Solved What programs

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
can I safely install on my D drive? Or inversely, which ones might cause issues if not installed on C:?

For example, will Dropbox desktop app not work correctly if not installed on C:?

Solution
drivers have to be installed on C
windows updates have to be installed on C (though windows has been known to use other space for the image files)

there are ways to make windows change the default save location but windows isn't smart, it uses that location for everything so it breaks windows by doing it.

you can install anything anywhere but it just gets messy. Installing programs on D drive and then reinstalling windows leaves all the files still on D and only real thing left to do is delete the application folder as you can't use it on new install.

Almost every program you install creates an entry in the Registry and that is main barrier to reusing previously installed programs, the new registry has no idea about the old...
can I safely install on my D drive?
You can, eg I have all my games install on G: drive.

which ones might cause issues if not installed on C:?
The only one I've read that prefers C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) is Microsoft Office. Not sure if it's [still] true tho.

That said, I install all my non-games in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) 'just because'. They are Microsoft's main preferred locations, so may have some advantages.

As far as I know UAC will operate wherever you install, but maybe worth checking up on.

Reactions: shinkairi
windows updates have to be installed on C (though windows has been known to use other space for the image files)

there are ways to make windows change the default save location but windows isn't smart, it uses that location for everything so it breaks windows by doing it.

you can install anything anywhere but it just gets messy. Installing programs on D drive and then reinstalling windows leaves all the files still on D and only real thing left to do is delete the application folder as you can't use it on new install.

Almost every program you install creates an entry in the Registry and that is main barrier to reusing previously installed programs, the new registry has no idea about the old programs and manually entering them is not an easy task. I don't even try.

Some things don't, many games you can reuse again. Steam games are easy to reuse or even move around on drive. Shame Microsoft Games are complete opposite. I used to always install my windows library folders on 2nd drive as you can reuse things like music and pictures as many times as you like.

Solution
Nov 17, 2020
Visit site

Almost every program you install creates an entry in the Registry and that is main barrier to reusing previously installed programs, the new registry has no idea about the old programs and manually entering them is not an easy task. I don't even try.

Some things don't, many games you can reuse again. Steam games are easy to reuse or even move around on drive. Shame Microsoft Games are complete opposite. I used to always install my windows library folders on 2nd drive as you can reuse things like music and pictures as many times as you like.
Great.(y)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Just to be sure. The above sentence means that, if I reinstall windows for some reason, then the programs that were installed in D would no longer work?

TRENDING THREADS