why don't you discuss football games?

Jun 21, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for allowing me to be part of this forum. most of the games here are new to me. Nevertheless, it's an opportunity for me to learn new games and explore new games.
However I notice you don't discuss football games here, I am a lover of football games too. hope I will be permitted to post about football games here?

American Football is the only real football!
Oh, have they started playing the ball with the foot? About time!
As a rugby fan, it's been embarrassing watching the kid taking so long to figure it out.

hope I will be permitted to post about football games here?
Welcome to the forum :)

Of course you're permitted :)
Start a new thread about it and see who bites.

I notice you don't discuss football games here
I don't know, but I wonder are football games more popular with console players?

We're RPG-heavy here at the moment, but the forum is still young and growing, so I expect some sanity to appear over time which will hopefully up the tone of the place.

Perhaps you'll be the catalyst, we'll be building a statue to you in Future (plc) ;)

American Football is the only real football!
You beat me to it, OP didn't say, but it felt like he was talking about what we here in the states call soccer.
Oh, have they started playing the ball with the foot? About time!
As a rugby fan, it's been embarrassing watching the kid taking so long to figure it out.

Welcome to the forum :)

Of course you're permitted :)
Start a new thread about it and see who bites.

I don't know, but I wonder are football games more popular with console players?

We're RPG-heavy here at the moment, but the forum is still young and growing, so I expect some sanity to appear over time which will hopefully up the tone of the place.

Perhaps you'll be the catalyst, we'll be building a statue to you in Future (plc) ;)
Well, the name may not be as apropos regarding our American Football, especially since most NFL teams now rely heavily on a more passing prone offense, but we feel it's just a more rounded game. You often see great passing plays and great running plays in the same game, and while they do wear pads, there's higher speed impacts than Rugby has, which necessitates them. Rugby is slightly better than Soccer because there's usually more scoring going on, but neither can compare to a really good American Football game, like the AFC championship game last year between the Chiefs and the Bills. It doesn't get much better than that!

That said, I know full well Rugby players are not just strong, but very athletic overall as well. I learned that first hand when a local rugby player joined our mountain bike club. His knees seemed as thick as my thighs (slight exaggeration), and at his weight, I thought he would struggle on steep climbs. He powered up them without even getting out of the saddle though. However it was a relatively short ride with short climbs. The real question was whether he'd be able to handle longer rides with longer climbs. I never got to see that though, because after a close friend of his died, he stopped riding with us. That was a sad thing for us, because we all liked him.

To OP's thread question though, probably because it's always an endless debate over which type of "football" is best, soccer, ruby, American Football, and some might even toss in Canadian or Australian football, which are very similar to our American football, well, except for the Aussie refs, which dress a bit strangely and point forward instead of upward when a field goal is made. Gotta love em for almost getting it right though. :LOL:

I don't much care for USFL, XFL, or even US college football though, it's got to be NFL for me, all the way!

Last edited:
Hand Egg has no place in this world. 😝

Are we talking Football Manager 2022, FIFA 2022, PES? Maybe Champ Manager? Mario Soccer on the Switch? I mean.. choices a plenty.
bits-hate-superJumbo-v3.jpg

No! We're talking Madden!

Zloth

Community Contributor
I didn't even give this game an hour, but it still looks fun to play. Some day...

Or maybe this classic...

My brain auto translated
farthest thing from my realm of interest
into
fartiest thing from my realm of interest

Sahreeeeeeee :p

It's football, ya know the round ball that's kicked around with feet - as opposed to an odd shaped torpedo that's carried across the field and rarely kicked around. On that note, I miss the UEFA Champions League games that EA published. Sadly EA were a topic in and of itself. Konami only got better as their licensing deals with teams improved.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
It's football, ya know the round ball that's picked around with feet - as opposed to an odd shaped torpedo that's carried across the field and rarely kicked around. On that note, I miss the UEFA Champions League games that EA published. Sadly EA were a topic in and of itself. Konami only got better as their licensing deals with teams improved.
It's called "football" because the ball is shaped like a foot.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
It's called "football" because the ball is shaped like a foot.
It can also be punted and kicked various ways due to the shape, momentum sapping backspin punts, great for pinning it near the goal line, spiral punt, great for preventing run backs, dribble punt, great for running down time while assuring a skilled runner doesn't get it, the goofy punt, which is akin to the knuckleball, and can be hard to catch, great for trying to force turnovers deep in opponent territory, and lastly, the downward kickoff to produce unpredictable bounce, great for onside kicks.

Like I said, American Football is about variety and a multitude of schemes and strategies.. There's far more to it than most soccer fans give it credit for. It's a whole lot more than just a constant back and forth, with very little scoring as per soccer. There's a lot of pacing and strategies applied to just about every aspect of it, including substitutions, like the way Arron Rodgers often catches defenses off guard with a too many players on the field penalty by calling a quick play while they're substituting.

That said, I can also respect the skill it takes to play soccer well, but try to tell a goalie it's just about the foot. We had one of the best here in the NW USA named Kasey Keller, whom played for the Sounders, Europe, then the National team here. He was pretty incredible. I also love a well controlled solo move to the goal, and well executed headers and bicycle kicks. Unfortunately you don't see fantastic things like that as often as you do in American Football, it's mostly just back and forth.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: WoodenSaucer
There's far more to it than most soccer fans give it credit for
In fairness, that wouldn't be difficult :)
Soccer is not meant to be a strategic game, it's a game about ball control and manipulation skills. I rank it and hurling as the top 2 individual skill field games. There are of course strategies in both games, but they're secondary to ball skill.

It can also be punted and kicked various ways
Most of what you describe can be done in most ball games, heck even in snooker :D
I would guess at least 10 of the 12 minutes action in an American football game is by the 2 non-kicking teams on each side, and only max 10 seconds of each kicking play is actual 'foot' ball.

It's a whole lot more than just a constant back and forth
Hmm, I would say the opposite, ie that it's a whole lot less. A while back I researched the actual amount of play time v TV watching time for 3 sports:
American football—12m for 180m viewing [15m to see 1m];
Rugby—35m for 105m [3m to see 1m];
Soccer—55m for 115m [2m to see 1m].

That's one reason I stopped watching American football—3 hours is too much time to invest to see 12 minutes of on-field action. I remember one article claiming there are more ads than plays—dunno if true.

Soccer is also a more complete test of player ability. 11 guys plus 1 sub play the whole game, attack, defense, build-up, set pieces etc. Not only that, they play for 50m, compared to 5m for an American football player.

So yah, there's a whole lot more going on in most field games.

Arron Rodgers often catches defenses off guard with a too many players on the field penalty by calling a quick play while they're substituting
That's another reason I stopped watching, the gamesmanship and time-wasting tactics employed—it's just my thing that such has no place in sport. I played a few different sports as a kid, and such as you describe just wouldn't fly in any of them, not would the whole final 2-minute shenanigans be tolerated.

Kasey Keller
I remember him with Spurs & Borussia! He was indeed very good.

Hey @ritrinji, look at us all discussing football games! You must be pleased ;)

It can also be punted and kicked various ways due to the shape, momentum sapping backspin punts, great for pinning it near the goal line, spiral punt, great for preventing run backs, dribble punt, great for running down time while assuring a skilled runner doesn't get it, the goofy punt, which is akin to the knuckleball, and can be hard to catch, great for trying to force turnovers deep in opponent territory, and lastly, the downward kickoff to produce unpredictable bounce, great for onside kicks.

Like I said, American Football is about variety and a multitude of schemes and strategies.. There's far more to it than most soccer fans give it credit for. It's a whole lot more than just a constant back and forth, with very little scoring as per soccer. There's a lot of pacing and strategies applied to just about every aspect of it, including substitutions, like the way Arron Rodgers often catches defenses off guard with a too many players on the field penalty by calling a quick play while they're substituting.

That said, I can also respect the skill it takes to play soccer well, but try to tell a goalie it's just about the foot. We had one of the best here in the NW USA named Kasey Keller, whom played for the Sounders, Europe, then the National team here. He was pretty incredible. I also love a well controlled solo move to the goal, and well executed headers and bicycle kicks. Unfortunately you don't see fantastic things like that as often as you do in American Football, it's mostly just back and forth.
Yeah, American Football is way more strategic than soccer. But I'll admit that even though soccer is an inferior sport :LOL:, they have to exert a lot more energy than American Football players.

Zloth

Community Contributor
American football—12m for 180m viewing [15m to see 1m];
Rugby—35m for 105m [3m to see 1m];
Soccer—55m for 115m [2m to see 1m].
I think we need to introduce you to something we call "baseball." You spend at least 90% of the time between pitches with nothing going on. The vast majority of pitches aren't put in play, either.

What all that down time does do, though, is provide lots of time for chit chat. Just be careful if you're at the stadium watching live and you aren't in a place behind a net. "Not in play" could be "coming straight at your noggin."

Oh... but you never hit the ball with a base. I guess that means the name is silly. Well, at least it isn't named something crazy, like some random insect. ;)

That's one reason I stopped watching American football—3 hours is too much time to invest to see 12 minutes of on-field action.
And that would be completely false. Plus I'll take intermittent exciting action over mostly watching players just run up and down a field, rarely making goals. In fact one of the things that makes the least sense to me and I hate most about soccer is their insistence on having no time outs to the point of running themselves into a leg cramped state. It's just idiotic when you consider it's largely a game of kicking a ball back and forth until someone FINALLY scores a goal. I mean jeez they don't even let them hydrate during a match as far as I know, it's like a sweat shop sport. Another thing I find incredibly strange is it's such a simple sport for fans to get so worked up about that they actually get into mass fights sometimes over it. Clearly these fans have nothing better to do than act like crazed politicians in some Asian countries that do the exact same thing when arguing politics. To each their own, but if you can't handle deep strategy sports, and the aloofness and deceit that goes with, I would imagine life itself would be hard to take. :LOL:

I told you the reason football isn't discussed a lot on most international forums OP, you should have seen this coming. You opened up a can of nasty worms. :oops:

Last edited:
I guess I should have made clear I was talking for myself—ie 3 hours is too much time for me to invest for 12 minutes of action, so for me it's completely true.

Good to see you have a passion for the game and obviously get a lot out of it—long may that last for you and the many millions who share your enthusiasm :)
First off, it was false because there are 60 minutes of actual gameplay. So it's more like 3 hours for 60 minutes of action. :)

I love AF because I like to see how they're lining up and try to figure out what their strategy is going to be. You usually think about the offense being the one strategizing, but there is just as much on the defensive side. People think of football players as being stupid, and that may be more of a stereotype for certain positions, but the ones controlling the game have to be very intelligent, as well as fit. I hated football when I didn't understand it, but the more I learned about how it works, the more I loved the game. It's kind of like chess on a field.

You can make fun of its name if you want, but it is a great game.

TRENDING THREADS