What OS should I use in 2020?

Jun 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi folks,

Ill first introduce myself so you can get the context of my question. I am a developer and a Linux geek. I have several computers at home all running Linux and they work perfectly fine. My main desktop is running as the first day since 2016 with Ubuntu 16.

Now, I am about to buy a new PC so I can casually play around, not only for me, but for my daugthers as well, so they can play if they want some kids games like for instance, Toy Story 3 or Viva Piñata.

Now, to my question, I am not a hardcore gamer, so I am not interested in the latest iteration nor the newest games today. Some games I might casually play :
- Dirt 3
- Fear 2
- Half Life Black Mesa and HL2
- Starcraft 2.
- Metro Exodus

And stuff like that. My main concern is, as I have not used Windows in a loooong time, what OS should I install on this new machine so I do not have any headaches.
I have just seen a Youtube video and many people complain about Windows 10 and that you are better off setting Windows 7 ( some people even commented the bootleg version of W10 ).

What do you guys think? How can I set up a gaming pc just for casual gaming with the less amount of headaches? Should I go for W10 or W7?

BTW, the PC is a i5 with a GTX 1650 super and 8 GBs of RAM.

Reactions: usamatahir
Hi and welcome to the forums!

I'd say just use Windows 10. There's been some problems here and there with the Gamebar affecting frame rates and causing crashes for some people. But in my experience its worked just fine overall.

I can tell you out of the games you've listed Ive recently played Metro Exodus, F.E.A.R, HL2 and Black Mesa without any issues yet. I would imagine F.E.A.R 2 and Dirt 3 would also work fine. Occasionally you might have to tweak something with older games, but I feel like setting up Linux for gaming would be more work and some games still dont work at all. I can't imagine Starcraft 2 would have issues with Win 10 based on how popular it still is, and I played it on Windows 8.1 without issue for what that's worth.

There are some people who are worried about Cortana and MS tracking your usage and data, and those kinds of people are usually the ones holding on to Windows 7. So if that is a worry for you and you dont mind spending the time working it out I guess Windows 7 or whatever Linux distro will still work. However I dont think either of those options will cause less headaches for you than Windows 10, and I'm not the guy to advise on how best to do that.

Reactions: Matias-Barrios
Windows 7 is and was a great OS but due to it being end of life it isn't viable for today's usage, my main concern would be security risks now microsoft arent updating it.

I say windows 10, it's a great OS
I understand you haven't used a windows pc in a while but i'm sure you and your daughters will get used to it in less than a week.
Plus you can get it legal and free if you wish, Here is a pcgamer article on how.
Plus since you're an avid Linux user I say what's the harm in trying something new :)

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/windows-10-key-pc/

I would say Windows 10. I liked Windows 7 but it's not properly supported anymore.
Windows 10 is actually very easy to use and actually has a lot of free software.

If you really want to delve deep then just google Nirsoft. He has written utility programs to do just about anything!

If you are worried about Cortana and Telemetrics you can turn "most" of this off.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Windows 10. Frankly, you have no choice but luckily it's a mighty good OS still.

After the OS installs, go through the list of settings and evaluate them all. Unless you're willing to stay up to date on the intricates of viruses, ransomware, and other such things (which, as a developer, you just might be doing anyway) then I would strongly suggest you keep the auto-updates turned on.

P.S. Those are pretty hard core games for a casual. We really could use some more names for people's interest levels. It's like we've got names for the north and south pole but have left the rest under the "here there be monsters" label!

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi folks,

Ill first introduce myself so you can get the context of my question. I am a developer and a Linux geek. I have several computers at home all running Linux and they work perfectly fine. My main desktop is running as the first day since 2016 with Ubuntu 16.

Now, I am about to buy a new PC so I can casually play around, not only for me, but for my daugthers as well, so they can play if they want some kids games like for instance, Toy Story 3 or Viva Piñata.

Now, to my question, I am not a hardcore gamer, so I am not interested in the latest iteration nor the newest games today. Some games I might casually play :
- Dirt 3
- Fear 2
- Half Life Black Mesa and HL2
- Starcraft 2.
- Metro Exodus

And stuff like that. My main concern is, as I have not used Windows in a loooong time, what OS should I install on this new machine so I do not have any headaches.
I have just seen a Youtube video and many people complain about Windows 10 and that you are better off setting Windows 7 ( some people even commented the bootleg version of W10 ).

What do you guys think? How can I set up a gaming pc just for casual gaming with the less amount of headaches? Should I go for W10 or W7?

BTW, the PC is a i5 with a GTX 1650 super and 8 GBs of RAM.