Question What should I upgrade first?

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site

hey im looking to upgrade my pc as I'm an average gamer. I built this pc about 2 years ago pretty cheap. What should I upgrade for maximum performance. Looking to get more fps and smoother gameplay. Currently I run at about 60-80fps but sometimes it drops to 30-40.

GeForce gtx 1050 3g gpu
AMD radion 7600 a-8 cpu
1t hdd
8gig ddr4 ram
Asus a68hm-k motherboard
650w beast power supply

Using this with an older Lenovo 1600x900 60hz monitor. (Had to get an adapter to fit vga monitor to hdmi gpu)

Reactions: AdvanceCoolin
I certainly suggest buying an SSD (two would be better) to replace your HDD for your OS and games. I have my OS installed on one SSD and my games on a second SSD with a larger HDD for random items like movies and music. Having your games installed on an SSD should give you much better FPS.
That would be what I would upgrade first.

Zoid

Community Contributor
I certainly suggest buying an SSD (two would be better) to replace your HDD for your OS and games. I have my OS installed on one SSD and my games on a second SSD with a larger HDD for random items like movies and music. Having your games installed on an SSD should give you much better FPS.
That would be what I would upgrade first.
An SSD will improve load times, not framerates, although it may improve stuttering when loading a new area in a game.

OP should still consider buying an SSD (I'd start with one larger one rather than two smaller ones) for general system performance, but it won't directly help with low framerates.

hey im looking to upgrade my pc as I'm an average gamer. I built this pc about 2 years ago pretty cheap. What should I upgrade for maximum performance. Looking to get more fps and smoother gameplay. Currently I run at about 60-80fps but sometimes it drops to 30-40.

GeForce gtx 1050 3g gpu
AMD radion 7600 a-8 cpu
1t hdd
8gig ddr4 ram
Asus a68hm-k motherboard
650w beast power supply

Using this with an older Lenovo 1600x900 60hz monitor. (Had to get an adapter to fit vga monitor to hdmi gpu)
What games are you playing that you'd like to improve performance in? Can you monitor your system utilization while gaming using something like MSI Afterburner? Neither the GTX 1050 GPU nor the AMD A8 7600 APU are particularly strong in modern games, so either could be your limiting factor. Of course, replacing A8 will mean a new motherboard as well.

Start by determining what component is being hit hardest by the games you're playing right now. That will be the component that stands to give you the greatest performance improvement if replaced.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
I will advise you to buy a completely new computer. All parts are old and if you plan to upgrade Gpu or cpu either one of those will bottlenech. Wait for new ryzen cpus and gpus and get the best deal possible. Of course it depends which games do you want to play. Save your hdd for disk space and consider buying new monitor, the difference is huge when you jump from 60hz to 144hz or even in resolution.

TRENDING THREADS