XCOM: UFO Defense - original NA release date?

Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
Does anyone remember the month/year that XCOM: UFO Defense came out in the U.S.? I've tried Googling it and the dates are all over the place. I was trying to remember because I know I played the PC Gamer demo before I bought the game, but can't remember if it was 94 or 95.

I am pretty sure it was 1993 but i looked in to it a bit and GoG states 31december 1993 and hopefully they know seing as they have probably looked in to the licensing before puting it on sale etc. But they could allso be wrong.

On PC that is, the playstation version came later as did the CD version. Shame i sold my origilan diskette bigbox version or i could have looked at the c marking on the box.

Zloth

Community Contributor
That's old enough that it won't show up everywhere in NA at the same time, too. It could have "gone gold" on the last day of 1993, got disks/manuals made in Jan+Feb, and shipped out to stores over the last couple of weeks of February. Small towns could easily not see the game show up until late March.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Jan 23, 2020
Visit site
Weird. I was trying to remember because my parents got our first modern PC (first Pentium) in June or July of 94. Before that we had an old XT with EGA graphics. So I would go over and play newer games on his PC which was faster (and VGA). I remember playing the PC Gamer XCOM demo on his PC at some point. For some reason I thought I bought the game right when it came out, but it could have been months later when we had a PC that would run it. I wish I would have kept the PC Gamer demo floppies now, for nostalgia if anything!

TRENDING THREADS