Windows 11 upgrade recommended?

Hello

My pc spec is in my signature. Windows 11 should run on my PC, I have all the specs for it. However I am going to get a new SSD 500GB just after Christmas to run smoother windows 11.

So, would windows 11 run smoothly like windows 10 does now on my PC? Would I need to upgrade anything like my CPU, or add more RAM?

Is there away to find out how smoothly windows will run (like an app), I have used the Microsoft check to see if my PC has the spec.

I have not got the ability to update my system to windows 11 via the settings update, I think I read that Microsoft are releasing windows 11 slowly over the however many days/weeks.

Thank you.

Reactions: ZedClampet
You never really know until you actually do it. With the W11 update, you have 10 days to roll back to W10. Make sure after you install W11 that you reboot and look for driver problems. In my experience, this is where the biggest issue is when changing your OS. Of course, make sure any apps that you rely on still work. I assume they will, but just make sure. A lot of companies who sell apps, like video editing apps, will not update their app to the new OS and instead will require you to buy a new version.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Is there away to find out how smoothly windows will run
I've read/watched a fair amount of content on W11 and never heard of such an app or other method. What I've generally seen is if you meet the specs, then it should run similar to how W10 runs.

driver … apps that you rely on
These would be the main items to check beforehand, by visiting the makers' websites. Again, I've not heard of any major issues.

I think I read that Microsoft are releasing windows 11 slowly over the however many days/weeks
That is correct, they're handling it like they handle each main upgrade to W10. Roll out a few, check feedback, fix anything, roll out more—rinse and repeat.

windows 11 is windows 10 with a facelift. I have a 3600xt and I have been on WIn 11 for a few months now, and its only when asked about win 11 I remember I am on it. It is that similar... only difference i see is the power button is in a different place on start menu - I moved the start menu to left (where it should be) within 5 minutes of having 11.

If it works on win 10, it will be fine on 11.

I normally answer questions about windows on Tom's but I have had month off so not sure what problems there are for windows 11 specifically. Drivers are always problems, win 10 is the same.

Last edited:
These would be the main items to check beforehand, by visiting the makers' websites. Again, I've not heard of any major issues.

You can check the websites before hand if you want, but you better check them on your PC after the update, too. Especially the drivers you won't know until after you've updated. Maybe I just had bad luck, but I've never upgraded an OS and not had driver problems, and some of them were literally unfixable.

For instance, you can delete most of your drivers right now. Shut your computer down. And the next time you start it up again, most of them have been reinstalled during launch. If you need a new driver for Win11, and your computer doesn't recognize it, it may replace it every time you launch your computer, and that can be a serious problem.

Maybe @Colif can clarify what happens here. My understanding at this depth is not great.

Last edited:
win 10 introduced mandatory driver signatures that required the hardware makers to get the drivers signed to work with windows. I am not aware of a restriction like that between 10 & 11 and right now, as millions of people update, I doubt they have implemented such an idea. it is too soon.

So if the driver hasn't been signed to work with 10, windows won't run it at all and ignore it.

System files are protected in the manner you suggest, I guess drivers are extended the service. I generally don't delete drivers, I update them.

there are ways to see what drivers you have now.
Download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

never rely on 3rd party driver updaters like Driver Booster. They may seem a good idea but they often install the wrong drivers and mess up.

System files are protected in the manner you suggest, I guess drivers are extended the service. I generally don't delete drivers, I update them.

Just as an example of what happened to me once: When I updated a laptop to a new version of Windows, I started having problems with the touchpad. It needed a new driver. So I installed the new driver, but every time the computer was rebooted, it reverted back to the old driver. The touchpad was causing problems with even using a mouse, so I tried to just delete the driver altogether. Of course, that didn't work. It was just reinstalled every boot. I finally opened up the laptop and disconnected the touch pad.

I could have written a script and added it to the start-up folder, where it would update that driver every time, but that was more work than just disconnecting the thing and would have just added more time to the boot-up on that old computer.

updating from 7 to 10 is not the same experience as upgrading from 10 to 11.

Win 10 is the basis for windows 11, so I upgraded via the insiders program. It was a windows update, it was the exact same process as any other windows 10 version update. I didn't know I was getting win 11 until it restarted. After swapping start menu location, its really easy to forget I have it... I was asking before I got it what difference is, and I am still not sure.

There will always be issues updating windows but for majority of the users, it should work fine. I know better than to say there aren't any problems but the vast majority of users don't go onto forums and report everything is fine, and nothing to worry about... so answering questions on forums can make things appear worse than they are.

Many win 7 drivers didn't work well with 10. Clean install on laptop may have resolved the issue as well. It was a recommended fix for about a year after win 10 was released. Expect Microsoft doing same with 11 now.

• Love
updating from 7 to 10 is not the same experience as upgrading from 10 to 11.

Where in the world did you get that I updated from 7 to 10? This particular problem happened when I went from 7 to 8.

But I'm not going to argue about this. Updating from 10 to 11 should go smoothly. I'm just recommending that you check for problems before your 10 days are up.

it shouldn't change anything in chrome.

Its always possible it could but as I said, it feels like win 10 to me, the upgrade was exactly the same as any version update that windows 10 would do every 6 months. I wish I could point to one thing I have to do differently now, as it would be something.

The icon animations are so subtle they had to make people use 720p resolution screeens to make the animations more obvious. I like how you can actually have different desktop wallpapers on different virtual desktops but tbh, that isn't worth upgrading windows to get, it should have just been added to win 10 all along. Virtual desktops is still a work in progress, maybe by win 20 they might have it finished.

Oct 31, 2021
Visit site
I've upgraded to windows 11, and I can say the experience is fine. If you have a ryzen system all you need to download the patches from both windows and amd and you will be golden. Otherwise i think its much cleaner and simpler (once you get used to it) to use compared with windows 10

Idk ive personally heard that for gaming its not as good but for ddr5 and the 12th gen cpu coming out soon are going to better on windows 10 i would stay windows 10 for now until they myths are true

I upgraded, ran some benchmarks and lost a lot of performance on 11, so I went back to 10. When I upgrade my hardware, I'll go to 11.

By the way, the person up there asking about Chrome was wondering if upgrading to 11 would close out all his currently open tabs :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Gaogier

TRENDING THREADS