Wordle-like Games—general discussion

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Tried out Squareword and did awful because it took me a while to even understand what was going on. I think I can do better next time.

squareword.org 77: 11 guesses

🟩🟩🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟧🟩🟧🟧
🟩🟨🟨🟨🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟩

<6:🟩 <11:🟨 <16:🟧 more:🟥
#squareword #squareword77

Reactions: Brian Boru
Waffle, and I liked it
It's my fav of the lot, that & Quordle would be the 2 I'd keep.

didn't do as well as I could have because I was trying to figure it out
4* is very good, I often only get 3, and have a worst of 1.

I like that it's quite different to the others—all the letters supplied from the start, and the swapping mechanism which contains the puzzle element, plus knowing there's always a 5* score possible.

Careful when dropping a swap tile tho, I screwed up once by carelessly dropping in wrong place.

Squareword
Also a bit different. Note that while you can only guess horizontal words, the verticals are also legit words and therefore can be useful clues.

Reactions: WoodenSaucer
#waffle88 4/5
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩⭐🟩⭐🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩⭐🟩⭐🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

squareword.org 78: 9 guesses
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟩
🟨🟩🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟩🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Worgle 98 4/6
🟡⚫🟡🟡🟢⚫
⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫
⚫🟡🟡🟡🟢🟡
🟢🟢🟢🟢🟢🟢

Meh

#waffle88 4/5

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩⭐🟩⭐🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩⭐🟩⭐🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

squareword.org 78: 8 guesses

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟩🟨

I did a lot better on squareword. Man, I didn't understand that game well at all yesterday. Even after completing the game yesterday, I still didn't realize until today that the letters in the box at the far right are actually in the horizontal word. When I realized that, it made the game much easier. I didn't realize it right away, so I might be able to do better tomorrow.

• Love
squareword.org 79: 9 guesses

🟩🟨🟨🟩🟨
🟨🟩🟨🟩🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

#squareword #squareword79

Just tried out Absurdle

Absurdle 5/∞ https://qntm.org/files/absurdle/absurdle.html

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Didn't do great in Waffle

#waffle89 3/5

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩⭐🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩⭐🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩⭐🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

🔥 streak: 3
wafflegame.net

Last edited:
Tried that a while back, that's the one which keeps changing the answer, right?

Cute idea, but didn't appeal to me. It's kinda one-shot unless I'm missing sth, in that once you find words which work, they'll work the same every time.
I don't think that's how it worked when I played it. When I played it, it was just like Wordle, only they make sure to only give you words that don't have many of the most used letters in them. They're much harder words to guess, but the word stayed the same for me.

I don't think that's how it worked when I played it. When I played it, it was just like Wordle, only they make sure to only give you words that don't have many of the most used letters in them. They're much harder words to guess, but the word stayed the same for me.
I just read the full description of how Absurdle works, and boy was I wrong! Wow! I must have gotten extremely lucky when I got it in 5 guesses. I don't even really understand how it works, even after reading that detailed description. I might try it out a few more times, but this might be one I don't stick with.

I don't even really understand how it works, even after reading that detailed description
I just RTFM'ed and it's what I said.
The game examines your first guess, and picks an answer which gives you fewest clues.

Example: You guess STRAP.
Game should analyze its word list and come up with an answer which leaves the largest possible number of guesses for your second go.
It might be GOING, which shares no letter with your first guess, and leaves 300 possible 2nd guesses for you;
Or it might be DRINK, which shares the R with your 1st guess—thereby giving you a yellow—but still leaves 350 possible guesses for your 2nd because there are so many more words which have R in them.
[above just random picks, not accurate]

It doesn't matter much which answer it comes up with, because it'll do the same after your 2nd guess—ie change the answer again to leave you with the largest number of options for Guess 3.

And so on, until you force it into only having one option left, at which point you win when you guess that.

From the docs:
"Each time you guess, Absurdle prunes its internal list as little as possible, attempting to intentionally prolong the game as much as possible "

That's why I'm fairly sure it's a one-shot game, ie once you figure out the optimal guesses, they'll always work. I'll bet if you can remember the words you played last time, you'll solve it in 5 lines again.
ETA this is in fact the case—from the docs:
"Absurdle algorithm is completely deterministic, it will always respond the same way to the same inputs"
And also:
"It is believed that 4 turns is optimal; it isn't possible to force a win in only 3 turns".

Reactions: WoodenSaucer
Good day!

Worgle 100 4/6
⚫⚫🟡⚫⚫⚫
🟢⚫⚫🟢⚫⚫
🟢⚫🟢🟢🟢⚫
🟢🟢🟢🟢🟢🟢

squareword.org 80: 7 guesses
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟨🟨🟨🟨

#waffle90 5/5
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩⭐🟩⭐🟩
🟩🟩⭐🟩🟩
🟩⭐🟩⭐🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Reactions: Frindis
If you truly have time on your hands, blame @Frindis for its imminent disappearance.

I solved it in 90 guesses and a half hour—I doubt I'll be back :D

Oh hey, it's got stats too:

I solved today's Redactle (#14) in 90 guesses with an accuracy of 43.33%

Congratulations, you solved Redactle #14!
  • The answer was: <edited>
  • You solved it in 90 guesses
  • Your accuracy was 43.33%
  • You have solved 1 consecutive Redactles
Global Stats
  • Globally, 7564 players have solved today's Redactle so far
  • Global Median: 89.00 Guesses; 47.22% Accuracy
  • Global Average: 118.94 Guesses; 50.29% Accuracy
Hmm, odd that the average Global Guesses is a lot higher than mine, but average Global Accuracy is also a lot higher?

ETA: oh now I see, objective is to identify the title of a Wiki article. That should be quicker, I was trying Shakespeare and newspaper etc. Hmm, maybe one more go sometime :)

Last edited:
I just RTFM'ed and it's what I said.
The game examines your first guess, and picks an answer which gives you fewest clues.

Example: You guess STRAP.
Game should analyze its word list and come up with an answer which leaves the largest possible number of guesses for your second go.
It might be GOING, which shares no letter with your first guess, and leaves 300 possible 2nd guesses for you;
Or it might be DRINK, which shares the R with your 1st guess—thereby giving you a yellow—but still leaves 350 possible guesses for your 2nd because there are so many more words which have R in them.
[above just random picks, not accurate]

It doesn't matter much which answer it comes up with, because it'll do the same after your 2nd guess—ie change the answer again to leave you with the largest number of options for Guess 3.

And so on, until you force it into only having one option left, at which point you win when you guess that.

From the docs:
"Each time you guess, Absurdle prunes its internal list as little as possible, attempting to intentionally prolong the game as much as possible "

That's why I'm fairly sure it's a one-shot game, ie once you figure out the optimal guesses, they'll always work. I'll bet if you can remember the words you played last time, you'll solve it in 5 lines again.
ETA this is in fact the case—from the docs:
"Absurdle algorithm is completely deterministic, it will always respond the same way to the same inputs"
And also:
"It is believed that 4 turns is optimal; it isn't possible to force a win in only 3 turns".
It also said if you use the same words, it will be the exact same game every time. It's cool that they made it open source because it's an interesting concept from a programming perspective. But as for actually playing the game, it's definitely not the best.

Worgle 101 4/6
⚫⚫🟢⚫⚫⚫
⚫🟢🟡⚫⚫⚫
🟡🟢🟢⚫🟡⚫
🟢🟢🟢🟢🟢🟢
I'll probably stop playing this, too like the 5-letter original.

squareword.org 81: 8 guesses
🟨🟩🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

#waffle91 5/5
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩⭐🟩⭐🟩
🟩🟩⭐🟩🟩
🟩⭐🟩⭐🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

SquareWord
7GC Members
Brian Boru x 5

Waffle
5🔯C Members
Brian Boru x 11

#waffle94 4/5
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩⭐🟩⭐🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩⭐🟩⭐🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Tricky…

squareword.org 84: 8 guesses
🟨🟨🟩🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟨🟨🟨🟩

#waffle95 3/5
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩⭐🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩⭐🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩⭐🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

squareword.org 85: 10 guesses
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟨🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟩
🟨🟨🟩🟩🟩
Probably my worst :(

I've been getting Squareword in 9 guesses about every time.

squareword.org 86: 9 guesses

🟨🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟩🟩🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

#squareword #squareword86

Squareword in 9 guesses
Only suggestion is to really leverage the vertical words—what's probable… The rightmost vertical was very helpful for me today.

Meanwhile, on a good day:

#waffle96 5/5
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩⭐🟩⭐🟩
🟩🟩⭐🟩🟩
🟩⭐🟩⭐🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

squareword.org 86: 7 guesses
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Waffle
5🔯C Members
Brian Boru x 12

SquareWord
7GC Members
Brian Boru x 6

Good day today!

#canuffle 5/5
🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥
🟥🍁🟥🍁🟥
🟥🟥🍁🟥🟥
🟥🍁🟥🍁🟥
🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥

squareword.org 88: 7 guesses
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

#waffle99 2/5
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩⭐🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟩⭐🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

squareword.org 89: 8 guesses
🟩🟨🟩🟩🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟩🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Seems to swing between good or bad days.

TRENDING THREADS