Question Which psu can i buy for my rig?

Mar 27, 2021
Visit site
I had a Corsair VS650w for a AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and a Radeon 5700XT , and it blew up a week ago. And im looking for a new psu but im kinda scared for psunits and ive been researching for it; I have 2-3 psu options but i dont know how good they are.
  1. Seasonic CORE GM-650w 80+Gold
  2. Cougar GEX650w 80+Gold
  3. EVGA 600 GD 80+Gold

A couple of things to state in order to save you from a potential fire hazard or even walking into a trap, OP.

Just because a PSU has 80+ Gold stated on it doesn't always mean that it's got a good build quality. The 80+ rating can now be bought with minimal scrutiny by the people who award the rating. Atop of that, EVGA have been known to have a wide spectrum of units, it doesn't help us when the brand tends to have some hit or miss units even in the high end unit's segment. Yes there are more than a number of incidents where high end EVGA units were duds.

Seasonic is an OEM and they make their own PSU's. Other brands like Fractal, EVGA and Asus have relied on Seasonic to make them their PSU's. That being said, I'd advise on buying the Seasonic unit from that lineup. I'd also state that having headroom from your PSU will ensure that you can either:
a| run the PSU for a longer period of time(as in years)
or
b| that you have the option to upgrade with a beefier GPU down the road(provided there is no apocalypse)
or
c| you run an efficient system whereby you're only taxing the PSU around it's optimum load levels to get that coveted 80+ Gold efficiency.

Are these the only three options at your disposal? If so, Seasonic get's my vote. EVGA would've gotten it around 10 years back.

TRENDING THREADS