Which PSU do i need for a RTX 2070 Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2020
Visit site
Currently have a GTX 1060 3GB but would like to upgrade to the RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB, been looking at a Corsair VS650 650 , would this be okay? Not upgraded my PC before apart from putting a RAM stick in so not totally sure what im doing, any help would be great, thanks.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
What power supply do you have now? Brand + Model + Wattage? How old is it?

There are several power calculaters, where, if you put in the specs of the rest of the system, you'll get an estimated power usage. I've tried them once before and they're all fairly simular in how much wattage they expect you to need. Generally speaking I'd say that 600W is more than enough for a 2070, but I'd still recommend using one (or multiple if you want confirmation) power calculators to come to a recommended wattage.

Because right now we don't know the rest of your system we can't really advice on the power you need, so you can use it yourself, or post the rest of your system so we can come with an advice of power and brand + type (there are several to alot of unworthy / garbage power supplies on the market so it takes a while to figure out which one to get).

PSU calculator OuterVision
BeQuiet PSU calculator
SeaSonic PSU calculator
Newegg PSU calculator
Also PC partpicker will give an estimated wattage if you put in the rest of your system.

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Current PSU is CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450, CPU: Intel i7-8700,RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance, 120GB ADATA SU650 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb , 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
So a few more questions:
- Is your CPU overclocked,or is it an non-overclocked version? 8700k instead of 8700 or is it really the 8700 non anything?
- Do you have a water cooling in your PC? Yes / No
- How much fans are build into your pc?
- Are there any parts connected to your PC that drew a decent amount of power (external HDD, controller etc?)

I don't think they affect the recommended power usage THAT much but I'd feel safer including them.

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Here is everything else i can think of in my tower:

Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700 (3.2GHz) 12MB Cache

PCS FrostFlow 100 Series High Performance CPU Cooler

50cm Blue LED Strip

WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD

MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

My biggest question would be - what monitor are you gaming on? What is the resolution and refresh rate?

If you're gaming at 1080p, an RTX 2070 Super is very arguably a waste of money. It's not futureproof as much as just money up the wall - since by the time you'd need that extra performance, newer and more powerful GPUs with newer technologies would be available for a lower price.

Then that is a very good fit :)

You've already got that monitor I take it? How did you find it out of curiosity?

Re the PSU, not all RTX 2070 Supers use the same amount of power. Many are factory overclocked and so can use more power under heavy loads:
So it depends a little which 2070 Super specifically you buy.

Also, a VS series is fine as a budget PSU, but is not the most efficient. Also running PSUs closer to their limits can be even less efficient and result in more heat. The and 'quality' of the power they provide to the components is not as good either.

Therefore, even if you technically could run your specific 2070 Super off the 450W VS, there'd be an argument to upgrading, not just to a higher wattage PSU but - since you're upgrading anyway - to a better quality unit too. e.g. Corsair TXm, Corsair RMx, Seasonic Focus / Focus Gold, and so on.

Reactions: Inspireless Llama
May 8, 2020
Visit site
Yeah i love it, was using a bog standard acer 1080p 60 hz before it, been using my pc a lot more since i got the Acer Predator XB1 but obviously not getting the full benefit of the monitor using my current GPU.

Im looking at getting the MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio.

Only reason i choose that PSU is because ive never installed a PSU before so thought getting one in the same series as my current PSU would make it simpler and its cheap £60, im just worried whatever i buy wont work for some reason or i mess up the installation etc.

Reactions: Oussebon
A higher end PSU would actually be a little simpler too as they are modular and so you only plug in the cables you need. Meaning you don't need to deal with cable spaghetti in the case.

And don't worry, installing a PSU is fairly simple. If in any doubt, take photos of everything you touch / unplug in the PC. Then you'll have a reference for where things were/go back!

£60 is already a certain amount of money. When you consider much better PSUs like Corsair, EVGA, and Seasonic gold-rated units can all be had for under £100. The price difference would be less than 5% of the cost of your monitor+GPU. If you're already spending £60 upgrading the GPU, may as well be £75-£100 for something much better and more reliable. VS series comes with 3 year warranty, which is fine - many gold units have 7-10 year warranties. If that gives an indication of what the manufacturers think about the reliability of the products :)

Reactions: Inspireless Llama
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS