Question What kind of game do you wish existed, but doesn't?

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
How about a Karaoke game? Not one of those silly things where you're pushing buttons while some music plays, one where you get your microphone out and you SING!

I had something like this on the Wii, it was an American Idol game, and I didn't know most of the songs. I think Rock Band also let you sing, I had the Beatles one, which I did a lot better at!

I don't know why the PC hasn't done it, though. Not enough demand? *shrug*

Did they actually grade your singing, @Krud? Intonation, timing, and dynamics? Or just pass the audio through?

As far as I know it was just the timing and pitch. (Edit: Possibly also the dynamics at times, though don't quote me on that.) It being from well over a decade ago, I doubt they could swing anything much more advanced than that in realtime back then. But it'd be cool to see a more advanced one now that manages everything you named, though I think it might be a bit more alienating the more subjective it gets.

Reactions: Zloth

Zloth

Community Contributor
Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to do more than check to see how similar you are to the original music. "Artistic liberties" would be graded down, whether good or not. Still, it would make far more sense to me than pushing 4 buttons as dots rolled down the screen.

Reactions: Krud
Dec 17, 2020
Visit site
Sometimes you need a game with realism.

Alone in the Dark 1 with Tomb Raider graphics, either tomb raider 1996, or the new reboot version. THAT would be a game with a truly interesting world. Perhaps a bit of Phantasmagoria thrown in. Hm..

Dec 17, 2020
Visit site
Do NOT make me watch the main character's head get split open another dozen times like in Phantasmagoria, @ROFbeddingfield!! Even with cheap graphics, watching that over and over again got painful to watch. (I didn't have the little snow man thing.)

But think of the beauty,, with the modern reboot tomb raider graphics you could see the brain stem ....

The ability of modern processors, gpu, and ram, so much is being wasted and so much from the past game wise is not being reinvested upon.

imagine phantasmagoria with cyber punk 2077 or CONTROL graphics quality...... or the original alone in the dark.

Zloth

Community Contributor
But think of the beauty,, with the modern reboot tomb raider graphics you could see the brain stem ....
Nononononononooo!

Kinda reminds me about how, in the early episodes of Star Wars, when there were plenty of Jedi around willing to fight, the enemies suddenly changed into robots. If they had been fighting people, body parts would have been flying everywhere and the carnage would have been really horrific.

A good, thought out Star Trek FPS. Like Destiny meetings Star Trek or bladerunner or something. I would love to just run around popping heads off borg or fight klingons and then be able to wear all the gear they have on.

Dec 17, 2020
Visit site
A good, thought out Star Trek FPS. Like Destiny meetings Star Trek or bladerunner or something. I would love to just run around popping heads off borg or fight klingons and then be able to wear all the gear they have on.

There were a few first person star trek games in the early 90s. I remember one anyway, vga graphics, you had to go over every deck and do things, but all the decks were identical except for 4.

When it comes to star trek, nothing other then TOS, next gen, and voyager matter with fans. And the original movies.

I want a space opera CRPG revival game (think: Divinity OS) so bad! Basically a very open and isometric Mass Effect with lots of faction play and choice and consequence. The genre is like 90% fantasy and 9% post-apocalypse.

I've always wondered why it's never been done. I would it also. The only game I've seen is Stellar Tactics, whish is still in Early Access (and has been since 2016), but it shows promise.

The link to the Steam store page:

I realize this is an older thread, but it seems like a few have been resurrected lately.

I'd like to see a single player RPG, don't really care about the setting, where the developer spent time, resources, and research on developing a true AI for companions. Not just combat, but a true developing (over the course of a game) personality that responds, reacts, and grows, based on their time with you, world events, ect.

Bioware has had some great ones over the years, but it just seems like most developers today skim over companion development, when they could (if they took the time), create truly believable companions, whether human, alien, or animal.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I'd like to see a single player RPG, don't really care about the setting, where the developer spent time, resources, and research on developing a true AI for companions. Not just combat, but a true developing (over the course of a game) personality that responds, reacts, and grows, based on their time with you, world events, ect.
When developing Gal Civ 3, Stardock was musing over the idea of setting up some sort of cloud AI for enemies. It would learn from players what tactics worked well and try to adopt them. It didn't happen, but I wonder if it ever will. I mean, Tesla is using machine learning to figure out how to drive. Figuring out how to beat players shouldn't be so hard.

Though, from what I've read, it sometimes isn't about setting up an AI difficult enough to beat the player. That's easy. Players are way too lazy to calculate every aspect of an economy's needs every second, giving computers some heavy advantages. The main problem is that, once players figure out how to beat an AI, they've figured it out for good. Maybe an AI could provide a bunch of alternate difficulties for a player to solve?

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
Dec 17, 2020
Visit site
When developing Gal Civ 3, Stardock was musing over the idea of setting up some sort of cloud AI for enemies. It would learn from players what tactics worked well and try to adopt them. It didn't happen, but I wonder if it ever will. I mean, Tesla is using machine learning to figure out how to drive. Figuring out how to beat players shouldn't be so hard.

Though, from what I've read, it sometimes isn't about setting up an AI difficult enough to beat the player. That's easy. Players are way too lazy to calculate every aspect of an economy's needs every second, giving computers some heavy advantages. The main problem is that, once players figure out how to beat an AI, they've figured it out for good. Maybe an AI could provide a bunch of alternate difficulties for a player to solve?

The AI would be an easy opponent 50% of the time. If it learned by watching what was able to kill human combatants, it would be even easier to kill off.

Remember back to Star Trek and the kobyashi maru simulator. Kirk beat it by programming in the concept the human crew could win. Thats all he had to do.

example, if 80% of humans dodge left then down when a rocket is fired at them, the human will win if they do something else.

I think another main problem is that the AI still needs to be fun to play against, which is much harder to quantify for a computer.

I remember seeing a Starcraft 2 AI that could micromanage Mutalisks to all do hit and run tactics the entire time, avoiding a lot of counter fire. It was very effective, but I think it wouldn't be fun to play against because it would feel unfair. It would be impossible for a human to use the same tactic.

There are several RTS games that implement "alternate difficulties" in the form of different AI strategies, like Aggressive, Balanced and Defensive.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I think another main problem is that the AI still needs to be fun to play against, which is much harder to quantify for a computer.
That's what I... oh. That's what I meant to say then got distracted. <blush>

The big tactic humans have is that, if one person finds out how to beat the game, they can post the info on the internet and many people can then beat the game. Put some machine learning in there and that advantage goes away.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Dec 17, 2020
Visit site
insanity is the measure of learning. insanity is also the measure of understanding. DEVIANCE is the measure of applying what you have learned.

Any AI system can be beaten if any random human comes along and doesnt play with the game. If the poker game expects a person to bluff if they have even odds of winning the hand, then do somethingdrastic.

Very good topic, but can't think of anything. I remember as a kid, after playing C&C, this game would have been cool in a 3D setting with a first person view. Building factories and tanks, controlling them and at the same time: why not make it an FPS? Well, some years passed and C&C Renegade did all of that. Since then, no more complains :D

Reactions: Pifanjr

Bioware has had some great ones over the years, but it just seems like most developers today skim over companion development, when they could (if they took the time), create truly believable companions, whether human, alien, or animal.

The closest thing I've seen to this was a Skyrim companion mod, and I can't remember what it was called at the moment, but the companion evolved/leveled/grew based on how you interacted with them and what all you did in the game. I'm sure it was more branching choices and heavy scripting than any sort of "learning" AI, but it's still more than we get with most games.

Reactions: mainer
The closest thing I've seen to this was a Skyrim companion mod, and I can't remember what it was called at the moment, but the companion evolved/leveled/grew based on how you interacted with them and what all you did in the game. I'm sure it was more branching choices and heavy scripting than any sort of "learning" AI, but it's still more than we get with most games.

It's true, there are several mods of companions that are just so reactive to you and the world that make them so much more enjoyable to travel with, than many of the kind-of-generic characters in some games.

Skyrim & Skyrim SE have Vilja and Inigo who are just incredible. They both have an AI that will interact with some of Bethesda's companions, which can lead to some great interactions. Traveling with Inigo and Moll the Lioness in your party leads to some hilarious dialog between the two of them.

Willow (for FONV) is another modded companion that has an advanced AI that responds to you, your actions, world events, and other companions.

Characters like this are one of the main reasons I spend so many hours in Bethesda's (Obsidian for FONV), and one of the reasons that I find many publisher's efforts in this area disappointing.

Skyrim & Skyrim SE have Vilja and Inigo who are just incredible. They both have an AI that will interact with some of Bethesda's companions, which can lead to some great interactions. Traveling with Inigo and Moll the Lioness in your party leads to some hilarious dialog between the two of them.

Yeah, those two are great. I haven't used Inigo in a while, but I always install Vilja. I think the one I'm thinking of is named Lucien? Or something along those lines. He starts off rather wet behind the ears and naive, but is a fast learner, and eventually becomes competent, the more dragons you fight. (I don't know how crucial it is that it be dragons. Maybe it's just leveling in general.) And you get to choose what skills he learns. I think he also interacts with Inigo and Vilja.

Reactions: Pifanjr and mainer

TRENDING THREADS