What 'non violent' shooters are there?

PCG AndyC

News Lead
Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I was really impressed with Polygod. It's a randomized roguelike shooter, got a bit of a Lovely Planet visual vibe going, and it's really difficult. It's not non-violent in the strictest sense, shooting and getting shot is the name of the game, but there's no blood or dismemberment or anything like that. It's all quite cheery, really.

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I'm not sure if it 100% fits the question, but most aim training games like Aim Hero are non-violent because the targets and environments are completely abstract, unless you consider colorful orbs to be sentient :p

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I was really impressed with Polygod. It's a randomized roguelike shooter, got a bit of a Lovely Planet visual vibe going, and it's really difficult. It's not non-violent in the strictest sense, shooting and getting shot is the name of the game, but there's no blood or dismemberment or anything like that. It's all quite cheery, really.

Polygod is no longer available on Steam, at the request of the developer. I have no idea why, or if it is available anywhere else right now :(

Reactions: PCG AndyC

PCG AndyC

News Lead
Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Polygod is no longer available on Steam, at the request of the developer. I have no idea why, or if it is available anywhere else right now :(
Oh, that's weird. I see this message was posted in July: "We are no longer able to financially support Polygod and must close our business down. Because of this we will be removing Polygod from the Steam Store." Developer's website is gone too, but itt's still available from Humble though (I wonder if they can still provide codes that work?), and Xbox Live and Nintendo are still selling it too.

Shame, because it really is quite good. Sorry guys. :(

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
That's a weird message; I must not understand how selling games on Steam works. Is there an ongoing cost to make the game available through Steam once it is already listed? Or am I misunderstanding the situation? In any case it's good to know we can still check it out on other platforms.

PCG AndyC

News Lead
Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
That's a weird message; I must not understand how selling games on Steam works. Is there an ongoing cost to make the game available through Steam once it is already listed? Or am I misunderstanding the situation? In any case it's good to know we can still check it out on other platforms.
I don't think there is. Plenty of games remain for sale on Steam long after their developers are gone. One that I quite liked released back in 2012, tanked badly, developers had to throw in the towel and go their separate ways. Always thought that was a real shame. Anyway, the point is you can still buy it on Steam, so I don't think developer collapse alone would account for Polygod's removal.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
While the game is more a compilation of community-made gamemodes, some of which are violent, I've spent more than a few hours in Garry's Mod playing entirely nonviolent modes, like construction, prop hunt (Where you're shooting at crates and soda cans instead of people, though there are versions where it gets a bit more violent!), jumping puzzles, and surf maps.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
The Descent series maybe. It's just robots fighting each other. But if some of them look too much like a human shape then perhaps it wouldn't work. Also the robots break apart during fights so that could be interpreted as a form of gibs.

Reactions: Rensje
Slime Rancher is a very relaxing first person "shooter". You explore a fairly large and intricate world, collecting slimes with your vacuum blaster gun thing. You then start to upgrade your base in order to collect even more slimes, and different variety of slimes start to appear. It could be described as a bit of a metroidvania style game, because you are constanly backtracking to your base, and finding new locked doors and areas each time you go out to explore. Highly recommended after a stressful day.

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
I played through Supraland a couple months ago and it was quite fun and not violent at all. You play as a miniature red gummy looking person in someone's backyard and shoot little beams and orbs at cartoony skeletons and monsters. It's very inventive but I will say the puzzles can be kind of tough.

I haven't played too much of this game myself, but Risk of Rain 2 comes to mind. It's a third-person shooter with a heavy focus on co-op gameplay, but playing it solo is just as much fun. It has different unlockable character classes with unique abilities, tons of random pickups and a pretty strong roguelike element where every run is a bit different than the last.

67510.gif

RoR2 does the incremental upgrades thing where you unlock new items and characters after every run, making each new attempt a bit easier than the last. This really helps in co-op, as some classes and items synergise well with each other in interesting ways. You will need the advantage, as enemies are strong and plentiful and the bosses in this game are impressively big and very hard to defeat.

There's a strong feeling of barely controlled and constantly escalating chaos to this game that I really appreciate. It looks cool, it plays great and the music is so incredibly good. Definitely worth a try, this one!

TRENDING THREADS