Thinking of Upgrading RTX 2070 Super to RTX 3070

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
At the moment I have a RTX 2070 Super graphics card and was thinking of upgrading to RTX 3070 I have already have checked if it will be compatible with my system which it is. I only have a 32 inch 1080 monitor and I have read that to upgrade the graphics card it would be pointless doing so unless I upgrade to a 4K monitor is this true? If it is then it would cost me at least £800 which is a lot of money

The reason I am thinking of upgrading is because when I bought the system a couple of years ago I could set my graphics to ultra with most games now I am having to set the graphics to medium to high in some of the newer games and in a few including Robocop and Alan Wake to the lowest settings and it wont be long before it will get like this with most games

[Mod edit: added " RTX 2070 Super to RTX 3070".]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
A 4070 would be nice if I could afford one.
Scratch that, I didn't realise they were that cheap. I might even go for the 4070 SUPER as I've seen it priced between £600 and £700. I wont be upgrading until around November so they should be even cheaper.

I don't want to go overboard and buy other bits. I want to keep with my B450 motherboard and I only have a 650 watt PSU. Would my computer still handle a 4070 graphics card?

I've also been told to forget about 4K but maybe stick with 1080 and go for a 32 inch 240Hz monitor. Both the 4070 Super and the monitor would fit into my budget in November

Last edited:
Reactions: D10S
Yea dont decide anything other than your maximum budget until its time to buy something, you might be surprised what youd get.

a 4070 should be using the same amount of power as your 2070, maybe a bit less so PSU should would fine if it worked before.

I have to give you the obligatory enthusiast strong recommendation to check your PSU is of good quality and inside its warranty period. Having a good PSU hugely reduces the chances that you'll need to replace other components down the line as clean power wears components less over time.

I also suggest you go to a physical store and have a good look at a game being played on a 32 inch 1080p monitor. A lot of people dont like the definition of HD at 27 inches and up, but its a personal taste thing.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Blackwell is still a year away, but by November, you might be able to get a 4070Ti/4070TiS for the price 4070 Super sells.
650w is fine, as long as it's a good 650w that really can deliver around 650w peak at times. a whole system with 4070Ti Super will stay well under 500w on average,even in demanding games. rtx40 is very,very efficient. My 3080 draws 320w by itself for comparison.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts