Your must need gaming accessory

May 13, 2024
Visit site
So what is your must have for your gaming needs? It can be anything that isn't necessarily required for running/playing the game.

For me, I'm a bit of an audio nut and I have to have a good multi-channel audio system. Headphones won't cut it for me. I started off small 15 or so years ago, and eventually assembled an 11-channel Atmos/DTS:X/Auro 3D setup with external amplification and multiple subwoofers, all built around a desk (which is also my dedicated home office work space).

There is no better way to experience Resident Evil 2 Remake with the lights out, and Mr. X chasing you with his footsteps echoing all around you and hitting you in the chest. It's a pretty crazy experience when you can hear him walking above you and down the stairway, and then down the hallway from where you are. Which incidentally, the RE remake games support Dolby Atmos. But regardless, the Auro3D umpixer does an excellent job with spatial audio that object encoding audio isn't a requirement.

I also have to have a HDR capable monitor and at least 120 Hz, preferably an OLED, and GSync enabled.

I used to be a sucker for pc gadgets but not anymore

I got a drawing tablet that drew lines as thick as your finger.

I had a usb microscope and it was ok to view items but if you pressed take photos it just ran none stop till it crashed.

I took a few " faulty " games discs back and was always told if they work on our machine its you thats got a problem not the software.

On one occassion i made the mistake of telling the shop owner how to crash out of the menu and then get back in so i could run the game ... he just said ... well at least you found a way.

My last shop bought pc had a faulty mobo but the shop said it was ok , when i got back off holiday a freelance engineer had left a message to say he had a new mobo and g card waiting for me ???

I have not set foot in any pc related shops for 7 years and dont plan to.

I invested in a closed Bluetooth headset - Philips ANC H8506. The sound is decent enough, ok bass, but the main thing is that the headset is extremely good at removing outside noise. I also invested some years back in a SoundBlaster Katana V2 soundbar and that thing has been very good for its price. The bass is top-notch (own unit) and the soundbar itself makes ambient sounds in games stand out. You can switch between different sound profiles which I like. Also has Bluetooth, USB for own music, and LED lights under the soundbar. Overall probably the best soundbar you can get for its price and it is also built like a tank.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I have any must haves that aren't actually must haves for me, like my magnifying glass, my USB dock, and my ottoman so my ankles don't swell to the size of basketballs. I have a DAC for my headphones (I can't use speakers. It would drive my wife insane), but I don't consider it a "must have".

Oh, wait. I use a half keyboard off to the side. That's something I won't play without.

May 13, 2024
Visit site
I invested in a closed Bluetooth headset - Philips ANC H8506. The sound is decent enough, ok bass, but the main thing is that the headset is extremely good at removing outside noise. I also invested some years back in a SoundBlaster Katana V2 soundbar and that thing has been very good for its price. The bass is top-notch (own unit) and the soundbar itself makes ambient sounds in games stand out. You can switch between different sound profiles which I like. Also has Bluetooth, USB for own music, and LED lights under the soundbar. Overall probably the best soundbar you can get for its price and it is also built like a tank.

I invested in a sound bar as well. I don't always want to turn my system on, but I still want some decent sound so the sound bar fills that purpose.

Some of these sound bars today have interesting tech, like the ones that can do surround and Atmos without rear or overhead speakers. While Samsung isn't exactly a brand I would consider noteworthy for audio, I listened to one of their Atmos sound bars that did not have any other speakers, and the surround/overhead imaging was amazing. Of course, it does require specific conditions to work properly.

May 13, 2024
Visit site
Climbing down from the heights of ears to the lowlands ad Netherlands, my top 2 are a good wrist rest and a back pain reliever.

I had to switch mouse hands due to the tingly ailment, and chronic mild back pain disappeared after plonking the BackJoy on my chair. I find a healthy hand and back very useful accessories when gaming!
Ergonomics are a must for sure! I bought a Logitech G915, and for the price of that thing I was surprised they no longer include a wrist-rest attachment. Those were generally sufficient for me, but I ended up buying a nice and comfy wrist-rest.

Reactions: Brian Boru
May 13, 2024
Visit site
Well I just found the multi-quoute feature lol. So sorry for the multiple posts :D.

I have the best gaming assistance device ever made ....
It cook deliver drinks , sandwiches , chocolate's and the occasional glass of whiskey to my desk its called the wife.

" waves a flag and dives for cover "

View: https://i.imgur.com/av5gE6b.jpeg

I don't let my wife cook me anything. It's not her talent lol. Her profession kept her traveling over the years since she was a kid, and she never took the time to learn to cook. She can bake cookies at least, and damn does she make great cake balls. Fortunately the years I spent bodybuilding/fitness taught me to cook/meal prep so I'd rather just make my own snacks.

I'm not sure I have any must haves that aren't actually must haves for me, like my magnifying glass, my USB dock, and my ottoman so my ankles don't swell to the size of basketballs. I have a DAC for my headphones (I can't use speakers. It would drive my wife insane), but I don't consider it a "must have".

Oh, wait. I use a half keyboard off to the side. That's something I won't play without.

I'd definitely go with a DAC and a good set of cans if I had to strictly use a headset. Although I do play on a gaming laptop in the living room to hang with the wife in the evenings while she watches her shows. For that I use a Logitech G933. Good open sound and bass-heavy for gaming. But if I had to listen to music with a set of cans, then DAC for sure.

Ergonomics are a must for sure! I bought a Logitech G915, and for the price of that thing I was surprised they no longer include a wrist-rest attachment. Those were generally sufficient for me, but I ended up buying a nice and comfy wrist-rest.
G915 lightspeed version and I am pleased with the battery life. I bought a slim gel rest for it and it does the charm.

May 13, 2024
Visit site
For mobile gaming, an accessory that I have to have are AR (Augmented Reality) glasses.

I picked up a Steam Deck some time last year, but sent it back because it was too hard on my eyes, even with corrective lenses as I'm far sided. Then a work mate turned me on to the xReal Air (formerly nReal) AR glasses. I gave them a try along with a ROG Ally Xtreme, and the results have been nothing short of excellent. I can game now on a handheld, and no need for corrective lenses as the images are nice and bright via the OLED lenses on the xReal. It's much easier now just to plop on the couch on the Ally + AR glasses, vs having to lug my gaming laptop and monitor out to the living room to hang with the wife in the evenings while she watches her shows.

For anyone not familiar with AR glasses, they are glasses that project a 2D video image from a connected device. Just think of them as VR glasses, but not 3D, and they look like large sunglasses and not a headset.

For mobile gaming, an accessory that I have to have are AR (Augmented Reality) glasses.

I picked up a Steam Deck some time last year, but sent it back because it was too hard on my eyes, even with corrective lenses as I'm far sided. Then a work mate turned me on to the xReal Air (formerly nReal) AR glasses. I gave them a try along with a ROG Ally Xtreme, and the results have been nothing short of excellent. I can game now on a handheld, and no need for corrective lenses as the images are nice and bright via the OLED lenses on the xReal. It's much easier now just to plop on the couch on the Ally + AR glasses, vs having to lug my gaming laptop and monitor out to the living room to hang with the wife in the evenings while she watches her shows.

For anyone not familiar with AR glasses, they are glasses that project a 2D video image from a connected device. Just think of them as VR glasses, but not 3D, and they look like large sunglasses and not a headset.
Strange question maybe, but can you use them with a laptop? I have vision problems and have issues with reading things in a lot of games on my laptop.

Sorry. Also, does the Ally Xtreme run Windows? Can it play everything?

May 13, 2024
Visit site
Strange question maybe, but can you use them with a laptop? I have vision problems and have issues with reading things in a lot of games on my laptop.

Indeed you can. I use them with my gaming laptop. Just note the max resolution of 1920 x 1080 if you prefer higher res gaming on your laptop. You'll also need an adapter if your laptop isn't capable of outputting video from the gaming GPU over USB-C as the glasses are USB-C. This USB-C to hdmi adapter is the one that I use.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention is they take some getting used to as the image moves with your head and isn't stationary like a monitor. I don't normally game for more than 2 hours at a time, but the one time that I did while wearing them I got a bit dizzy.

May 13, 2024
Visit site
Sorry. Also, does the Ally Xtreme run Windows? Can it play everything?

Windows 11, but it uses Asus' Armory Crate to give it more of a console-like experience, similar to Steam's app or "Big Picture" mode. Armory Crate also has shortcuts for switching between gaming mode and desktop mode as there are times when you will need to navigate the desktop as you can't get around Windows 11 entirely.

In which case, note one of people's biggest complaints is unlike the Steam Deck you can't immediately pick up where you left off after sleeping the Ally as you have to log back into Windows first. The battery life is also poor on the Ally. But none of those were problems for me as I only really used the Ally in the living room, and I've been using PCs for so long that the having to log back into the OS is like 2nd nature.

I ran Hogwarts Legacy, Starfield, and RoboCop: Rogue City on the Ally without issue. One drawback with the AR glasses is, since they project a larger screen, you will notice the degraded graphics that you won't see on a 7" screen of a handheld. If you're used to gaming at 1440 or 4k, you'll notice the jaggies having to dial down the graphics settings for a handheld to play smoothly at it's already limited resolution. In which case, I prefer to use them with my gaming laptop for newer games.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024
Visit site
Indeed you can. I use them with my gaming laptop. Just note the max resolution of 1920 x 1080 if you prefer higher res gaming on your laptop. You'll also need an adapter if your laptop isn't capable of outputting video from the gaming GPU over USB-C as the glasses are USB-C. This USB-C to hdmi adapter is the one that I use.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention is they take some getting used to as the image moves with your head and isn't stationary like a monitor. I don't normally game for more than 2 hours at a time, but the one time that I did while wearing them I got a bit dizzy.

Something I just remembered since you mentioned the vision thing, text isn't perfectly sharp on the xReal. Not that they're terrible or anything, still very readable given the size of the projected image. For reference, I have a 65" OLED and sit about 14' away. The image projected by the glasses is about 25-30% larger than my TV at that viewing distance.

On the other hand, there are a couple of other AR glasses brands, and one of them was noteworthy of having clearer text. I forget which one, however.

Jun 11, 2024
Visit site
It's an obvious answer, but I will say a good keyboard. When I first switched from a normal "plastic" keyboard to a nice mechanical one, it was eye-opening. It honestly enhances everything from just typing to how quick and easy it is to press the appropriate keys.

Reactions: Colif
I don't really have one.

A good keyboard/mouse are generally useful everywhere so I wouldn't say they just good for games.
Sound: generally use 5.1 speakers even though I have gone mad in last 6 months buying headphones, only really used one set in a game once.

Guess I just take some things for granted.

Second Monitor

Here's another: I currently playing Civ 5 and Far Cry 6, and both have in common that I have useful lists open on Monitor 2.

For Civ, lists of Function Keys, Trade Route techs, and other key techs which I'm filling in as I play.

For FC, resources needed for Camps and their upgrades, plus list of enemy bases I still have to capture undetected with bonus.

Plus of course pretty essential uses outside gaming.

May 26, 2023
Visit site
There's only one accessory I would be gutted without.

JEtXhIj.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts