You've been selected to participate in a critical space mission.

The trip is 12 light years there and back, but thanks to advances in propulsion, you'll be traveling at near the speed of light, so the trip will only seem like 6 years to you due to relativity. That's still a long time, and you'll be by yourself (your psychological profile indicates you can handle it), so the Combined International Space Agency (CISA) has determined that you can download any 5 PC games to amuse yourself during the trip. You are allowed as many DLC and mods as you like, but mission psychologists are requiring that the rest of the drive space be used for for other things, like music and movies, that will help keep you sane during your long mission (Don't argue with the setup. It's the best I could do without thinking harder).

Assume that any game you choose will be 100 percent complete, including planned DLC and mods, at the time of launch, and that you haven't played them before (just so that you would be getting the first time experience as opposed to already being near sick-to-death of the game).

So what 5 PC games are you taking with you?

1) Forza Horizon 5. The game never gets old to me, and since you can create your own races (complete with new roads, decorations, etc), I could put near endless time into it.

2) Total War Warhammer 3: This includes all the DLC from the first two games as well. There's just so much content that the game is extremely replayable.

3) Warframe: Lots of carrots on lots of sticks in this game. It's literally designed to be played forever.

4) Satisfactory: Open world/sandbox/automation/base building. I need to have at least one game like this.

5) Planet Coaster: Had a hard time picking the final one, but this game allows you to build anything you can imagine and has thousands upon thousands of mods for great replayability.

1) A Tetris game. I'm trying to think of games I can pass the time with that I'll be happy to come back to and improve my high score.

2) GTA 4. I prefer this one to 5. I can always muck around or try to complete it 100% if I get bored of quests.

3) Civ 4. Another game with good replay value. Again, my favourite Civ so far.

4) Tekken 7. It's a game I've always wanted to get really good at but the skill curve has made me wimp out. 6 years may make me focus more.

5) I think I'll also go for Total War: Warhammer 3. Having an RTS would add to variety and, though I haven't played this before, it looks really good.

Also, if we had an internet connection I'd probably put a few live service games in instead like Halo or Hearthstone as they'd provide more long term interest whilst I'm alone for 6 years.

If the problem is disk space, then limiting it to 5 is...

(Don't argue with the setup. It's the best I could do without thinking harder).

...fine

you haven't played them before (just so that you would be getting the first time experience as opposed to already being near sick-to-death of the game).

I see you immediately ignored this part of the description yourself, so I will too. It doesn't make sense to me to be forced to pick unknown games over games you know you enjoy anyway. Or did you mean my memory of the game would be wiped? Because I don't think that would be necessary.

So what 5 PC games are you taking with you?

Considering you can take all mods with you, it makes sense to focus on games with a good selection of mods, especially complete overhauls.

1. Skyrim. The insane amount of mods might actually already be enough to keep me busy for 6 years.

2. Total War: Warhammer 3. I think Warhammer 2 is the only game ever I've played almost exclusively for two years straight. I don't think any other game has even gotten close to keeping my attention for that long. Part of that is that I didn't have much time to play it during those two years, but that also means I have only played a small portion of the available content. The only problem is that I haven't really liked the Realm of Chaos campaign nearly as much as the Vortex campaign from Warhammer 2 and I don't really like the aimlessness of the Immortal Empires map, but I suspect both DLC and mods will improve this.

3. Stellaris. I haven't played much of Stellaris, but I think it's the Paradox game with the most replayability, especially with mods.

4. If I'm allowed to choose a game that hasn't been released yet, but will this year, I'd pick Starfield. Otherwise, I'd have to pick between Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4. I haven't played Fallout 4 yet and have read some criticism that makes me doubt whether I would like it as much as Fallout: New Vegas, yet I think I would pick it anyway in the assumption that mods will fix any problems I could have with the game.

5. Minecraft. Another game with an uncountable amount of mods. And while I'm usually not very interested in the creative aspect, it might be nice to have a persistent world to build in, off and on again, over the course of those 6 years.

I considered adding Civilization V as one of my choices, but ultimately decided against it. While it has a ton of mods as well, I rarely ever actually finish a game.

Fun question!

1. World of Warcraft. I've never played it so i think 6 years would give me enough time to catch up on most stuff so i could be caught up somewhat when i came back
2. Destiny. No, not 2, the first one. I never played it and i have been playing Destiny 2 religiously since a month or two after it released so i owe it to the franchise, Lots of DLC for that game too, plus raids (im gonna inject that the raids could be played with bots so i could do them :) )
3. Destiny 2. I mean come on you knew it was coming
4. Mortal Kombat Collection. Not the collections that are out, just all mortal kombats together (please accept this as 1 game :) )
5. Skyrim Need at least 1 game that has a zillion mods for so here it is. I've always wanted to complete the overhaul mods like Enderal but just never went back, so this would be a good time to do that.

♣ Civ4
My main game for ~5 years, so tailor made for this trip.

♦ Command & Conquer: Generals
I prefer it to the other 2 better-known series because:
3 factions rather than 2, with good differences between them;
Veterancy mechanic rewards minding units;
More freedom in building placement.
Between the Generals Challenge in Zero Hour and the Skirmish mode in it and the base game, that would have good legs.

♥ Civ6
Significantly different to Civ4, with lots to new strategies and tactics to learn to git gud.

♠ Skyrim
I'd want one universally acclaimed game I haven't played, which has years of play in it—at worst I should be able to dip in and out of it regularly.

♣ Royal Envoy series
This would be my Solitaire replacement—far more interesting, but still only 10-20 minutes per level. There's no way I could stick with 'heavy' games all the time.

that will help keep you sane
Well, too late for that part.

But based on CISA criteria that I can use all available game mods (also assuming that I'm launching today and won't have access to projected 2023 game releases) these would be my choices, listed in order of priority:

1- Skyrim: (I love it that so many people are picking a 12-year-old game). With mods, Skyrim is the most versatile game ever made. There are so many ways to play it, that no playthrough will ever be the same. This game alone could easily consume 3 years of that 6 year journey.

2- Fallout 4: Many gamers say that FO4 is not a "true" Fallout game, or that the game is more of a "shooter" than an RPG, but I love this game. The RPG elements, such as the skill system, may be a bit shallow, but the overall story and characters were great for me, and the settlement building system, with mods, was just fantastic. A modded Skyrim & FO4 could easily consume that 6 year journey.

3- Mass Effect Legendary: Three great RPGs (plus all DLCs) in one package, the characters and story never get old for me.

4- The Witcher 3: A remarkable RPG that veers from the formula of choices being "good or evil" and more of having to make choices that are neither, just choices based on your own moral compass. Great characters, interactions, exploration, and combat.

5- Baldur's Gate 2: For my CRPG fix, there is no better game than BG2, with it's in-depth storyline, complex characters, choices, and conversations. It's still atop the genre after all these years.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
♦ Command & Conquer: Generals
I prefer it to the other 2 better-known series because:
3 factions rather than 2, with good differences between them;
Veterancy mechanic rewards minding units;
More freedom in building placement.
Between the Generals Challenge in Zero Hour and the Skirmish mode in it and the base game, that would have good legs.

Ooh, I loved Generals when I was growing up. It’s still my favorite RTS (granted I don’t play many).

1) Rainbow Six Siege:
Never gets old for me. There’s always new tactics and things to try. I think it’s my most played game of all time actually.

2) Arma 3:
Haven’t played too much but there’s just so much to do. Between dlc, mods, and a map editor I think I’d be occupied for quite a while.

3) CS:GO:
Maybe in 6 years I can get out of silver

4) Park Beyond:
Not out yet but it looks like something I’d enjoy for a while.

5) Garry’s Mod
Tons of workshop mods and tools for all sorts of creativity (machinama, levels, etc.)

I love it that so many people are picking a 12-year-old game
Pfft, that's nuttin! I've got a 20yo, 18yo, and 2 x 12yos in my list—newest is a sprightly 7yo :D

FO4 is not a "true" Fallout game, or that the game is more of a "shooter" than an RPG, but I love this game. The RPG elements, such as the skill system, may be a bit shallow
Hmm interesting. So you're saying it's not as mind-numbingly boring and excruciatingly annoying as ALL standard RPGs are? Well dang, just checked—I have 5 FO games, but not FO4 :(

H3ozno2.png

If the problem is disk space, then limiting it to 5 is...

...fine

I see you immediately ignored this part of the description yourself, so I will too. It doesn't make sense to me to be forced to pick unknown games over games you know you enjoy anyway. Or did you mean my memory of the game would be wiped? Because I don't think that would be necessary.

Considering you can take all mods with you, it makes sense to focus on games with a good selection of mods, especially complete overhauls.

1. Skyrim. The insane amount of mods might actually already be enough to keep me busy for 6 years.

2. Total War: Warhammer 3. I think Warhammer 2 is the only game ever I've played almost exclusively for two years straight. I don't think any other game has even gotten close to keeping my attention for that long. Part of that is that I didn't have much time to play it during those two years, but that also means I have only played a small portion of the available content. The only problem is that I haven't really liked the Realm of Chaos campaign nearly as much as the Vortex campaign from Warhammer 2 and I don't really like the aimlessness of the Immortal Empires map, but I suspect both DLC and mods will improve this.

3. Stellaris. I haven't played much of Stellaris, but I think it's the Paradox game with the most replayability, especially with mods.

4. If I'm allowed to choose a game that hasn't been released yet, but will this year, I'd pick Starfield. Otherwise, I'd have to pick between Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4. I haven't played Fallout 4 yet and have read some criticism that makes me doubt whether I would like it as much as Fallout: New Vegas, yet I think I would pick it anyway in the assumption that mods will fix any problems I could have with the game.

5. Minecraft. Another game with an uncountable amount of mods. And while I'm usually not very interested in the creative aspect, it might be nice to have a persistent world to build in, off and on again, over the course of those 6 years.

I considered adding Civilization V as one of my choices, but ultimately decided against it. While it has a ton of mods as well, I rarely ever actually finish a game.
Good picks. And I didn't mean that you had to pick games you've never played before. I meant that in the scenario that you hadn't played them before. The point of that was, for instance, Warframe, which I can't stand anymore, but which I was absolutely in love with for a couple of years.

Zloth

Community Contributor
3) CS:GO:
Maybe in 6 years I can get out of silver
That's going to be difficult when your ping time gets measured in years. ;)

1. X4: Foundations. Give me all the tools so I can make mods to the game, too. It's huge enough that, even without being locked into a space capsule, I can play it for the better part of a year.

2. Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children. Yet another huge game with a huge replayability factor.

3. Solista. Again, make sure I have all the mod tools I could use and access to the many, many mods that will be available already.

4. Dwarf Fortress. I'm taking a big risk with that one, as I'm not sure if I'll really like it much. If I do, though, it will burn some serious hours.

5. If we can do MMOs then EVE. (If it dies mid-trip, switch to Star Citizen.) If we can't do MMOs, let's see... I need something to keep my reflexes up at least a little, but single player 1st person shooters get dull way too quick. Oh! Good point @Alm! Dead or Alive 5 with its jillions of mods.

Great thead!

1. Cities Skylines 2 for sure. The first game has given me a lot of hours of entertainment, and I have zero doubts that the sequel will do the same.

2. Terraria. I've played this for about 8 years, and it never gets old.

3. Rocksmith. What's a better time to learn how to play guitar. Game has plenty of mods and DLCs, and that doesn't hurt either.

4. Eastside Hockey Manager. This is my most played game on Steam

5. The Witcher 3. My all time favorite game.

You know, if i was with my son on this trip, this would make it to my list.He grew up on that game and would for sure be on his list. It is a fun game plus the developers are pretty active with their community.

If my wife and daughter would be coming too, my list would be:

1. Skyrim. I think my wife has more hours in Skyrim than I do.

2. Civilization V. Another of my wife's favourite games and one we can do together.

3. Minecraft. My daughter couldn't quite figure out the first person controls last time she tried, but she'd have 6 years to practice and we can play it together.

4. Stardew Valley. One of my daughter's favourite games and my wife and I recently started playing it again too. Another good game to play together and we haven't tried any of the mods yet.

5. World of Warcraft. My wife has been hyperfocusing on this for months now, she even made a character for our daughter (she likes flying on the Griffins and sailing on the boats). Even if we could only play on a private server, just going through the campaign of each expansion should give us quite a decent amount of content to enjoy.

I asked my wife what she would pick, assuming we all went together, and she chose:
1.) Wow
2.) Total war warhammer for you
3.) Cities skylines
4.) Stardew Valley
5.) All of elder scrolls :p

I asked why not Civilization V and she said "[daughter] doesn't like it and you just Moai"...

You build your entire coastline full of Moai statues once and they never let you live it down.

Okay, I might have done it twice more, but only because I kept getting mocked for it. And it actually worked out really well in one of those games, I think I was like one or two turns short of winning when our friend won the game.

1. Alien Breed, cause we all know how that trip is going to end. At least while playing it I'll get accustomed to the fact I'm going to be saying "Kill me" pretty soon.

2. Morrowind - One of the best games I have ever played and one I would treasure having on board.

3. Grim Dawn - I just bought the DLCs for a nice discount on Steam, so it would be a perfect ARPG to enjoy.

4. Tetris® Effect: Connected - I want to be able to lie down on a sofa, put the headset on, and play something really relaxing with a lot of colors.

5. The upcoming Cities: Skylines II because I have not played that genre much and would like something different.

I keep overthinking this, so maybe I'll just go with the first ones I come up with.

1. Battle Brothers is a relatively simple game on the surface, but its tough and 500 odd hours in I still havent beaten all of the content on the medium difficulty. If I had all day everyday for 6 years I could get right into it.

2. Crusader Kings 3 with all (including unreleased) DLC. You can start as any king or petty lord in the world and spend dozens of hours getting to the end of each game. I might even try some roleplaying silliness, like eating the Pope or something

3. Escape From Tarkov. Never played it, but as we have excellent space internet and I need both a shooter and an MMO here I'd love to have all the time to learn a game like this.

4. Football Manager 2023. When I was a kid I used to spend whole days in Football Manager games, I love all the stats and game management, trying different tactics etc. Give 6 years of time alone, I can see myself getting really into something like this again.

5 Total War Warhammer 3. I played a lot of Warhammer 1 and 2 but I havent dipped into 3 yet. The amount of factions you can play in the normal campaigns, plus every faction from every other game included in the Immortal Empires campaign. On top of that the multiplayer quick battles took up as much of my time as playing the campaigns did or more in the first two games, so I think there'd be a lot of mileage there too.

Last edited:
Hmm interesting. So you're saying it's not as mind-numbingly boring and excruciatingly annoying as ALL standard RPGs are? Well dang, just checked—I have 5 FO games, but not FO4 :(
I guess it's all a matter of personal perspective and the types of games we like. I've never considered "all standard RPGs as being mind-numbingly boring or excruciatingly annoying". And I don't think there exists a "standard RPG", there's just too many variables in how they're made and played.

What hooked me on FO4, as opposed to the other Fallouts, was the settlement & home building system, which was good even in the base game, but add in the DLCs & mods, and that part is a game all by itself.

Question: Of all those Fallout games you own, how many have you played?

all standard RPGs
Oh don't mind me, just poking at the RPG-heavy active membership we have here—secretly jealous of all the fun you lot have :)

Of all those Fallout games you own, how many have you played?
That's easy—zero.

I haven't cleared my Steam backlog yet, so GOG and Epic are still a while away. That said, those purchases were probably more of a collector's bargain grab on GOG and freebies on Epic than any 'Oh I'm gonna play these'—when I was more flush, I used to buy games just to support good devs… eg I have Witcher games I'll never play, just as a 'thank you' for the GOG service.

TRENDING THREADS