Will the prices on pc’s drop or should I buy one now before they rise even higher?

Will the prices on pc’s drop or should I buy one now before they rise even higher?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
I guess it depends what kind of features you're after...especially with new technology, as it becomes more standard the prices can only go one way (down).

Feb 1, 2021
Visit site
I guess it depends what kind of features you're after...especially with new technology, as it becomes more standard the prices can only go one way (down).
I’m trying to buy an Ibuypower Gaming Pc and the prices keep going up... Would it be worth buying now?

Sarafan

Community Contributor
No one knows how the situation will develop for sure, but in my opinion it's not a good time to upgrade PC. There's a problem with GPU availability, which skyrockets the prices. Add to that the boom on cryptocurrencies and here you have the current situation. The availability of GPU's should be better in the second half of the year. I suspect that the prices will fall down eventually, but no one will give you a guarantee that it'll happen.

No, prices on PCs wont drop anytime soon. Its really up to you when to shoot your shot on buying a pre-built, even though prices for products seem sky high, pre-built pc's are still roughly the same price, ie a 2/2.5k computer will have the higher end graphic cards where as a 1k will have mid range or lower.

Reactions: ninjas
There were times in the past where I would have said "buy it now", but this is not one of those times. My understanding is that we're entering another scarcity period, but those only last so long (in the past, at least.) Usually in these situations, if I'm really desperate for a system, I'll buy the bits that are reasonably priced now and wait for the rest to come back down. However, that's how I wound up using a Z170 mobo after Z270's became standard, so caveat emptor, YMMV, etc.

Aug 4, 2020
Visit site
Basically PC gaming takes a backseat after supporting these companies since day one. Now they couldn't give a toss about letting the gamer have there hardware as long as they sell their stock.

Prices on PC hardware is actually going up, GPUs are already seeing the rise and stuff like RAM is also going to be a bit inflated. But it seems like these price hikes might also be permanent, which isn't a total surprise.

That is not really the case though. Sure some new stuff is climbing but also things are getting better. You can toss together an extremely good good budget system right now . Use a budget card like the 1650 which are available, same with the lower end Radon cards.

this is actually a time where a 400-500 dollar system is very good, and can be an incredibly good entry PC that can play a crap ton of stuff, even the newest games like cyber punk. (no raytracing and 1080p)

That said, I would wait till march anyway as times are kinda lean and there just aren't many sales going on right now. Had you built a budget system right around the holidays you probably could of gotten 500 dollar rig or less if you found a few key sales. Very good bargain system specs. 3.8-4.3ghz, 8gb, 500GB, 1650, 650w PS, that would come in right around there with room to upgrade ram and storage and a vid card a year or so down the road or even wait for the 4060's :)

I mean GPU prices are most definitely seeing a permanent price hike, it's something they even said as much. Sure, dated hardware is cheaper, but that's because it's several years old by now. That's always the case. RAM shortages are also causing price hikes, and that is subsequently impacting the GPU market beyond the standard price hike. With covid and tariffs its kind of unavoidable, though.

An additional factor driving current chip scarcity—and therefore price hikes—is the resurgence in car demand. Cars are essentially rolling computers with ~ 100 chips in them.

What I'm seeing in business & tech coverage is that the shortages are likely to last until at least second half of this year, with some saying it'll be summer 2022 before supply catches up with demand.

So I would say buy now unless you can afford to wait a year.

TRENDING THREADS