Which game have you spent the most on microtransactions in?

Lauren Morton

Staff member

Hey PC Gamers welcome back to the chat log! Apologies for skipping the forum post the last couple weeks. (I'll make it up with a thread about the hidden gems this weekend, at least, because I'd like to hear all of yours.) In this week's intro I'll hint at where I've been for at least one of those weeks. But this week we're talking about the state of microtransactions with PCG brand director Tim Clark. You may know him for his Destiny 2 takes, so no surprise that he's got some feelings to share about where MTX in games is at right now.

Which game have you spent the most on microtransactions in?​

You don't have to out yourself on the actual amount you've spent, of course, just which game. For Tim, his long history with Hearthstone was the culprit. For Mollie, it's got to be one of those gacha games she plays. For me it's a real toss up between Elder Scrolls Online and Guild Wars 2. Those bear mounts really add up. What about you? Do you consider the cash you've spent worthwhile? Are there any games you're a little embarrassed to have spent money on at all? I really shouldn't have spent money on buying Nuka Colas in Fallout Shelter but I was weak.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Not a one. Give me some of those Stones of the Sinless so I can start thro.... oh wait. Did I pay real cash for the Self Destruct move in City of Heroes?? (google google google)

$10 from the NC Store back in 2008, includes lots of costume bits, auras, a few emotes. and the Self Destruct power.
View: https://youtu.be/ccKx8qVyAy0

WAY too slow to use reliably, but it does do great damage.... and kills you. It doesn't even leave a corpse, so nobody can rez you! But it was just too funny to pass up.

Later they made it one of the free extra possibilities when the Architect Edition was released. Later yet, it just cost the in-game influence, so just playing a while made it available.

Can I throw stones at the whale anyway? I promise not to aim for the blowhole.

Edit: Wait a minute, the batch of DLCs that included horse armor were the first DLCs. Do DLCs count as microtransactions? Sounds like a lot of "microtransactions" are at least as expensive as DLCs, so the "micro" part is certainly long gone.

Last edited:
I don't know, its so rare I play games with them. Maybe Age of Conan and that was 13 years ago now. And that was mostly mounts.

I don't play games on my phone so I have avoided the worse offenders. I resisted buying anything in Diablo 4, which was last game I played that had any.

I generally buy games that don't want their hands in my wallets to play them.

Wonder when Sims 4 is coming out, they probably trying to work out what they can't charge you as dlc. How little game can they include on release. Can they charge you for creating a character? Worth a try.

Reactions: Frindis
Wonder when Sims 4 is coming out

Not a one

Same here.

Only one I noticed MTX in was Far Cry 5, where you could spend real money on Silver Bars. I don't recall what they facilitated as I never needed whatever it was.

Do DLCs count as microtransactions?

I wouldn't think so, altho not my area of expertise and I can see how lines would blur. Innocent me sees DLC as an extra you can buy via retailer, whereas MTX are inducements which popup in-game.

Reactions: Frindis and Zloth
guess I forgot

I see 5 might be one day

I wouldn't think so, altho not my area of expertise and I can see how lines would blur. Innocent me sees DLC as an extra you can buy via retailer, whereas MTX are inducements which popup in-game.

Not all, a lot just show up on in game shops. Not all games push you to buy them. I am talking PC here, not mobiles.

Last edited:
I spent 1.99 USD for the PUBG starter package back in 2022. It included:
  • Spring Chick Jacket
  • Spring Chick Shirt
  • Spring Chick Shorts
  • 500 G-COIN
  • 10,000 BP
  • 50 Contraband Coupons
The spring gear outfit looked ugly, but the G-coins, BP, and Coupons made this an excellent deal. Just the G-coins would cost 4.99 USD if you bought 500 G-coins from the store. The BP you use for crates/keys and the coupons you can use for opening specific seasonal chests.

Reactions: Brian Boru and Alm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts