What kind of sandbox game doesn't exist but should?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
I've always thought it would be cool to play a sandbox game ala The Borrowers or The Secret World of Arriety where you play in a normal world (like a family house and surrounding neighborhood) but on a tiny scale.

The normal survival game features could easily apply:
  • Go out and scavenge for food that gets dropped on the floor, or raid the cupboards and tear your way into a cereal box.
  • Build a home base inside the walls or up in a tree.
  • Avoid dangers like being seen by humans, or the family cat, or birds of prey.
  • Fight bugs or rats or other small pests with makeshift weapons you find, like a toothpick or a needle.
I think I've even seen a few people try to make a game like this but I don't know of any that got completed.
This sounds really fun!

Yes, exactly that.

Edit to add: But also with Sims-like "needs." So if you're sleepy or hungry, your performance suffers. As does the performance of NPC's.

Not to be "that" guy but I'm pretty sure, having "needs" was originally baked into the whole Radiant A.I anyway. I seem to remember Bethesda making a pretty big deal of it during their development videos for Oblivion. That the npcs in all the different villages and cities all had own routines, that included eating and sleeping as required and evening doing chores and visiting family in other towns. It was at the time, very impressive. Taking that and dialing it up to 11 would indeed be something to behold. I'd love developers to build on the how the world and npcs reacts and changes to the players actions, in more interesting and believable ways. Especially in its crime and law enforcement mechanics. Neither modern or medieval openworlds have really nailed a believable law enforcement system yet in my opinion. I do think some games have implemented it better than others though.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Krud
I'm back with another one!

I loved both Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War, but they suffered greatly from having one of the least charismatic protagonists I can think of. The lowest level warchief in the game is way more interesting than ranger guy and elf ghost, so ditch the fruity human hero and let me make my own scarred, misshapen, borderline insane Orc and try to take over every other tribe.

Middle Earth:Shadow of Morgoth!

I'm back with another one!

I loved both Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War, but they suffered greatly from having one of the least charismatic protagonists I can think of. The lowest level warchief in the game is way more interesting than ranger guy and elf ghost, so ditch the fruity human hero and let me make my own scarred, misshapen, borderline insane Orc and try to take over every other tribe.

Middle Earth:Shadow of Morgoth!

It would be fun it the other war chiefs are the (AI controlled) characters of your friends/other players.

Reactions: IndecentLouie
I would like some kind of Museum game sim.
* Compete against other Museums to become the number 1 visited in the world.
* You have to compete against other museums to get the most tourists in, choose your pieces carefully, balance the books and design of your museum. Have themed exhibitions, set your ticket prices, spend research money on restoring various pieces of work (hence being out of action for weeks whilst restoring goes on), educational visits from schools to consider, miss haps (a child has broken the Ming vase, and choose what to do about it), media relations, there's so much more!!!!
Is there a game like this, sounds a bit like Theme Hospital.

I would like some kind of Museum game sim.
* Compete against other Museums to become the number 1 visited in the world.
* You have to compete against other museums to get the most tourists in, choose your pieces carefully, balance the books and design of your museum. Have themed exhibitions, set your ticket prices, spend research money on restoring various pieces of work (hence being out of action for weeks whilst restoring goes on), educational visits from schools to consider, miss haps (a child has broken the Ming vase, and choose what to do about it), media relations, there's so much more!!!!
Is there a game like this, sounds a bit like Theme Hospital.

Seems like someone had a similar idea and is developing a game just like what you described: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1093820/Mondo_Museum/

Reactions: zippygeorgeandben

TRENDING THREADS