Question will there be a Mass Effect 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MangoPop

BANNED
Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
Five years passed by before the sequel to ME3 was released and let's face it - it was a major dud (actually, for ME fans it was worse than a dud - more like an EA betrayal of sorts). MEA is an ok game and I've logged many hours playing it) but it is boringly repetitive, etc, etc but it was, well, almost a completely different story line.

There's some info online says they're working (or going to be working) on an ME sequel. Anyone have any "inside" info regarding a sequel (in particular ... will it be ME 4 or an Andromeda sequel)?

Mknott

Staff member
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
Last I read Anthem had really soured a lot of prospects on top of Andromeda's reception.

Which is a shame, I loved Mass Effect and I'm gutted there might not be any more, but at the same time I'd rather see a remaster of the trilogy.

It's the kind of series where I think sequels can't live up to the original because the plot was pretty much tied to how the universe worked, without that it's a bit too generic to feel exciting. If they released a full remake of the series with the best practices from all of them I think it would be gold.

Apr 26, 2020
Visit site
The strategy might be that they'll release Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered to build up hype and have everyone nostalgic again before they announce a new ME. So if the rumors of a ME remaster are true, then maybe there is a chance that ME4 or another spinoff is announced shortly after.

Reactions: MangoPop

Sarafan

Community Contributor
There are indeed rumors about Mass Effect Trilogy remasters. It's more possible that we'll see them rather than the next installment in the series. I think that Dragon Age 4 will have priority. After that, who knows? But it's a quite distant future. Probably 4-5 years.

Reactions: MangoPop

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Just from what I have been seeing. Bio-ware needs either serious rework, or their titles need new ownership. Since the EA takeover of Bio-ware they have lost almost every writer and creative director that made the amazing titles that I have come to think of as some of the best RPG's ever made.
Look at it this way. Here are the games Bioware made BEFORE being part of EA that I love:
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Neverwinter Nights
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Jade Empire
Mass Effect
(Technically released after the EA transition, but was in dev well before
Here are the games after EA that I loved:
Dragon Age: Origins
Mass Effect 2 <--- this is the last game with Drew Karpyshyn and it really shows
Mass Effect 3

With that said, I really hope maybe Obsidian can get their hands on the series. While The Outer Worlds was really short, it was absolutely fantastic. The combat was fun, the story was compelling, and the world was just so well built. I think they would be able to make a fantastic Mass Effect Game, maybe not Mass Effect 4, but their own Mass Effect adventure.

Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
Do we trust EA or Bioware to make a good ME game after Andromeda?
I know that they did a looot of fixes for it but it couldn't fix the less then average story and the bitter taste left.
And the excuse was that A team was working on Anthem (we all know how that ended up)
Imo ME story is done with Commander Shepard story.

Reactions: Sarafan

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Just from what I have been seeing. Bio-ware needs either serious rework, or their titles need new ownership. Since the EA takeover of Bio-ware they have lost almost every writer and creative director that made the amazing titles that I have come to think of as some of the best RPG's ever made.

It's not necessarily a problem with personel rotation. Look at id Software. There's almost no one from the original crew on board and they're still making great FPS games. The problem is rather with EA policy. I suspect they force BioWare to implement some unnecessary features (like MMO style quests or online features) rather than focusing on the story and mechanics.

With that said, I really hope maybe Obsidian can get their hands on the series.

I wouldn't count on it. Obsidian is now part of Microsoft and Mass Effect franchise is owned by EA. But there are also good news. Obsidian is currently working on an AAA RPG game which resembles Skyrim a little. Check the trailer:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS8n-pZQWWc&feature=emb_title

MaddMann

Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
It's not necessarily a problem with personel rotation. Look at id Software. There's almost no one from the original crew on board and they're still making great FPS games.

Trying to compare the story line from DOOM to that of an in depth RPG is a really big stretch. Doom has some fun shooting mechanics, for for a person like me, that holds very little water without an amazing world to back it up. What Bioware lost have been most of its creative talents. Take a look at the career of Drew Karpyshyn and you will see what I mean. Even outside of loosing their best creative minds that influenced their amazing worlds and in depth lore, their game play has also been dramatically reduced. Here is a short timeline to show what I mean

Drew Karpyshyn, lead writer on Mass Effect and Anthem, left in 2012, and then again in 2018
David Gaider, lead writer of Dragon Age series, left in 2016
Chris Schlerf, writer on Mass Effect: Andromeda, left in 2016
Ian Frazier, Lead Designer of Mass Effect: Andromeda, shifted from BioWare to EA Motive in 2017
Aaron Flynn, ex-General Manager, left in July 2017, shortly after Mass Effect: Andromeda's launch and after 17 years with BioWare (replaced by Casey Hudson, who previously had left in 2014)
Mike Laidlaw, ex-Dragon Age creative director, left in October 2017 after 14 years with BioWare
James Ohlen, lead designer on Baldur's Gate, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, and Dragon Age: Origins, leaves BioWare in July 2018 after 22 years
Ben Irving, lead producer on Anthem, left August 2019 after 8 years with the company

They lost the talent that made them what they are because of corporate greed and lack of creative freedoms.

MaddMann

Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Also, I am super excited for Avowed. With a little patience and support from their fans, I think it could be the new "Skyrim" many of us are looking for. I hope to hear more about it as it develops!

Aug 25, 2020
Visit site
Look at it this way. Here are the games Bioware made BEFORE being part of EA that I love:

100% this. I want more Mass Effect just as much as the next guy, but all the people who made it great are no longer in Bioware.

Reactions: Frindis
Technically, Mass Effect 5 is what it would be, being the 5th major Mass Effect title.

I loved Andromeda, and am looking forward to exploring it further. I was totally expecting the big twist (which did not happen) in the game where a Mass Relay was discovered in the galaxy by the Ark exploration teams, since a 50 million year old Reaper Cycle every 50,000 years in the Milky Way would surely have had its claws in the Andromeda Galaxy as well. :cool:

For now, I will settle for the silence of the Milky Way, 600 years after the events of Mass Effect 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS