Question What should be my next upgrade?

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
What should I upgrade to keep up with new upcoming games?

CPU: Intel i5 4690k
RAM: 8GB RAM (DDR3)
GPU: Geforce gtx 980
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
I have similar rig and frankly, I plan on building a new PC instead of trying to upgrade. While CPU may still be fine in lot of cases, the GPU in my case is slowly being "done" with everything (mind you, I have 970 and not 980). Upgrading GPU is almost always the most straightforward way to upgrade anything, but also you're - just as me - stuck in DD3 in times where DDR5 is slowly approaching on the horizon.

If you really want to just upgrade and you're playing in 1920x1080 resolution then I guess upgrade'ing the GPU is the way to go. Not sure what's your budget, but something like 2060 Super should be good enough for next couple of years. And with CPU you can't really upgrade in meaningful way IMHO.

Reactions: Oussebon
Nothing.

There's never any point upgrading to 'get ahead' of future games. Because if your system copes fine for now, you don't need an upgrade now.

And if a new game comes out in (let's say) 6 months that you do need new hardware for to enjoy at very high settings, there's a very good chance that also new graphics cards / processors / other hardware will be out too. And so you could buy something even faster that what you can buy now for the same price.

You'll eventually need a new GPU. But increasingly with modern AAA games you may also want a new CPU too. Which as @OsaX Nymloth says, you can't upgrade without also a new motherboard and new RAM.

So hold fire on the upgrade until you actually need it.

If you are still gaming at 1080p 60hz, consider an upgrade to 1440p 144hz with adaptive sync: a triple upgrade - resolution, refresh rate, and synchronised framerate. Monitors of that class are more plentiful and more affordable than ever. You'll probably want a new GPU for one of those. Perhaps look into getting a new monitor and new GPU once your existing setup no longer satisfies you.

Reactions: Zoid

Zoid

Community Contributor
What should I upgrade to keep up with new upcoming games?
Nothing.

There's never any point upgrading to 'get ahead' of future games. Because if your system copes fine for now, you don't need an upgrade now.
This. Upgrade only as needed when your current system can no longer provide you with the performance you want in the games you're currently playing. Speculative upgrading will always empty your wallet faster than pragmatic upgrading.

MangoPop

BANNED
Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
new upcoming games specs haven't been released yet (what will be the new upcoming games and when?).

your system is fine to play any current title if you play at 1080p

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Depends on what you're playing at now. If you're at 1080p and 60 Hz, may not be much need in upgrading at all. However if you're wanting to move up to 1440 or 144+ Hz then a GPU upgrade would be my suggestion.

TRENDING THREADS