What to upgrade

May 23, 2024
Visit site
So ima preface by saying I don’t need to upgrade, pc is working great. I’m getting 130-160 fps on most games I’m playing. Escape from Tarkov, squad, Helldivers etc.

but if I wanted to upgrade what would I upgrade to get most bang for buck in fps. I have a 240hz monitor.

I have a
1050w power supply
7900xtx
I7 14300
Ddr5 32g 4000mhz
Prime b760m-A ax6 board

If I get an i9 14900 would that net me anything? Or faster ram.

Reactions: letsjam
May 27, 2024
Visit site
If I get an i9 14900 would that net me anything? Or faster ram.
Faster RAM is going to give you a serious uplift in performance. 6000MT/s with a CAS latency of 30 is generally considered to be the sweet spot for price-to-performance on both Intel's and AMD's current-gen platforms, so I'd recommend you get a kit at those specs (or higher if you have money to burn). This G.Skill Flare X5 32GB kit would be a great option for you. It's afordable, has good reviews, and comes from a reputable manufacturer. I wouldn't get an i9 without also upgrading your RAM as mentioned previously. Bottleneck city isn't a nice place to be.

I'd also like to ask: you have "i7 14300" there, but did you mean i3? There's no i7 with that model number. If you have an i3, I would strongly recommend you upgrade your CPU to at least an i5-class chip. The 14600KF is one of the best gaming CPUs, and it's pretty affordable.

• Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
May 23, 2024
Visit site
Faster RAM is going to give you a serious uplift in performance. 6000MT/s with a CAS latency of 30 is generally considered to be the sweet spot for price-to-performance on both Intel's and AMD's current-gen platforms, so I'd recommend you get a kit at those specs (or higher if you have money to burn). This G.Skill Flare X5 32GB kit would be a great option for you. It's afordable, has good reviews, and comes from a reputable manufacturer. I wouldn't get an i9 without also upgrading your RAM as mentioned previously. Bottleneck city isn't a nice place to be.

I'd also like to ask: you have "i7 14300" there, but did you mean i3? There's no i7 with that model number. If you have an i3, I would strongly recommend you upgrade your CPU to at least an i5-class chip. The 14600KF is one of the best gaming CPUs, and it's pretty affordable.
No it’s an I7 sorry I’m relatively new upgrading pcs so the numbers get me lost some. It’s a 14700

May 23, 2024
Visit site
is that 4k as I get more than that in most games I play on a 7900XT in 1440p, so I have to assume its 4k... you not going to get much higher refresh rate.
It’s 1080 cuz that’s my monitors resolution. Tarkov caps at 144 so I can’t pass that. Helldivers at 170 some times up to 200

1080p with a 7900XTX? I would expect higher refresh rate than that - even if monitor can't actually achieve it. Mine maxes out at 144 but GPU keeps trying.

admittedly the games I play aren't new
All of them anyway
2J9gor8.jpg

Newest "game" I played makes it look bad, but I don't know what you would get on the test
QbypkPS.jpg

I know 4090 can get 9000+

May 23, 2024
Visit site
1080p with a 7900XTX? I would expect higher refresh rate than that - even if monitor can't actually achieve it. Mine maxes out at 144 but GPU keeps trying.

admittedly the games I play aren't new
All of them anyway
2J9gor8.jpg

Newest "game" I played makes it look bad, but I don't know what you would get on the test
QbypkPS.jpg

I know 4090 can get 9000+
That’s kind of why I’m asking that. My monitor can go to 244 so I wanna get all I can. I know the games I play are more cpu heavy vs gpu but I expected alittle more out of the upgrade. I’m just not sure what it is?

Thats DDR4 speeds? DDR 5 starts at 4800 I think.

I dont play Tarkov but from a quick search people are saying an AMD 7800X3D is the best possible CPU for it and they are talking about getting 120 FPS in the most demanding maps.

If youre hoping to get to 240 FPS I dont think theres a chance with currently available hardware. Assuming you were mistaken and you have a DDR 4 version of that motherboard, your best chance of a boost would be to upgrade to faster DDR 5 RAM with a lower latency, that would involve a new motherboard and you'd probably still be underwhelmed with the upgrade.

If you havent already check out some guides for optimizing the in game settings and play with those. Good luck!

Reactions: Brian Boru
Thats DDR4 speeds? DDR 5 starts at 4800 I think.

it is slowest speed that works on motherboard, it can run much faster.

so faster ram is about only upgrade there is on that board right now.

DDR5 may not go slower than 4400 but DDR4 can't go any faster than 4600... so its the grey area. 4500mt appears to be dividing line. They can both do it. One can't go much faster, other can't go much slower.

scratch all that about ddr4
can do 5333mt

When you can get ddr4 that is faster than the ram in a DDR5 system, its time to upgrade it.

Not that I think our CPU could support that speed. I am happy with my 3200, I have to think about what is next... once i save the money to buy it all.

meanwhile, at other end of spectrum

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts