Why does my pc often get stuck on sign in screen?

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Sometimes when I start up my pc, it will show the sign in screen, but nothing shows up. It just shows the the background picture. I can move the mouse around, and click but nothing happens, so I have to hold the power button, and restart my pc.

windows 11 right?

I wonder if startup repair help. It might, can never tell.

from desktop, go to settings/system/recovery
next to advanced startup, click restart now
this loads windows into a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

restart PC and see if it helps - although since its only sometimes, it might take time to work out if it helped

another thing that might help is:
search for powershell and load app - in the right hand choices in search, pick run as admin

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
windows 11 right?

I wonder if startup repair help. It might, can never tell.

from desktop, go to settings/system/recovery
next to advanced startup, click restart now
this loads windows into a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

restart PC and see if it helps - although since its only sometimes, it might take time to work out if it helped

another thing that might help is:
search for powershell and load app - in the right hand choices in search, pick run as admin

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11
Yes I have windows 11. I'll try your suggestions. Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts