when I project myself into game and fully concentrate on that. The dopermine hit probably helps as well.

@mainer interesting that Deux Ex hooked you. I bought the set but just couldn't get into it.

I think some devs want us to play the game, the missions, but they also say here's an open world game use your creativity and see what's possible. I do try to find new ways of using what's in the game.

I think what modders came up with for Skyrim changed that game. Allowing gamers some ways of that sort of involvment in it's development is great for gaming. Didn't SE incorporate many modders ideas?

And there's many other games I still play like Sniper Elite V2, Steep, HZD, RD2, but for much less hours, but enjoy just as much.

Sorry to hear about that. Apparently you and I have several things in common. I didn't try to save someone, though. I just have a degenerative disease.

Reactions: Pifanjr
I could be wrong, but I think he was being literal when he said 6 weeks straight. 1000 hours is almost 6 weeks non-stop, 24 hours a day.
Possibly, or perhaps that "6 weeks" was just a generalization rather than a specific time frame (perhaps @ipman could clarify?). Because if you look at it, there are 42 days in six weeks, and with each day consisting of 24 hours, that puts total hours at 1008 for a 6-week time frame. I don't think it's possible for any human gamer to hit the 1000-hour mark in a game within that 1008-hour time span.

10,000 hours? Lol. I can't even imagine playing a game for 1,000 hours. Although like I've mentioned before, the most I've seen someone play one game is my friend on another forum who has 25,000 hours in Dragon's Dogma.
lol, I haven't played anything close to 200hours, and I really can't tell if I'm the kind of person who can actually sink 1,000 hours into a game. 🤯😲

Possibly, or perhaps that "6 weeks" was just a generalization rather than a specific time frame (perhaps @ipman could clarify?). Because if you look at it, there are 42 days in six weeks, and with each day consisting of 24 hours, that puts total hours at 1008 for a 6-week time frame. I don't think it's possible for any human gamer to hit the 1000-hour mark in a game within that 1008-hour time span.
Maybe he'll come back and clear it up. But I went back and looked at that first post, and I believe he was making a point that 1000 hours is like playing 6 weeks straight through, 24 hours a day. That's what it seems like to me, anyway. And seeing how 6 weeks is really close to 1000 hours, I'd bet on it.

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
I was just trying to put 1000 hours into some perspective, Playing with numbers. 6 weeks straight would be insane.

Remember when there was all that backlash when a gamer went on a shooting spree and it turned out he had been gaming continuously for weeks and had lost touch with reality. His mind had switched, it'll be a recognised mental disorder.

I can only play a certain amount of time a day, I know when I've had enough and it does use a lot of mental energy and concentration.

I find that idea that a game can be beat in *** hours to be a bit weird. To me it's more about exploring a virtual world with it's own distinct set of rules, created in the minds of the dev team.

i have played games for about that amount of time in a row but sleep was involved as well. Age of Conan I spent weeks on end in game. I didn't have anything else to do. Some days I have been known to play 24 hours, and curse at sun for coming up as it means I should go to sleep... Same thing has happened with Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3. I only stop if told to.

I realised he didn't mean it as constant. He isn't trying to kill us.... yet

TRENDING THREADS