Your PC - Your Last Funny / Dumb Moment

Feb 5, 2020
Visit site
Two days ago I bought a used DVD drive to install some old Windows 98 era games, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my DVD drive wasn't showing up in Windows, let alone the BIOS. Turns out I didn't plug in the sata cable :LOL:

We've all had one of those moments, please share your story!

I have the habit of pressing the CTRL when scrolling up/down on forums. The first time it happened I had no idea what was going on and was so irritated when the letters were changing size. After some time I noticed my right hand resting on the key...

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Old story but I am sure it happened to lotta people

> Build new PC, by yourself
> Connect everything, double check motherboard's manual to make sure the pins are are connected in the right way
> sweat intensely as you try booting up your machine and nothing happens
> chaotically look around the case, trying to spot if you messed something up
> nearly cry
> realize you didn't press the "on" button on PSU

Reactions: Zoid and Frindis
Jan 20, 2020
Visit site
The sound not working properly in-game so I went through the hassle of restarting the game, restarting the PC, virus checks, reinstalling the game, reinstalling sound drivers...nothing was working?

So what was the cause? I somehow had the game muted on the Volume Mixer ffs...
🤦‍♂️

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Old story but I am sure it happened to lotta people

> Build new PC, by yourself
> Connect everything, double check motherboard's manual to make sure the pins are are connected in the right way
> sweat intensely as you try booting up your machine and nothing happens
> chaotically look around the case, trying to spot if you messed something up
> nearly cry

About the same as this, except that I forgot to check if my motherboard powercable was properly plugged in. So I turned on my PSU and nothing happened. Checked everything, nothing happened until I randomly decided to press my 24 pins and then it turned on. I was so relieved.

Also when installing an HDD from an old PC I accidentally plugged the cable from the HDD that was already in place. I was so confused when it pretty much booted up my old PC and the newer stuff wasn't even arround. Took a while before I realized I pulled that sata cable out.

Reactions: OsaX Nymloth

Zoid

Community Contributor
Doing something inside the PC, thinking I've bricked it, realising I didn't flip the switch on the PSU back to On. More or less every time I do something inside the PC.
Same here. Every single time. I press the power button on my case, nothing happens, I enjoy a moment of paralyzing panic, and then remember I have to flip my PSU switch back on.

Not my last, but certainly my best and definitely dumb. From a couple of years ago when PCG asked about PC building horror stories this was my offering. At the time it was no laughing matter , but now, of course, it's great to tell at parties.

My very first PC was a 486 DX2/66 and it was housed in a case that was so heavy and thick it could possibly have withstood a nuclear blast. One day I'm on the floor with the system digging into its guts for one reason or another. I can't remember exactly what it was I was doing but it was pretty challenging to get something in or out of the case and it caused the heavy case to start to tip over.
I stuck out my leg to catch it before it fell, and the inside corner of the case caught my knee. I was wearing jeans that had holes in the knees so the metal part caught bare skin and some sharp edge dug in and made a nice gash across my knee requiring 11 stitches.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS